PDA

View Full Version : Kinkos Help / Wedding Help

LittleSpirit02
01-14-2014, 12:41 AM
So I'm looking into alternatives to cut down on the cost on wedding invitations. Online I found packs of A7 cardstock for about 5 bucks a pack (25 in each).

If I buy these cardstock and have a design on my laptop that I want to print on them to Kinkos (color printing - just blue)... what would the cost be? Does anyone have experience? Can I bring my own paper to them or would I have to buy their cardstock?

If that's too expensive - how fancy a printer would I need to print a relatively simple blue printed invitation on cardstock?

DizneyRox
01-14-2014, 07:09 AM
I've had them print prop newspapers for me before, I provided my own paper, so I'm sure they can use your own stock, make sure you get enough to experiment with.

I've also run pretty heavy stock (business card) through my personal printer with out issue. There are usually settings to tell it it's heavy paper. It's best to use the most straight through feed mechanism as possible, if you printer doesn't have a fairly straight shot though, don't risk it.

Janmac
01-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Check out what your local office supply stores sell card stock for. They will have lots of different weights and colors of paper.

My niece was doing a cost conscious wedding last year and went with photo cards for her invitations. About like postcards. We had considered printing the invitations ourselves but she liked the ability to include photos of herself, her fiancé and her daughter in amongst the text. Uploaded photos to a website that does cards, etc., picked her font, design, etc.. The photo cards were 70 cents each, with envelopes. She got matching address labels for $8/25. The postage was a considerable cost we hadn't thought about. :blush:

She invited almost as many people on Facebook. Some folks that received mailed invitations wanted Facebook invites as well. :confused: Times they are a'changin'.

The printer I currently have (Canon PIXMA MG5220) and the one before that both accept card stock very well. As long as my greeting card program(s) worked, I printed my own cards (liked the sayings better).

The printer itself is wireless and about a $100 - $200 on Amazon, depending where you buy it from. It's a multi-tasker and does faxing, copying, printing and something else. (I was just thinking the other day how in the ever loving blue-eyed world did I ever survive without a copier?!?) This printer has two sources for paper - depending on paper thickness.

Only problem with printing your own is that the ink isn't as impervious to liquids.

Just call Kinkos and ask for info on costs and supplying your own paper. They probably get weirder questions. And if you get someone on the other end that doesn't seem to know anything, call back at a different time of day. :D

Jan

Dulcee
01-16-2014, 11:47 AM
We used vistaprint for our invites. I think grand total I spent $50 on invites, RSVP cards, info inserts and envelopes. We ordered 60 ish invites if memory serves.

You can use one of their standard designs or design your own. I designed all of our cards on powerpoint and was able to upload the entire finished design. They came out really, really nice.

If you sign up with any major wedding website (the knot, wedding bee) they'll send you a link for discounts on wedding invites through Vistaprint.

We were able to print addresses on the envelopes using our home computer which saved my hand and some cost.

Only note is vistaprint is slow to ship so plan ahead.