PDA

View Full Version : Why do DVC properties require so few points...

Mendelson
01-22-2014, 03:37 PM
...compared to moderates, for example?

I am considering renting points for the Poly for our next trip and then nearly gagged when I saw how pricey it would be. Out of curiosity I looked at the moderate points chart and again...so much more expensive than DVC properties!

For example, I was looking at CBR and for the nights in question it was about 22 points per night. Same nights at the Boardwalk (deluxe studio, so a similar type room) was only 14, despite being nicer accommodations in general.

They are really pushing you into the DVC properties in this way. Anyone care to explain why?

Thanks!

WRWDisney
01-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Sure, DVC owners own the DVC properties (in the simplest of terms). When you stay at a moderate, DVC is actually "selling" your points to someone not in DVC, so that they can stay at the DVC resort. They are then using that income to pay the Disney hotel.

That is it in the most basic sense. You have to remember that there are multiple corporate entities within the Disney sphere, and each has a fiduciary responsibility to turn a profit. They do not always "play well" together.

DizneyRox
01-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Moderates have daily housekeeping, etc that increases the cost. DVC is always a better value than using points elsewhere.

Mendelson
01-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Thanks!

Lindsey310
01-25-2014, 10:54 PM

I am considering renting points for the Poly for our next trip and then nearly gagged when I saw how pricey it would be. Out of curiosity I looked at the moderate points chart and again...so much more expensive than DVC properties!

For example, I was looking at CBR and for the nights in question it was about 22 points per night. Same nights at the Boardwalk (deluxe studio, so a similar type room) was only 14, despite being nicer accommodations in general.

They are really pushing you into the DVC properties in this way. Anyone care to explain why?

Thanks!

You can't rent points for a moderate, only for a deluxe. :secret:

14 days!!!! :blush:

DizneyRox
01-26-2014, 07:18 AM
You can't rent points for a moderate, only for a deluxe. :secret:

Yeah you can.. It's called The Disney Collection... By renting I'm sure they are referring to paying a DVC owner to book a vacation using their points for you.

VWL Mom
01-26-2014, 08:37 AM

While renting points for DVC saves money, it may end up costing more than a discounted room for a regular hotel stay. Using points for most things outside of DVC is not very cost effective IMO.

Lindsey310
01-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Yeah you can.. It's called The Disney Collection... By renting I'm sure they are referring to paying a DVC owner to book a vacation using their points for you.

Wow I seriously never knew that :thumbsup:

Mendelson
01-27-2014, 04:03 PM
While renting points for DVC saves money, it may end up costing more than a discounted room for a regular hotel stay. Using points for most things outside of DVC is not very cost effective IMO.

That's very true. For the dates I'm looking for I can get the room for 14 points per night, times $11 per point, for $154 per night. Then I'd buy the tickets separately.

Getting a discounted package or room rate I'm guessing will be about the same, and we stay at moderates. BUT I've wanted to stay at the Boardwalk for a long time and so even if it is a little more to do it this way, it at least gives me better accommodations at a great location at a place I've wanted to stay at for awhile, at about the same price.