PDA

View Full Version : Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights

dkmwong
01-09-2014, 07:14 PM
While we were at WDW this past December we heard from several cast members that 2013 would be the last year for the lights. How true do you think this is?

Strmchsr
01-09-2014, 08:09 PM
It seems to be a very real possibility, but no final decision has been made yet. It boils down to does Disney want to invest the money to upgrade the technology or scrap it all together. That's the only two choices right now. And, given TDO's track record I wouldn't count on them investing the money.

Ian
01-09-2014, 10:37 PM
This rumor actually cropped up when Disney was thinking of spending all that money on expanding DHS. Since that's now off the table, I'd be shocked if they did away with Osborne Lights. I think it will be back next Christmas.

DizneyFreak2002
01-09-2014, 11:38 PM
This rumor actually cropped up when Disney was thinking of spending all that money on expanding DHS. Since that's now off the table, I'd be shocked if they did away with Osborne Lights. I think it will be back next Christmas.

Unless, like Chris said, TDO does not invest in the necessary upgrading which needs to be done.. Heard many reports this year about lights being out in the displays and other things not working like in past years... We all know where that leads in Orlando... Shut down!!!!

As for the spending on DHS, yea, well, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens until after Disney Springs is finished...

Altair
01-10-2014, 06:35 AM
Even the purple cat had some lights out on it. :(

mozman
01-10-2014, 08:27 AM
who or what is TDO? TIA!

PaDisneyMom
01-10-2014, 09:28 AM
We were at Disney 12/7 - 12/14 and while at the Osborne Lights were standing near 2 guys with jackets on that read Osborne lights crew. They were on walkie talkies and had clip boards. I said I had heard a rumor that this was the last year for the lights. He said that was just a rumor and not true. I then asked him when a certain song would be playing. He used his radio to ask and then give me the answer.

About 5 minutes after we spoke he came up to me and said fyi - we were just approved for more money to add more lights - that is what we are doing - seeing what needs to be repaired and where we can add more. Hope it is true!

Strmchsr
01-10-2014, 09:33 AM
who or what is TDO? TIA!

TDO = Team Disney Orlando. It's the management team that oversees Walt Disney World. Conversely, TDA would be Team Disney Anaheim. Each park has their own president and management structure. TDA has proven to be much more true to Walt's original vision. The TDO team, recently, has proven to be a bunch of cheap skates who nickle and dime the guests and refuse to invest the proper amount of money on new rides and keeping the old rides up to standard even though they're rolling in record profits.

indytraveler
01-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Having seen this for the first time this year Dec. 26th. I would be disappointed if this wasn't allowed to continue. There are over 1 million lights? I think overall it is a very overwhelming display. Keep it going.

mozman
01-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the TDO explanation.

Unfortunately, that's much the way of corporate america.... once you come to a point in cost efficiencies, they start to nickel and dime.... becuuse all those coins do add up to more money in executive pockets. But I'm glad to hear the Disneyland is keeping up Walt's dream. I was there in August and had a blast!

Gator
01-10-2014, 02:09 PM
I can't imagine if TDO doesn't invest in a Radiator Springs Racer attraction that they mothball DHS's biggest holiday draw. I would imagine people spend a lot of money just to visit and see those lights.I could be wrong, but in this case, I bet I'm not.

DizneyFreak2002
01-10-2014, 03:48 PM
I can't imagine if TDO doesn't invest in a Radiator Springs Racer attraction that they mothball DHS's biggest holiday draw. I would imagine people spend a lot of money just to visit and see those lights.I could be wrong, but in this case, I bet I'm not.

Not wrong... Not wrong at all... The Osborne lights help drive DHS attendance.. Seriously.. Remove them and DHS will drop... Just like Food and Wine help drive Epcot's attendance... Stop Food and Wine, and even Flower and Garden, and Epcot's attendance drops...

Since there are no expansions starting for at least 3 years, I honestly can't see these lights going anywhere in 2014... But, if they do go, I also wouldn't be surprised... Would be a move TDO would make...

Ian
01-10-2014, 09:01 PM
I must have viewed the lights with rose colored glasses or something. I didn't notice a single bulb out or any problems it all. It was just as magical and wondrous for me as it is every time I see it. :mickey:

Prudence
01-10-2014, 09:03 PM
This is probably a dumb question but what does the Osborne family have to do with disney or a light show?

Altair
01-10-2014, 09:12 PM
This is probably a dumb question but what does the Osborne family have to do with disney or a light show?

The Osborne's are a family from Arkansas whose Christmas display got out of hand and was ended by the city. Either they approached Disney or Disney approached them about moving the display to WDW and the rest is history. Disney has added more lights over the years. It has nothing to due with Ozzy the Prince of Darkness. :mickey:

Prudence
01-10-2014, 09:41 PM
The Osborne's are a family from Arkansas whose Christmas display got out of hand and was ended by the city. Either they approached Disney or Disney approached them about moving the display to WDW and the rest is history. Disney has added more lights over the years. It has nothing to due with Ozzy the Prince of Darkness. :mickey:

Lol...well, that makes more sense.

denygold
01-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Per Jim Hill- the lease from the Osborne Family is up in 2014 or 2015 and they are asking for $$.
The name and configuration may change- but they are a huge draw- can't imagine that they would be dropped.

Ian
01-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Per Jim Hill- the lease from the Osborne Family is up in 2014 or 2015 and they are asking for $$.
The name and configuration may change- but they are a huge draw- can't imagine that they would be dropped.Jennings Osborne is dead. If I was Disney I'd be like, "You know what you can have all your lights back. Just come pick 'em up."

After the family stopped gasping for air, I'd tell them to sign on the dotted line and I'll talk to them again in 2025. ;)

Yo Mickey!
01-15-2014, 07:28 AM
we go in early dec every year and one of the reasons is to see the lights. we probably spend 3-4 nights out of 8 there every year so we'd be bummed if they went away.

we were pretty disappointed in the music this year...no mariah carey and no big bad voodoo daddy. still...it's an amazing show.

DisneyDawgette
01-20-2014, 01:26 PM
I must have viewed the lights with rose colored glasses or something. I didn't notice a single bulb out or any problems it all. It was just as magical and wondrous for me as it is every time I see it. :mickey:

You and me both! I think it helps that they "dance" because I would not know if they were out anyways. :thumbsup:

By far, Osborne Lights are my favorite Christmas-time draw to the parks. I'd be very sad to see them go, as would the millions of people who pay to get into DHS during the holidays to see them. If anyone hears that money, it would be TDO. They're very sensitive to the sound of the change in my pockets. ;)