PDA

View Full Version : Name ideas for anIrish Pub

Jim&AngieMarriner
01-14-2014, 12:35 AM
Hey gang,
I need a little creative help. A co worker and I are kicking around the idea of opening an Irish Pub :beer::beer::beer: when we get back from Afghanistan. We are drawing a blank as to what to name it. We want something Unique but still have a classy feel to it and be somewhat recongizable as being Irish.
Anyone have any good unique ideas for a name?
:confused:

LittleSpirit02
01-14-2014, 01:00 AM
Hmmm - when I came up with my business name I started by making a list of appropriate words...

- Killarney
- Dublin
- Grafton
- Half Penny
- Molly Malone
- (any Irish last names in your history)?
- Limerick
- Cottage
- Celtic
- Athenry
- Raglan
- Galway
- (any other city, town, county you might have history)
- Emigrant
- Shamrock
- Harp
- Green
- Finegan's Wake
- Lannigan's Ball
- Craic
- Sean Nos
- Whiskey in the Jar
- the Wild Rover
- Hurling
- Black Velvet Band (or pub ;) )

Jim&AngieMarriner
01-14-2014, 01:34 AM
Littlespirit- Some good suggestions in there. Ive thought of maybe 40% of them already. Its nice when great minds think alike.

We havent found the right name yet though because it hasnt just CLICKED, you know? So thats why we are asking you fine folks.

1DisneyNut
01-14-2014, 09:02 AM
I don't remember where I was but I saw an Irish Pub once named "Finnegan's Pub." It was a really nice looking place and the name has always stuck in my head.

Tink1
01-14-2014, 09:19 AM
The Banshee

Nanc

mickclub1955
01-14-2014, 09:21 AM
How about "The Blarney Stone"

paymerich
01-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Finnegan's Wake
Star of the County Down
The Tin Whistle
Thistle and Peat
Donegal's Fine Dine
Barley Masters
The Quiet Man

1DisneyNut
01-14-2014, 10:27 AM
The Tin Whistle

This one in particular stands out to me. It has that name recognition and attention grabbing factor that makes you say "Hey what is this place?" and want to check it out.

Scar
01-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Do a search for Irish folk song lyrics. You'll find something original and catchy.

PopPhan
01-14-2014, 11:31 AM
I am really fond of the Irish Pub here in York -- Maewyn's.

Maewyn Succat was the actual name of St. Patrick.

SBETigg
01-14-2014, 11:43 AM
I like the Banshee. Good one. Or Banshee related. The Banshee's Song. The Shrieking Banshee. But it's got to click for you. I know what you mean.

Any Irish names in your history would help. Kinsale's is a chain Irish place, and there's the Black Rose in Boston. And Ri Ra in Portland. Irish folk songs might help you come up with something.

Janmac
01-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Have a nice graphic on the sign of an old salty fisherman (didn't all those Irish go out in small boats?) and call it:

The Irish Mariner

There was a some old person of literature (Sherri might know) who was going to retire from the sea and walk with his oar until no one knew what it was for. And that was where he was going to live.

So you've come a long way (from Afghanistan) to start this pub. Make up some great back story (in the best Imagineering) that may or may not have any bearing on reality and that's how your pub got its name. It might help with the décor too. :D

Jan

Arielfan98
01-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Don't forget the name Patrick or maybe Lucky Charm Pub if that's not too cliche :secret:

merciantinkerbell
01-15-2014, 06:19 AM
Ireland is also known as The Emerald Isle. Hope that inspires, if it does, mine's a pint of Magners :cheers:

SBETigg
01-15-2014, 11:19 AM
There was a some old person of literature (Sherri might know) who was going to retire from the sea and walk with his oar until no one knew what it was for. And that was where he was going to live.

I'm not certain, but I think this might be in James Joyce's Ulysses as it echoes Homer's Odysseus from The Odyssey. There's probably lots of inspiration in James Joyce. Dubliners. Finnegan's Wake.

Janmac
01-15-2014, 04:42 PM
I think you're right - sounds familiar. But I couldn't have come up with the names myself!

Altho I woke up about midnight thinking Homer.

James Joyce would be a lot of inspiration.

Thanks, Sherri.

Jan

SBETigg
01-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Oh, hey I just had another idea, inspired by the widespread mistake of the name of a favorite Disney restaurant. You could call your Irish pub O'Hana.

:)

Sorry. Had to say it. 'Ohana means family. O'Hana has got to be an Irish pub somewhere.

MizMissy
01-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Barley and Blarney

joonyer
01-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Naggins & Shoulders

Look it up.

hoop de do
01-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Wild Irish Rose Pub
Hooligan's Pub
Emerald Isle Pub
Top "O" the Morning Pub

Melanie
01-23-2014, 06:32 PM
The Quiet Man. :D

Seriously....open it up Jim and I'll be one of your first customers. :beer:

crazypoohbear
01-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Bangers and Craic
Kegs and reels
Shellelagh Shack
:mickey:

Zawadi
01-25-2014, 05:20 PM
What a Cork(er)
The Liffey Arms
The Blarney Stone
Murphy's Law
The Shehy Barn

Altair
01-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Do a search for Irish folk song lyrics. You'll find something original and catchy.

Captain Farrell's

Stickey
01-31-2014, 04:52 PM
The Mad Leprechaun
The Black Friar
The Cork & Pint
Kilarney Castle
St. James Gate

Cinderelley
02-05-2014, 04:53 AM
Are you able to steer us a little in the direction of what you are envisioning? It may help with coming up with a name. Dark? Quaint? Brightly lit? Rowdy? Type of decor?

I like mythical stuff so I was thinking of Dagda's Cauldron.