PDA

View Full Version : New Park Maps

indytraveler
01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
This past December was my first visit in 2 years to the WDW parks. The one thing I noticed was that the map for Epcot and Studios were printed upside down. They have the entrance to the park on the top of the page, backwards imo. However, the AK and MK park maps have the entrance at the bottom of the page.

I like reading the map as you walk into the park. Seeing what's ahead of you in their correct places. Right side is right side and left is left. Not the other way around.

Was there a poll taken that said this was how the people wanted the maps, entrance on the top? Or is this a mistake? Hopefully its a mistake and I have some collector items. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Scar
01-10-2014, 12:16 PM
You need a map? ;)

Gator
01-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Hmm, that's wreird. It wasn't that way in Dec 2012. I know that the gates to both of those parks are on the norht side, so maybe someone thought it should be a true to life map. But that would be really confusing. Not sure why they would pull the trigger on that.

Goofy4TheWorld
01-10-2014, 02:16 PM
The new "upside down" maps left me lost and mad in October 2013.

DizneyFreak2002
01-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Someone mentioned the reason the maps are like that now is because they are printed directionally correct... If you enter Epcot by Spaceship Earth, you are facing south... That is why the entrance is at the top of the map now, top is North...

Look at Google Earth (or Google maps) and Spaceship Earth is north, World Showcase is south, just like the new maps... DAK the entrance is facing south, which would correspond to the bottom of the map... Magic Kingdom, same thing, entrance is facing south (bottom of map).. DHS, the entrance actually faces east...

1DisneyNut
01-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Who in the world thought that would be a good idea? Park maps are all about perspective. You get them at the entrance so it should be printed from that perspective to prevent confusion. If you just walked in the entrance and want to look where to go, the first thing you will have to do is figure out where you are on the upside down map and then turn the map over. Then you have to turn it back around to read and then back around to look at the map. I have gotten some printed like that somewhere else before and it was maddening. I started just looking at the "You are here" boards througout the park.

Even on my phone using google maps, I sometimes turn off the "Auto rotate" so I can turn the phone and map to my viewing perspective.

AndrewJackson
01-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Someone mentioned the reason the maps are like that now is because they are printed directionally correct... If you enter Epcot by Spaceship Earth, you are facing south... That is why the entrance is at the top of the map now, top is North...

Look at Google Earth (or Google maps) and Spaceship Earth is north, World Showcase is south, just like the new maps... DAK the entrance is facing south, which would correspond to the bottom of the map... Magic Kingdom, same thing, entrance is facing south (bottom of map).. DHS, the entrance actually faces east...

It does appear that is the reason the printed the maps "upside down". It would have made a lot more sense to print them "right side up" and add a compass rose showing N.

DizneyFreak2002
01-11-2014, 08:42 PM
It does appear that is the reason the printed the maps "upside down". It would have made a lot more sense to print them "right side up" and add a compass rose showing N.

I think it is part of the reason... The other part, NextGen and this MyMagic stuff... Take a look at the app, go to Epcot, look at the Epcot map... Presto: looks just like the new printed maps...

I believe, since the bands are tracking guests, and the app ties into the WiFi, can determine your location, the "upside down" maps are in direct correlation to this program... Print the maps the "directional correct" way, do the same with the map on the app, and add in the GPS tracking on the app/smart phone plus the bands... it all makes sense...

indytraveler
01-13-2014, 11:37 PM
You need a map? ;)

Actually I use them as souvenirs. Or when I know some rookies are going I'll give them a map to show them the lay of the "World". Plus I keep them to show everyone how big they used to be as well.

indytraveler
01-13-2014, 11:42 PM

I just looked at the very bottom of the map and saw they have a compass showing directional North. So if only I knew which way North was while in the park...

JerseyDad
01-14-2014, 09:29 AM
I think it is part of the reason... The other part, NextGen and this MyMagic stuff... Take a look at the app, go to Epcot, look at the Epcot map... Presto: looks just like the new printed maps...

I believe, since the bands are tracking guests, and the app ties into the WiFi, can determine your location, the "upside down" maps are in direct correlation to this program... Print the maps the "directional correct" way, do the same with the map on the app, and add in the GPS tracking on the app/smart phone plus the bands... it all makes sense...

.....and the trusty GPS rears its ugly electronic head again. GPS needed in the WDW parks? I know they are tying all the apps and smartphone tech together ...but ....they're amusement parks ....we're not going to Antarctica!! :D

....makes me actually wonder if anyone will know how to read a map 10 yrs from now ...or ...what a map is?

I just looked at the very bottom of the map and saw they have a compass showing directional North. So if only I knew which way North was while in the park...

.....don't fret the whole 'north direction thing'. I often wake up in the morning ...and the first thought that crosses my mind is: "Hmmmm? Which way is north"?! Then ....I just wing it......and 9 out of 10 times ...I find my way to the bathroom ;)

indytraveler
01-14-2014, 11:21 AM

I didn't think about this one until much later. Please use the app on your smartphone so they can track you with GPS while you're at the parks. Brilliant. Not only will they know which attractions I ride and how often but where I eat, what I eat and more importantly which bathrooms I use and how often.

Maybe they'll be issuing FP+ for those as well. Track the complete WDW experience.

Janmac
01-14-2014, 12:27 PM
..... and 9 out of 10 times ...I find my way to the bathroom ;)

:eek:

....makes me actually wonder if anyone will know how to read a map 10 yrs from now ...or ...what a map is?

:ditto:

To paraphrase the guy in the movie: maps are good, maps are great. They can do what they want to with KTTW or FP but please please puhleese keep the maps.

Best souvenir ever. Even if they are upside down.

Jan

01-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Sometimes I wonder why we even have the maps. Based on some of the questions we get when guests have the map open, they can't read them anyway.

Be surprised how many times we get asked by guests standing at the HUB, by the Castle, and want to know where the exit is or how to get to the Monorail.

TheVBs
01-15-2014, 01:32 PM
That is going to drive my husband crazy! LOL! We only get the maps for souvenirs these days, but it will sure look strange to see them "upside down."

MrPeetrie
01-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know if the latest Animal Kingdom maps reflect the new locations for both Festival of the Lion King, as well as for future Avatarland?

Just curious.

DizneyFreak2002
01-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know if the latest Animal Kingdom maps reflect the new locations for both Festival of the Lion King, as well as for future Avatarland?

Just curious.

Latest maps have CMM completely gone... Did not see any mention of the new FOTLK location...

1DisneyNut
01-15-2014, 06:26 PM

Just curious.

I haven't seen them but I seriously doubt it. Usually when an attraction is closed for refurbishment, it disappears from the map so I doubt an attraction or land that isn't even anywhere near opening will be on the map. They apparently print the maps on the fly very regularly. It almost has to be at least weekly. I wouldn't be surprised if they have staff that works full time on the maps and prints them daily.

MrPeetrie
01-15-2014, 07:44 PM
ok, thanks, 1DisneyNut.

Goofy4TheWorld
01-16-2014, 08:05 AM
.....don't fret the whole 'north direction thing'. I often wake up in the morning ...and the first thought that crosses my mind is: "Hmmmm? Which way is north"?! Then ....I just wing it......and 9 out of 10 times ...I find my way to the bathroom ;)

What happens the one out of ten times you don't find your way?

Mrs Bus Driver
01-16-2014, 04:52 PM

I have signs to point the way, that way I don't have to worry about that 1 in 10 time. :haha:

JerseyDad
01-16-2014, 07:30 PM
What happens the one out of ten times you don't find your way?

......well ...you think the Haunted Mansion is scary?

....I'd tell you ...but then you'd be sending me you therapist bills ....:eek:

DisneyDawgette
01-20-2014, 01:16 PM
......well ...you think the Haunted Mansion is scary?

....I'd tell you ...but then you'd be sending me you therapist bills ....:eek:

All map-talk aside, this made my day. :funny:

thejens
01-21-2014, 12:38 AM
This is perhaps off track a bit, but does anyone find a need for a better map of the entire WDW? I can find my way in the parks, but when I am in my car heading from resort to park it gets crazy. And once while using my GPS it took me to the staff only entrance! I find the signs confusing and misleading. And it is not as if I've never been there!

Scar
01-21-2014, 09:07 AM
This is perhaps off track a bit, but does anyone find a need for a better map of the entire WDW? I can find my way in the parks, but when I am in my car heading from resort to park it gets crazy. And once while using my GPS it took me to the staff only entrance! I find the signs confusing and misleading. And it is not as if I've never been there!I find the transportation map (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/images/transportation.jpg) to be good. You have to ask for it at check in.

LandFan
01-23-2014, 08:09 PM
I agree - we like the transportation map. It's not too hard to follow.

So they really printed the maps this way, huh? That is going to make this ocd designer a bit cranky, lol.