PDA

View Full Version : POTC boats

disney obsessed
01-09-2014, 10:15 AM
What is happening with these new boats? Are they fixing the fact that they take on a lot of water or is it permanent?
Honestly, I did not like that I repeatedly got my sneakers and my pants wet when we were there in october. I dont mind a little damp. Just not soaked.

Ian
01-09-2014, 10:36 AM
I didn't notice any issues with water when we rode in December, but I do not like the new boats at all.

They felt very, very cheap and low quality. It made me feel like I was on a ride at Six Flags or Hershey Park or something. I mean, they're like big chunks of molded plastic. Nothing says "1700's Caribbean pirating" like a big ole hunk of modern plastic. :ack:

DizneyFreak2002
01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
What is happening with these new boats? Are they fixing the fact that they take on a lot of water or is it permanent?
Honestly, I did not like that I repeatedly got my sneakers and my pants wet when we were there in october. I dont mind a little damp. Just not soaked.

They appear to have been fixed, but that doesn't take away from the fact they are cheap and tacky...

Kenny1113
01-09-2014, 11:16 AM
I didn't notice any issues with water when we rode in December, but I do not like the new boats at all.

They felt very, very cheap and low quality. It made me feel like I was on a ride at Six Flags or Hershey Park or something. I mean, they're like big chunks of molded plastic. Nothing says "1700's Caribbean pirating" like a big ole hunk of modern plastic. :ack:

Agreed! We didn't notice any water issues in nov.

disney obsessed
01-09-2014, 01:10 PM
I agree. They are bad. But at least I won't be soaked.
Thanks!

tadshome
01-09-2014, 02:20 PM
When did they change the boats? We were there in August and did not notice the boats being plastic... But I am not very observant :blush:

DizneyFreak2002
01-09-2014, 04:15 PM
When did they change the boats? We were there in August and did not notice the boats being plastic... But I am not very observant :blush:

During the summer, actually, probably before the summer... But when you were there the new boats were in use...

Scar
01-09-2014, 04:22 PM
And the obvious next question...

Why did they change the boats?

1DisneyNut
01-09-2014, 04:41 PM
And the obvious next question...

Why did they change the boats?

My guess is the old boats were getting worn out. The past few years when we were there, boats were constantly leaking and taking on too much water and getting stuck in the middle of the attraction. They would have to shut down, unload everyone from the boat, walk them out, bail water out and get the boat loose and take it out of service so they could restart the ride.

It seems they replaced the old boats with cheap new ones that from the sounds of it, have already been having leaks. They are some cheap cheesy things aren't they.....

Altair
01-09-2014, 04:51 PM
How long has the sharp jerk to the left at the end of the drop been there? I was making a camera setting adjustment and about went overboard. :blush:

SBETigg
01-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Apparently, there are still issues with getting wet on boats. Someone in WDW now just reportedly got soaked on POTC sitting in the front of the boat. Not just a little wet, but she reports wetter than Splash Mountain soaked. I find this somewhat concerning. I don't want to get soaked on POTC.

Main Street Jim
01-09-2014, 05:40 PM
How long has the sharp jerk to the left at the end of the drop been there? I was making a camera setting adjustment and about went overboard. :blush:Always.

The ride path has never changed.

Mickey'sGirl
01-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Apparently, there are still issues with getting wet on boats. Someone in WDW now just reportedly got soaked on POTC sitting in the front of the boat. Not just a little wet, but she reports wetter than Splash Mountain soaked. I find this somewhat concerning. I don't want to get soaked on POTC.
I think some of that is due to how they fill the seats of the boats.

We were there in December and asked for two rows for our family of four (our smallest family member is our 5'6" DS9, the largest is our 6'5" DS15). We did the same on Small World. Between grounding out due to the sheer weight in the boat, and the discomfort of being crowded together on those awful seats, we found this to be the best way for us to ride comfortably, and it minimized the getting wet!

MargaretMessler
01-10-2014, 08:11 AM
When there in September, I rode many times and *I* didn't get wet, but did notice that the boats were constantly bunching up at the end before the unloading dock because they were drying out EVERY boat.

grumpyguy
01-11-2014, 08:24 AM
We were there in Sept '13 and didn't notice any excess dampness however several have brought up a point I for one have overlooked til now.
The boats are blah....I mean you get to ride a honey pot in Pooh,a rocket ship on Space mtn,a log on Splash,an actually Dumbo on Dumbo a train car on BTMRR (YOU GET MY POINT) yet on an attraction that is so heavily detailed as Pirates you're in a plain old floating
something.Disney should create something piratey,like in Maelstrom..
Some kind of sailing vessel would be cool.The current ones remind me of the foot/leg propelled paddle boats you can rent.

SurferStitch
01-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Wow... we didn't even notice any changes when we were there in December. Also didn't notice any water in the boats. I had never seen boats being dried out or "emptied" in the past, either.

Surprised I didn't catch that. I usually notice everything when it comes to new stuff.

ANG
01-13-2014, 02:16 PM
I will have to pay much more attention on this upcoming trip. We went last July and rode it several times, never got wet.

LudwigVonDrake
01-19-2014, 08:09 PM

When I was in WDW last July the new boats had just been added.

mickeys_princess_mom
01-20-2014, 11:59 AM
I will have to pay much more attention on this upcoming trip. We went last July and rode it several times, never got wet.

Same here! We rode in August and I didn't notice a thing! Will pay attention next week!

DisneyDawgette
01-20-2014, 12:58 PM
I was there in December and did not get wet… Also, I don't see a huge issue with these boats… I'm typically too busy watching all of the other parts of the attraction to pay too much attention to the boat that I'm sitting on in the dark. :thumbsup: