PDA

View Full Version : Disney 2nd Career

RhodeHog
01-22-2014, 12:32 PM
A couple of weeks ago I met two CMs who have retired from professional careers (one an MIT graduate) who were enjoying a second career at WDW. They loved their jobs and were great with people. Neither seemed like they HAD to work for retirement but enjoyed the work and the place. How cool is that!?!

wdwaggie
01-22-2014, 02:26 PM
I think that would be awesome! When we rode the friendships at EPCOT and DHS, it didn't seem like there was a Captain less than 65yo! So why not, it probably beats the **** out of being a WalMart greeter, no disrespect to WalMart.

Susan A
01-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Very cool. I tell people I want to retire and fold t shirts in a gift shop. They laugh. Little do they that I'm only partially kidding! :secret:

01-22-2014, 02:28 PM
A couple of weeks ago I met two CMs who have retired from professional careers (one an MIT graduate) who were enjoying a second career at WDW. They loved their jobs and were great with people. Neither seemed like they HAD to work for retirement but enjoyed the work and the place. How cool is that!?!

I know how "cool" it is. I get to live that life myself. Been doing it for 5 years now.

As I always tell people I used to work with, It's a tough life but someone has to do it.

BrerGnat
01-22-2014, 03:20 PM
I want to do that. I think it's a great way to spend retirement years.

wdwaggie
01-22-2014, 04:07 PM
It's settled then, have them save me a spot for Jul 23rd, 2032, I'm there!!

Quadstriker
01-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Disney seems like it would nice place to work if you don't need a paycheck.

WDWdriver
01-22-2014, 04:37 PM
When my kids were growing up we would often vacation at WDW. After each trip I would tell them "when I retire I'm going back to work at Disney World". They would laugh and say "right Dad, sure you are!"

Well here I am, and still enjoying it. :mickey:

BTW, my daughter works in parade units at AK and MK, and my son works aboard one of the Disney cruise ships. I guess it's a family thing.

01-22-2014, 05:07 PM
I always joked that I had CM envy when I first set foot in the place in '73. Daughter worked College Program in '95 at Studios and stayed for 5 years at Typhoon.

I got lucky and got hired to Main St. Operations (Parade Audience Control, turnstiles, Town Sq. Theater and Steam Trains) in '09.

Love what I get to do. Said thruout the years that my ultimate job was to pilot the Monorail, because if you had an Altzheimers moment, you couldn't get lost. Now that I work PAC most all the time I don't even think about Monorails anymore.

mechanic
01-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Early retirement in 6 years. Then that's my plan too.

Mrs Bus Driver
01-23-2014, 07:41 AM
When I worked as a school bus driver there were many who did it as their retirement job. As for the money it was their fun money, paid for golf and timeshares. What a great bunch of people they really loved their jobs. I can recall their many acts of kindness for their students. And it was fun to sit in the lounge and swap Bus-Tails with them because "Kids do the darndest things".:mickey:

AndrewJackson
01-23-2014, 09:53 AM
I always wanted to drive the tram at Fort Wilderness, or work in the Meadow Trading Post.

rjmdds
01-23-2014, 12:07 PM

I am curious…what were there their jobs at WDW?

Gator
01-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Sounds like a dream come true. Me and the wife could work there in our twilight years, enjoying the end at our favorite place. What a great idea!

Roger's #1 Fan
01-23-2014, 12:36 PM
My wife and I also talk about moving to the Happiest Place on Earth after all the kids are out (about 8-10 years to go). She's a nurse so she would have no trouble getting work in her field down there. I would be more than happy piloting the monorail or working in the park.

My middle DD is pursing a culinary arts career and has also talked about working in Disney as an intern. The school she is looking at (CIA) has a strong program with ties to Disney.

WDWdriver
01-23-2014, 07:42 PM
I always wanted to drive the tram at Fort Wilderness, or work in the Meadow Trading Post.

The trams, AJ? What about being an engineer on the FW Railroad? You are taking us back in time! LOL

LandFan
01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
It's settled then, have them save me a spot for Jul 23rd, 2032, I'm there!!

oooh - it should be 2032 for me and DH too!!! I'm there!! (or at DL!)

momef3grls
01-23-2014, 08:21 PM
I watch the job postings every day. I am a 911 supervisor for a county in PA and I watch for my retirement. Seven more years and I can retire with benefits then go to my happy place :cloud9: and finish it out. I told my husband of my plan and he is not totally on board just yet but I am working on it.:blush:

mechanic
01-24-2014, 03:08 AM
People always say I never smile and have a dour look.
So maybe ride attendant at haunted mansion? Lol. Thing is, as soon as we drive under the big welcome sign I can't stop smiling.

brad817
01-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Darn, I guess I'm not the only one who has/had this idea. I want to drive a Disney bus when I'm 50. That's the goal. That's the dream........The monorail sounds pretty good too!!

Can't wait. :mickey: