PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable Comments Made By Cast Member

Donald Duck
01-08-2014, 12:27 AM
We just returned from 7 nights at POR.

The crowds were big as expected, the food was great and the cast members were great as well, except for one.

We had a FP+ reservation for Soarin.
We went almost all the way onto the ride.
There was maybe 10 people ahead of us online.

One cast member was leaning against he wall and this was the first thing he said to us in line, "only 2 1/2 hours left until I'm outta here".

Then he asks the guests in line to guess how much he makes per hour. No one answered so he told us $10 an hour.

Then he points to another cast member and tell us "he has been here for 20 years, guess how much he makes". The other cast member who looked embarrassed. So the other cast member tells us what he makes per hour (I forgot what it was) but it wasn't a whole lot more.

Then he says "he has worked here for 20 years and only makes that much per hour, can you believe that ?

I was shocked. I have been going to WDW since it opened in 1971 an I have never heard anything like that from cast member.

Cinderelley
01-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Wow

BigRedDad
01-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Probably some young kid who does not know about corporate politics and definitely does not understand how to interact with guests.

retiredfigment
01-08-2014, 09:09 AM
And with that attitude, most probably won't be there in 20 years.

marlyn
01-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Sounds like he's working at a ride, standing there directing traffic so to speak. Why would he think he should make more than $10/hr? What does he expect to make?

Very poor attitude.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-08-2014, 09:56 AM
I have emergency dispatchers who only make $10 an hour and he's working at a theme park. Sounds to me like decent pay its almost $3 an hour more than minimum wage. If he doesn't like his job, I'm sure Disney isn't forcing him to stay there. Very, very inappropriate:soapbox::rant:

Jim From Neverland
01-08-2014, 10:13 AM
I would be very much surprised if he's still there. His kind doesn't last too long.

BrerGnat
01-08-2014, 10:18 AM
I always thought WDW paid its cast members minimum wage. Honestly, $10 is a decent wage for a young kid.

At my last job, I was only making around $12/hour. That job also required a Bachelor's degree and six months of formal (paid) training before I could even begin doing the actual job.

People expect too much pay for unskilled work, and yes, a CM who stands there and loads an attraction is unskilled work.

Heck, when I was a retail Assistant Manager, back in my college days, I was paid less than $9/hour, and I had to deal with a LOT of customer service issues. I had a LOT more responsibility than a ride loader at a theme park.

Kids these days. ;)

1DisneyNut
01-08-2014, 10:44 AM
I also thought they paid them minimum wage or slightly over. I am actually surprised to hear they are paying $10/hr for standing there watching que lines. They must have gotten to the point they were having trouble attracting and retaining employees.

I have had quite a few of these types in recent years. A lot of the young guys seem to feel entitled. They think they should get paid $25 an hour with absolutely no experience (many with no prior work experience whatsoever) for a minimum wage job. On top of that, they have extremely poor work ethic, move slow as molasses and show up late or lay out entirely. The real kicker is they think even though they are on the clock, the time is still theirs to do as they wish which includes stopping work or ignoring customers while they "check facebook" or "text a friend back about plans for after work." Then they give you attitude when you tell them not to have their phone out during work and to pick up the pace.

Over the past few years I have had to fire several for this and it is getting old quick. This subject has came up during conversations I have had lately and many of the business owners and managers I know have said they try to avoid hiring young people if at all possible, even if it means paying someone a little more.

DizneyFreak2002
01-08-2014, 11:08 AM
First of all.. WOW.. Second, if his manager got wind of him telling guests this, the CM will be wishing he had that $10.00 an hour job after getting canned...

Gator
01-08-2014, 11:27 AM
The age of entitlement. He probably thinks he's entitled to twice that much and free health benefits. I'll definitely say that he was out of line, but I'll bet that in this case society bred his behavior.

I would've pointed him out to my kids and loudly proclaimed, "Here's an example of how to get fired."

SurferStitch
01-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Sounds like a true spoiled brat.

Kids (I'm talking early 20's and younger), really do feel entitled anymore. Know why? Just look at the shows they watch! Whether it's reality or sitcom/dramas, almost all of the teens and young adults have money. They are buying high end designers, driving nice shiny new cars.... and think it's perfectly fine.

When I was a teenager, I would have NEVER dreamed of spending hundreds on a Coach (or other brand) handbag. $150 for a pair of pumps??? $300 for boots????? I didn't even start buying my cosmetics at Sephora until 5-6 years ago. Yes, I'll spend $35 on a lipgloss now, but not when I was a kid! My niece (who's 19) has been spending that on cosmetics for several YEARS now.

Thing is, kids want to live like their counterparts on TV and in the movies, but don't want to work for it (since those TV stars never seem to work for it either).

And, parents who have been buying their kids Coach, bebe, Banana Republic, J. Crew, Gucci, etc. throughout their tween/teen years just help perpetuate the problem. What 15 year old needs a $500 Coach handbag??????? Sure, maybe if you're swimming in cash (not credit.... cash), but many of these parents are middle income. They do it to keep their kids happy. If the kid is happy, then he/she must love me, right?

I know I sound harsh, but just from observation, this seems to be the case. I may be wrong.... but I doubt it.

SBETigg
01-08-2014, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't draw conclusions and make it an unfair knock against "kids today" and entitlement. This guy was unprofessional, clearly. There are much older people who are equally clueless and show little concern for their work, too. My kids grew up with a lot more than I had growing up, but I'm proud to say that they work hard and try hard and know how to behave in a professional manner. They don't expect things to be handed to them. I like to think that most kids are like my kids, and not like this one bad example of a CM.

Yes, you do see some spoiled and entitled kids out there. But have you seen their parents? They are often exhibiting the same behavior even though old enough to know better. The apples don't fall far from the trees. And yet we're blaming the whole younger generation and giving people our own age a pass as if they couldn't possibly be that way because they grew up "back in our day" and we're not like that? It doesn't work that way, to my experience. There are entitled jerks in all age groups. In fact, the OP never gives us an age range for the CM in question. We're all just drawing that conclusion.

Polynesian Dweller
01-08-2014, 12:31 PM
I always thought WDW paid its cast members minimum wage. Honestly, $10 is a decent wage for a young kid.

The Teamsters contract is available online and shows that for non-tipped positions all are paid above minimum wage with top ends between about $10 and $13 per hour. Unlike the myth, Disney pays fairly well.

I agree, the CM is making a decent wage. And this should have bee reported to Guest Relations.

steamboat willy
01-08-2014, 12:32 PM
40 years ago, I piloted the steam driven paddle wheeler World Cruise to Discovery Island across from Fort Wilderness. I couldn't BELIEVE I was getting Paid to do such a FUN job. Back then there was a small group of Disney Executives that could walk up to you and tell you "Your Fired", right on the spot...
Luckily Momma sent me to Florida with 18 years of manners and a lot of common sense. :sail:

SurferStitch
01-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Oh, I don't think I was giving parents our age a pass at all. Like I explained above... parents only help perpetuate the problem... feeding the beast, if you will.

SBETigg
01-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Oh, I don't think I was giving parents our age a pass at all. Like I explained above... parents only help perpetuate the problem... feeding the beast, if you will.

But people even older might (and probably have) said the same thing about the next generation, and so on. Times are always changing, but I don't think there's a generational decline in manners and good sense as much as we all want to give ourselves a pat on the back thinking we came from a better set of people. Your point was more against one generation as a whole, while my point of view is that there are jerks and bad attitudes and hard workers and good people running through all age groups, probably in a pretty equal spread.

I don't mean to single you out. I think we all tend to fall back on a "kids today" blame mentality. But really, is it true? Is it fair? Or are we just falling into the same habits we found ridiculous once when we were kids. We still don't know the actual age of the CM mentioned by the OP. But, yes, I'm guessing it was a younger person due to the mention of the other CM having worked for 20 years. I just don't think his age is what makes him unprofessional.

BrerGnat
01-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Age is definitely not to blame, but it definitely is my opinion that a lot of young people today expect more than what is realistic. I see it every day and it seems like it's a serious problem, judging by the numbers of kids in their 20's who are unemployed and still mooching off their parents because a minimum wage job is "beneath them."

I, too, am tired of seeing teens with their faces buried in their cell phones while they are at WORK. What is that all about? It shows a serious lack of respect towards the business, it's management, and the customers. This is a widespread problem where I live.

AndrewJackson
01-08-2014, 04:11 PM
I find it interesting that everyone is assuming it is a young kid. I've read the post several times, and find no mention of age.

Bad attitudes come from employees of all ages.

Goes4FastPass
01-08-2014, 04:51 PM
The cast member said the wrong thing but do you know what a person who makes $10 a hour can NEVER do? Book a Walt Disney World Vacation.

I see thread after thread on this board, "We always stay 2 weeks... we only eat signature... we just added another home resort to our DVC portfolio..."

Now you people expect $10 CMs to dance around the room and sing like Mary Poppins when you walk in the room?

If a person works a guest facing job at WDW they should save all the real complaints they have for their friends after work.

The guests wouldn't understand anyway.

BrerGnat
01-08-2014, 05:07 PM
The cast member said the wrong thing but do you know what a person who makes $10 a hour can NEVER do? Book a Walt Disney World Vacation.

I see thread after thread on this board, "We always stay 2 weeks... we only eat signature... we just added another home resort to our DVC portfolio..."

Now you people expect $10 CMs to dance around the room and sing like Mary Poppins when you walk in the room?

If a person works a guest facing job at WDW they should save all the real complaints they have for their friends after work.

What is your point?

No one forces anyone to work as a CM. The financial situation of any given CM isn't anyone else's business. Guests should not be made to feel badly for them because of their pay. They chose their life path just as I chose mine and you chose yours.

If they can't do the job with a good attitude, a smile, and a lack of bringing their personal life into it, they shouldn't be doing that job. Customer service means you leave your own problems at home when you report for work.

PETE FROM NYC
01-08-2014, 05:09 PM

At my last job, I was only making around $12/hour. That job also required a Bachelor's degree and six months of formal (paid) training before I could even begin doing the actual job.

People expect too much pay for unskilled work, and yes, a CM who stands there and loads an attraction is unskilled work.

Heck, when I was a retail Assistant Manager, back in my college days, I was paid less than $9/hour, and I had to deal with a LOT of customer service issues. I had a LOT more responsibility than a ride loader at a theme park.

Kids these days. ;)

Talk about unskilled labor?
Th3e NYC Sanitation workers seem to have more holidays than any other job I ever heard of. Plus top salary. Boy , was my Dad wrong. He always told me to get an education or I would be picking garbage for a living. If I did pick up garbage for a living, I( would have been retired by 50, instead of getting my full RR pension at 62.

Scar
01-08-2014, 05:30 PM
"Why can't they be like we were, perfect in everyway?

What's the matter with kids to-day?"

- Lee Adams 1960

Donald Duck
01-08-2014, 05:49 PM
I find it interesting that everyone is assuming it is a young kid. I've read the post several times, and find no mention of age.

It actually was a young kid, I would say 19 or 20.

Donald Duck
01-08-2014, 05:51 PM
What is your point?

No one forces anyone to work as a CM. The financial situation of any given CM isn't anyone else's business. Guests should not be made to feel badly for them because of their pay. They chose their life path just as I chose mine and you chose yours.

If they can't do the job with a good attitude, a smile, and a lack of bringing their personal life into it, they shouldn't be doing that job. Customer service means you leave your own problems at home when you report for work.

Agree 100 %.

VWL Mom
01-08-2014, 06:09 PM
What is your point?

Well said Nat

Aurora
01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
This guy was a rude, obnoxious jerk, plain and simple. He made everyone around him uncomfortable -- guests, other coworkers, etc. I can't imagine working at ANY job and saying that to a customer. Sounds like he was begging to be fired cause he didn't have the guts to quit.

DizneyFreak2002
01-08-2014, 07:15 PM

First of all, the CM should never ever discuss his salary in front of guests... NEVER... What was his purpose? To get people to feel bad for him? Hey, he may have been making "only" $10 an hour... At least he had a job... You know how many people I know who would kill for that $10 an hour job right now? Yea, I am talking skilled workers who STILL cannot find work in this economy...

As for paying for a WDW vacation, he works there... Why would he want to vacation there too???? I wouldn't want to vacation where I work... Plus, HE GETS IN FOR FREE.. No need to afford to pay for their tickets.. and he'll get a CM discount on food if he so chooses to eat at the park...

As for those who stay 2 weeks and eat signature, good for them... They shouldn't feel bad they can afford to stay for 2 weeks and dine at a signature restaurant... More power to them... Has nothing to do with this CM's poor attitude and behavior...

When you take a job, you know how much you'll be paid and what you are expected to do... if you feel you are being under paid for what is required, discuss it with your boss... of course, you won't get anywhere expect probably fired or on the top of the list when lay offs come around... If you don't like having to be friendly and nice to guests for $10 an hour, don't take the job... He knew what his pay would be, he knew what his job required... Quit if you don't like it... Just don't complain in front of guests... And he had no right dragging another CM into his rant...

And once his manager finds out (if it hasn't happened already), he'll be wishing he had that $10 an hour job back when he no longer has a pay check...

Main Street Jim
01-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Sounds like he's working at a ride, standing there directing traffic so to speak. Why would he think he should make more than $10/hr? What does he expect to make?*Sigh*.

...I worked at the parks for nearly ten years.

The closest I came to $10/hour (2001-2010) in the time I worked there was $9.87 - even with trainer premiums ($.75/hour more).

...Not real sure else to say, other than, *yes*, the CM should NOT be discussing his pay rate in front of guests, let alone other CMs' pay rate. Sure, we CM's would gripe about the low pay to each other - backstage, in the break rooms, etc., but never in front of guests.

I hope you got his name, the approximate time of the incident, and reported him to Guest Relations.

Main Street Jim
01-08-2014, 07:24 PM
The Teamsters contract is available online and shows that for non-tipped positions all are paid above minimum wage with top ends between about $10 and $13 per hour. Unlike the myth, Disney pays fairly well.*If* you work there long enough.

I worked there for almost ten years and *still* wasn't making $10.00/hour. But, you know what? I *loved* the job enough to stay at it and at least enjoy the benefits - and meeting great guests.

All full-time Cast start out at minimum wage, and raises are determined by the current contact with the union.

1DisneyNut
01-08-2014, 07:57 PM

See quote from OP below

Shocker! lol

I'm not saying all teenagers and young adults act like this but it has become such a problem that employers are taking advantage of the high unemployment and hiring over qualified mature workers instead of the younger problematic work force.

Darn right I do. I expect near perfection and I currently am not satisfied with what I have been receiving.

What I feel I should be receiving is based upon what I am paying. With the prices and rates WDW charges, I expect and should get near perfection. What they pay their employees has no bearing on my expectations. Although for what they pay some of them we really should not be surprised by bad attitudes. The problem is corporate greed, bonuses and investors expecting constantly increasing profit margins. Sometimes you need to pump the brakes and show the employees a little love.

What is your point?

Good post and I agree.

The younger work force has a real problem with thinking they can be on their phones tweeting, posting on facebook and texting anytime they desire.....even while on payroll. It is sort of funny how they have this attitude that you as an employer/boss can't tell them they can't be on their phone......maybe I can't I don't know but I can choose to not have them on the payroll and they can't tell me otherwise either. lol

marlyn
01-08-2014, 08:24 PM

I went to university, got my degree and have a profession that pays well. If I wanted a minimum paying job I wouldn't have done that, wouldn't have invested a lot of time and money into my education. I choose to treat myself to a vacation to WDW and yes, I do expect good service when I am there.....just as my patients expect good service when they come to see me.
If the CM aren't happy with what they make....there are plenty of ways to further education etc and obtain a better paying job.

I don't get this comment.....

marlyn
01-08-2014, 08:29 PM
*Sigh*.

...I worked at the parks for nearly ten years.

The closest I came to $10/hour (2001-2010) in the time I worked there was $9.87 - even with trainer premiums ($.75/hour more).

Sorry Jim, but I assume you chose to work at disney and enjoyed your job since you stayed in it so long. I still think $10/h seems like a fair wage when I compare to other jobs with similar income. Not sure how other CM are paid at WDW but based on what this CM was doing....it seems like a reasonable wage.

ransam
01-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Remember that while Disney is held to a higher standard, the cast members are still humans and they will make human mistakes. just sounds like a kid who was just tired and looking forward to going home

MickeysBestPal
01-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Remember that while Disney is held to a higher standard, the cast members are still humans and they will make human mistakes. just sounds like a kid who was just tired and looking forward to going home

It was not a "mistake." He didn't inadvertently trip over someone.
He purposely tried to generate trouble in front of guests/customers
and make them (and coworkers) feel embarrassed and uncomfortable.

It was an intentional act.
He should be fired.

And, I'd still say this if he he did that and was a clerk at Target.

Ian
01-08-2014, 09:38 PM
I have had quite a few of these types in recent years. A lot of the young guys seem to feel entitled. They think they should get paid $25 an hour with absolutely no experience (many with no prior work experience whatsoever) for a minimum wage job. On top of that, they have extremely poor work ethic, move slow as molasses and show up late or lay out entirely. The real kicker is they think even though they are on the clock, the time is still theirs to do as they wish which includes stopping work or ignoring customers while they "check facebook" or "text a friend back about plans for after work." Then they give you attitude when you tell them not to have their phone out during work and to pick up the pace.

Over the past few years I have had to fire several for this and it is getting old quick. This subject has came up during conversations I have had lately and many of the business owners and managers I know have said they try to avoid hiring young people if at all possible, even if it means paying someone a little more.Yes same here ... they call these people "Millenials" lol

GAN
01-08-2014, 10:10 PM
We just returned from 7 nights at POR.

The crowds were big as expected, the food was great and the cast members were great as well, except for one.

We had a FP+ reservation for Soarin.
We went almost all the way onto the ride.
There was maybe 10 people ahead of us online.

One cast member was leaning against he wall and this was the first thing he said to us in line, "only 2 1/2 hours left until I'm outta here".

Then he asks the guests in line to guess how much he makes per hour. No one answered so he told us $10 an hour.

Then he points to another cast member and tell us "he has been here for 20 years, guess how much he makes". The other cast member who looked embarrassed. So the other cast member tells us what he makes per hour (I forgot what it was) but it wasn't a whole lot more.

Then he says "he has worked here for 20 years and only makes that much per hour, can you believe that ?

I was shocked. I have been going to WDW since it opened in 1971 an I have never heard anything like that from cast member.

Are you sure this wasn't Bob Iger? I mean he was down to $34,000,000.00 (or so) last year. It's totally possible that he decided that for that pawltry salary, directing queues is all they'll get out of him this year.

Arielfan98
01-08-2014, 10:41 PM
I would of reported the cast member once I returned from my trip and explained the experience. Yes I earn $10 an hour myself but I accept the fact I don't even have a high school diploma yet. I am thankful for the opportunities given and quite frankly I would never want to work at Disney...it's the most magical place on earth, not work.

Main Street Jim
01-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Sorry Jim, but I assume you chose to work at disney and enjoyed your job since you stayed in it so long. I still think $10/h seems like a fair wage when I compare to other jobs with similar income. Not sure how other CM are paid at WDW but based on what this CM was doing....it seems like a reasonable wage.Oh, I *LOVED* my job working at the parks. And yes, I did choose to work there, knowing that I was starting at the bottom. It *was* hard at times financially, but, I *never* complained about it *on stage*.

marlyn
01-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Oh, I *LOVED* my job working at the parks. And yes, I did choose to work there, knowing that I was starting at the bottom. It *was* hard at times financially, but, I *never* complained about it *on stage*.

:thumbsup::mickey:

And you are exactly what a disney CM should be...it always shows when someone loves what they do!

Goes4FastPass
01-09-2014, 11:51 AM
My point is, or at least should be I am sure that CMs at WDW who every day deal with snotty, entitled, rude, demanding, unsophisticated, tired, "guests" - for very low pay.

That whole "They chose their life path just as I chose mine and you chose yours" is all about, 'This is why I can think I can treat people badly if I determine they are inferior."

Nothing in this thread says anything about what was going on prior to the CMs comment.

Anyone's who visited WDW for one day has seen a CM abused by a guest at least once.

This unfortunate thread is not about us looking forward to our next vacation but dreading the vacationers that will be all around us.

So now someone in this discussion wants to "Rrrrrreport" the CM who made the inappropriate comment. Whee! Maybe he'll get fired!

People don't work at WDW to feel magical, they work to pay their bills.

I've never encountered a CM at WDW who didn't positively respond to simple human courtesy.

1DisneyNut
01-09-2014, 12:33 PM
My point is, or at least should be I am sure that CMs at WDW who every day deal with snotty, entitled, rude, demanding, unsophisticated, tired, "guests" - for very low pay.

That whole "They chose their life path just as I chose mine and you chose yours" is all about, 'This is why I can think I can treat people badly if I determine they are inferior."

Nothing in this thread says anything about what was going on prior to the CMs comment.

Anyone's who visited WDW for one day has seen a CM abused by a guest at least once.

This unfortunate thread is not about us looking forward to our next vacation but dreading the vacationers that will be all around us.

So now someone in this discussion wants to "Rrrrrreport" the CM who made the inappropriate comment. Whee! Maybe he'll get fired!

I've never encountered a CM at WDW who didn't positively respond to simple human courtesy.

You defintitely have a different way of looking at things. I think most of us disagree with you though.

Using your mentality, the next time I go out to eat somewhere and my waitress is horrible and has an attitude or the cooks send me raw uncooked fish again, I should just say to myself "well they don't get paid like an engineer and they probably had a bad day so oh well I will pay for this dinner with a smile." Or I go to walmart, they don't have the shelves stocked, don't have enough staff working and the check out lines are ridiculously long and when I get up there they have a bad attitude, I should say to myself "well they don't make near what I do so I will just take it."

My point is, we could apply your logic to almost anything. I am paying for a service, I expect a certain level of service and if I don't get what I feel I am paying for, I have a right to not be happy about it. If you want to just be passive and let it slide, that is your prerogative.

AndrewJackson
01-09-2014, 12:39 PM

I just didn't like the direction the thread was going regarding "these kids these day."

As someone who has the pleasure of working with children and young adults, and the burden of working with parents, I can attest that it isn't "these kids these days" that should concern us.

Sorry. :offtopic:

BrerGnat
01-09-2014, 12:52 PM

Absolutely NOT what I meant at all. Not even close.

My point is that people who CHOOSE customer service forward jobs accept the responsibility of acting in a way that positively represents the company, puts forth effort into making every guest interaction a positive one, and overall, ensuring guest satisfaction.

I did that kind of job for many years. In that time, I had personal problems, financial problems, relationship problems, medical problems, and school related stress. Not ONE of my customers EVER heard about me. It was not about ME when I was on the clock. I worked Christmases, Thanksgivings, New Year's eve...I never once moaned and groaned to the customers about it. I dealt with horrible people every single day. No one was holding a gun to my head, forcing me to work. I needed money, so I worked. Simple as that.

I am a very kind person. I would never look down on anyone or consider those with less than me "inferior." That is not what I am about at all. I am the wife of a Marine and the mother of two special needs kids. I am not riding around on some kind of high horse. I have been humbled enough times to keep me grounded. Your interpretation of my words was fairly insulting.

marlyn
01-09-2014, 12:53 PM
I deal with rude, obnoxious and occasionally abusive patients all the time....that doesn't give me the right to be rude or talk trash to the other patients I encounter now does it??

Donald Duck
01-09-2014, 01:08 PM

Hello, are there any adults in this thread? People don't work at WDW to feel magical, they work to pay their bills.

No one said anything to the CM. He started talking to the guests.
Nobody abused him.
Isn't everyone responsible for their own actions ?
He was complaining about being there and was bad mouthing his employer.
None of the guests responded to him, they just ignored him.

I could have reported him but I didn't. I have been laid off a few times in my life and it stinks. I didn't want to do that to someone else. I'm sure eventually he will be fired with his attitude.
His job was to greet the guests at the Soarin FP line. Instead he complained about his job.

I don't know how you can defend someone when you weren't there.
I was there, he was talking to me.

If you think this thread is unfortunate, they why are you in it ?

SBETigg
01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
My point is that people who CHOOSE customer service forward jobs accept the responsibility of acting in a way that positively represents the company, puts forth effort into making every guest interaction a positive one, and overall, ensuring guest satisfaction.

I totally agree with you here. People in customer service positions are representing the company to the consumer and any negativity is unacceptable. No matter the hourly pay. And sometimes customers are hard to deal with, but that's part of the job and you keep it professional. This person the OP mentions should not be working with the public.

MNNHFLTX
01-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Moderator Warning--

Some of the posts in this thread are getting out of hand. Let me remind you all about certain rules found in INTERCOT's Terms of Service (http://www.intercot.com/disclaimer/boards.asp):

"We do not permit arguing/flaming users on our boards. Any posts of an argumentative or sarcastic nature are subject to immediate removal from our boards as the Board Moderators see fit.

We are all here to have fun. Please be considerate and respectful of your fellow INTERCOT Members and THINK BEFORE YOU POST."

Some posts in this thread have been edited for the the reasons mentioned in the above paragraphs and others edited because they quote said posts.

INTERCOT also does not allow inappropriate language (or characters used to represent inappropriate language on the boards), so those posts have been edited also.

Please keep any further discussion respectful and mindful of the purpose of INTERCOT. Thank you.

Main Street Jim
01-09-2014, 05:55 PM
People don't work at WDW to feel magical, they work to pay their bills. Wanna bet?

:mickey:

Altair
01-09-2014, 06:43 PM

You're right, just a simple please and thank-you goes a long way. :mickey:

LVT
01-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Put me in the "surprised camp" at the decent wage. So many people are on both minimum wage and part -time only.

Terra
01-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Wanna bet?

:cloud9: I love it when people loved/love their job!!!
I so much appreciate all cast members and the magic they help my family experience!!!

Put me in the "surprised camp" at the decent wage. So many people are on both minimum wage and part -time only.

Agree! I'm glad to know they do at least pay a better wage than many! They do offer insurance to their part time employees now as well.

I *do* understand the sentiment of those working in low paying jobs and the frustration.
I will say though I never let the customer/student/etc [whatever it was at the time], know that I was struggling or unhappy. I still gave it my all. I moved on when it became or if it did become unbearable.

I did want to say though that just because one does work hard/obtains education/etc...doesn't always mean they can "make more"/"have more".
And it's not always choice. So there is fallacy in that point as well.
I have my Master's. I'm the Director of the Pre-Kindergarten program at the elementary school where I work. I also teach a class. And I will say, I do not top $25K a year if that says anything. Now my husband is a teacher as well. He does make more and we live comfortably.

And while yes, it was a "choice" for me to teach. In terms of what I do/hours I put in/doing dual duty. I am *not* being paid what I should be paid.
HOWEVER, I LOVE and adore what I do and give it more than 100%. [Which my husband sometimes complains about! :blush:

Goes4FastPass
01-10-2014, 05:00 PM
I just didn’t want to rush to judge the CM when I, like everyone in this thread except the OP, wasn’t there.

I would hope, expect, that whatever was going including everything that happened at the CMs home or at work , would not result in comments by the CM about how much they are paid or ANY other disparaging words about their job.

I feel sorry for CMs who work long hours on their feet for low pay and while they meet many happy, polite guests they also meet tired, cranky, demanding, disappointed people who can’t be satisfied and are going to take it out on the person in front of them.

Perhaps I was surprised that the OP called the CMs remarks “unbelievable”.

Inappropriate, certainly, but not unbelievable.

Now, if a CM, exasperated after a bad shift of overtime were to say, “One look at you and I can tell why your kids are so ugly.”, there might me a brawl in the lobby.

BrerGnat
01-10-2014, 06:13 PM
I find it pretty unbelievable only because I have had SO many CM interactions over the years and I have NEVER been privy to the amount of any of their paychecks. That leads me to believe that Disney does not expect nor want their employees discussing that with guests. Without the benefit of having been a CM myself, I would be willing to bet that is an "off limits" topic of conversation while "on stage."

It's not much more different than if a CM whipped out a cigarette and lit up while on duty. That would be equally unbelievable.

A CM personally insulting a guest? That would be a CM just looking to get fired on the spot. That would be "shocking."

Terra
01-10-2014, 06:38 PM
I find it pretty unbelievable only because I have had SO many CM interactions over the years and I have NEVER been privy to the amount of any of their paychecks. That leads me to believe that Disney does not expect nor want their employees discussing that with guests. Without the benefit of having been a CM myself, I would be willing to bet that is an "off limits" topic of conversation while "on stage."

It's not much more different than if a CM whipped out a cigarette and lit up while on duty. That would be equally unbelievable.

A CM personally insulting a guest? That would be a CM just looking to get fired on the spot. That would be "shocking."

Now on this view I respectfully disagree with you. I would find the revealing of wages/smoking/etc shocking.
However, the insulting and demeaning another human being? That is unbelievable to me personally.

That said, I do have to say [NOT that I agree], I can't tell you how many times I've been to various stores: Walmart, filling stations, Target, Mall stores...and many of the workers, when I ask how they are [being polite], reply with things like "Better if they'd pay more here/give me my break on time, treat us better/etc."

So while it isn't right, contrary to what some have said, people to say it and because I'm a regular in some of those stores, those employees are still there and they do it all the time.

BrerGnat
01-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Yes, but I hold Disney to a higher standard than Wal Mart, personally. ;)

Terra
01-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Yes, but I hold Disney to a higher standard than Wal Mart, personally. ;)

LOL, I hear you! :blush: And agree.

In all seriousness though, it shouldn't make a difference according to some in the thread. No matter what the person is making in any job they should never say anything negative to a customer, from what I read anyway.

BrerGnat
01-10-2014, 07:05 PM

In all seriousness though, it shouldn't make a difference according to some in the thread. No matter what the person is making in any job they should never say anything negative to a customer, from what I read anyway.

When a customer initiates the commiserating, its kind of okay, I think. I used to have customers sympathize with me about having to work such late hours, or on a holiday, and I'd respond with stuff like "yeah, it's not my idea of fun" or "yeah, I'd rather be home right now." But it crosses a line when the employee tries to drum up sympathy by doing what the CM in this post did.

Terra
01-10-2014, 07:52 PM
When a customer initiates the commiserating, its kind of okay, I think. I used to have customers sympathize with me about having to work such late hours, or on a holiday, and I'd respond with stuff like "yeah, it's not my idea of fun" or "yeah, I'd rather be home right now." But it crosses a line when the employee tries to drum up sympathy by doing what the CM in this post did.

Oh I agree, and experienced the same.
But I was referring to when I make the normal chit chat when I walk up to a register..**putting groceries on the belt**
They usually won't speak at all, so I say "Hello how are you?" You know, sadly the polite talk, but I don't really want to know the details.

DizneyRox
01-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Wanna bet?

True... I worked for Disney because it was Disney. My 'real' job paid the bills, I spent more at Disney than they put in my paycheck. I fact, I made more 20 years earlier in my first after school job than I did working for the mouse.

tjstrike
01-10-2014, 11:09 PM

^^^ I love this response ^^^ :thumbsup:

smraynor
01-11-2014, 10:48 AM
These Millennials...

DizneyFreak2002
01-11-2014, 11:20 AM

When you are in customer service, you should NEVER be negative with a customer... NEVER... I worked customer service before... We were always told, no matter how bad of a day you are having (and management was understanding we were human and would have bad days), never kick up an attitude or talk negatively with a customer... It is never alright even if the customer is sympathetic to you... Your company is portrayed in a negative light with those customers you are rude to, or talk negatively with... Your company looks evil (most are anyway), and vile (most are anyway)... Why talk negatively about your day (or in this CMs case, your pay) to a customer who probably doesn't care and only wants to be serviced?? Now you out negative thoughts in this customer's head, that customer pulls business away... Do it enough times, lost business means loss of jobs...

There is a time and place for such conversations... In front of and to customers is NOT the time or place...

marlyn
01-11-2014, 01:39 PM
When you are in customer service, you should NEVER be negative with a customer... NEVER... I worked customer service before... We were always told, no matter how bad of a day you are having (and management was understanding we were human and would have bad days), never kick up an attitude or talk negatively with a customer... It is never alright even if the customer is sympathetic to you... Your company is portrayed in a negative light with those customers you are rude to, or talk negatively with... Your company looks evil (most are anyway), and vile (most are anyway)... Why talk negatively about your day (or in this CMs case, your pay) to a customer who probably doesn't care and only wants to be serviced?? Now you out negative thoughts in this customer's head, that customer pulls business away... Do it enough times, lost business means loss of jobs...

There is a time and place for such conversations... In front of and to customers is NOT the time or place...

Well said....:thumbsup:

Kerry823
01-11-2014, 02:34 PM
I have been reading these posts and it brings to mind something my father told me when I first started working. "Never bite the hands that feed you" so in other words, never speak poorly of your employer. They have given you a job and it is your responsibility to do the right thing and not complain about it. I live by that and tried to instill that in my daughter as well. It does not reflect well on anyone when an employee is bashing their employer. No job is perfect..if it was, we would all have the same job! I hope that the employee will someday realize that everything is not given to you on a silver platter day one of any job. If you are not happy with your wage or station, seek out other opportunities or higher education. If you are unwilling or unable to do those things and must remain in the job you have, "Don't bite the hands that feed you".

Terra
01-11-2014, 07:37 PM

Oh I agree. I don't want to give the impression that I don't. I was just responding to when BrerNat said that it may be different if you ask how the person working, is. Personally, I still don't think it's okay to talk bad either.

DizneyFreak2002
01-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Oh I agree. I don't want to give the impression that I don't. I was just responding to when BrerNat said that it may be different if you ask how the person working, is. Personally, I still don't think it's okay to talk bad either.

Even if asked, you NEVER give any sense of negativity or unhappiness to a customer.. No matter what, any customer service employee should NEVER EVER discuss working conditions, pay, or unhappiness with current employer to a customer... If I was a manager for a customer service group, and one of my employees did something like that, they wouldn't have a job anymore... At the least, I would write them up with a last and final warning...

I didn't mean to infer you thought that when I quoted your post... :) I missed BrerNat's post, saw yours...

Terra
01-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Even if asked, you NEVER give any sense of negativity or unhappiness to a customer.. No matter what, any customer service employee would NEVER EVER discuss working conditions, pay, or unhappiness with current employer to a customer...

I didn't mean to infer you thought that when I quoted your post... :) I missed BrerNat's post, saw yours...

Oh no, you're fine :) I do agree 100%
25 years ago, I cleaned houses for a living, scrubbed toilets, picked up after spoiled rich kids and spoiled adults that acted like children. They were snobby, looked down on the poor, etc. HOWEVER, they did employ me, they paid me! They never knew how sad their lives really made me.
Service with a smile, a yes ma'am and sir, and happy customers!

MissMaryPoppins
01-11-2014, 09:21 PM

I agree and think you made a good point.

DisneyDawgette
01-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Kids (I'm talking early 20's and younger), really do feel entitled anymore. Know why? Just look at the shows they watch! Whether it's reality or sitcom/dramas, almost all of the teens and young adults have money. They are buying high end designers, driving nice shiny new cars.... and think it's perfectly fine.

When I was a teenager, I would have NEVER dreamed of spending hundreds on a Coach (or other brand) handbag. $150 for a pair of pumps??? $300 for boots????? I didn't even start buying my cosmetics at Sephora until 5-6 years ago. Yes, I'll spend $35 on a lipgloss now, but not when I was a kid! My niece (who's 19) has been spending that on cosmetics for several YEARS now.

Now, let's not over-generalize. Some of us in our early twenties still know how to work hard. I've worked three jobs and done full-time school for three years now, graduating a year early this May. And my parents surly aren't paying for my "stuff". If I want something, like my annual pass, I'll save for months before I purchase it. :P

His comment was completely out of line, though. I would love to make $10/hour to direct people in a line. I don't think it's solely because of his age, he's just one of those people that doesn't know what "good" is until it's gone.

Tiggerlovr9000
01-13-2014, 03:45 AM
I have worked in customer service for 20 years. To me it is never appropriate to discuss your wages with customers or co workers. I have had customers ask me how much I make an hour. Also if anyone asks how I am I say great. I never talk bad about my employer, even when a customer is complaining about something that only my boss can fix but hasn't. They sign my paycheck for which I am grateful. There is a selfish way to look at doing a good job and showing a positive attitude, other people are watching you and could offer you a better paying job or other opportunity. I have been so fortunate to do a job that I love my entire life. Working with customers is the best job ever. The many happy ones far out weigh the few that aren't..

DonaldDuckUSA
01-14-2014, 01:40 PM

Agreed. While I pay for a "magical" experience and to be treated with higher-than-usual standards, I'm okay with people being people. I like to ask cast members how their day is going. Sometimes it's wonderful, other times they're honest and they're having a less than good day. You know what, venting helps people. After they see that someone cares, they better than they were before and the next guest gets some Disney magic. I'm not there to be a therapist (and they don't expect me to), but I appreciate the work they do and it's not hard to be kind to other people.

Now, I don't expect rudeness and I wouldn't be pleased if I was in the line. But you know what, for that ONE jerk cast member there are THOUSANDS of wonderful cast members who make my vacation wonderful. Let's not let that point go unseen.

Also, I'm really tired of people complaining about "millennials." I'm sorry, but baby boomers had (and still have) their issues too. Plenty were "slackers" who "didn't have a real job" and treated their elders with lack of respect. Some people are responsible and others are not. Some are worthless, others are not. I'm slightly older than "kids these days," but don't cast my peers into the same worthless heap.

Tekneek
01-15-2014, 06:09 AM
Comparing it to some of the things I saw and heard on my last trip, this CM isn't the worst one out there. I know a lot of people have tried to deny the CM decline, but I have to say it was pretty obvious. I don't think the state of CM has much to do with age and everything with management goals and corporate strategy.

TheVBs
01-15-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm one of those people who tends to give others the benefit of the doubt, probably to a fault. However, nothing makes what this CM did excusable. Could there have been valid reasons he was feeling that way? Sure. But like every other grown up (of no particular age group ;)) he's responsible for his actions and learning when it's appropriate to vent, and when it isn't. If he got fired for it, it's his own fault entirely. I know if I had done that at any job I've ever held, I would have gotten fired, and rightfully so. And, to the OP, so sorry you had to listen to that. :(

Tekneek
01-16-2014, 05:17 PM
^^^ I love this response ^^^ :thumbsup:

Indeed. At a company banking a huge profit, I'm wondering how they can't afford to compensate a bit better than that. Clearly they aren't too concerned about rolling that revenue back into their employees. I worked at a company that posted REVENUE around .2% of Disney's PROFIT and they never dreamed of asking people to work for less than $20 an hour.

BrerGnat
01-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Indeed. At a company banking a huge profit, I'm wondering how they can't afford to compensate a bit better than that. Clearly they aren't too concerned about rolling that revenue back into their employees. I worked at a company that posted REVENUE around .2% of Disney's PROFIT and they never dreamed of asking people to work for less than $20 an hour.

That is easy to say when you aren't the one cutting the payroll checks every two weeks. Do the math. Make some assumptions about the average number of hours worked weekly at the average pay. Disney World has an astronomical payroll every year. Slight raises translate to HUGE increases overall. It's a balance.

Poohluv85
01-18-2014, 09:58 PM
I understand that you may be having a bad day and**you may not be as perky as usual, but I honestly don't feel there's ever a reason to treat another person bad our make them uncomfortable. I work in a chiropractor's office as front desk, and fortunately all of our patients are awesome, but my hubby works in fast food and has had food literally thrown at him several times and still answers with a smile. Customer service always comes first, that's how you get repeat business, which keeps you a job. Whats really a shame is that even if that CM had a bad experience with a previous ungrateful guest, that the guests in line and the other CM had to pay for it. And if his interest were to have a Disney vacation he could. Between my hubby and I, we don't make very much, but are able to save for a Disney vacation this year. It really depends on what your interested in and what your willing to go without to get it. Just my opinion :mickey:

Terra
01-18-2014, 11:16 PM
I understand that you may be having a bad day and**you may not be as perky as usual, but I honestly don't feel there's ever a reason to treat another person bad our make them uncomfortable. I work in a chiropractor's office as front desk, and fortunately all of our patients are awesome, but my hubby works in fast food and has had food literally thrown at him several times and still answers with a smile. Customer service always comes first, that's how you get repeat business, which keeps you a job. Whats really a shame is that even if that CM had a bad experience with a previous ungrateful guest, that the guests in line and the other CM had to pay for it. And if his interest were to have a Disney vacation he could. Between my hubby and I, we don't make very much, but are able to save for a Disney vacation this year. It really depends on what your interested in and what your willing to go without to get it. Just my opinion :mickey:

So true!!
And enjoy your vacation!! :) My husband and I have struggled over the last several years as we've worked to get our family in a better position and it is paying off. Let me say that those times at Disney sure did refresh me and keep me going :)

Poohluv85
01-19-2014, 12:37 AM
So true!!
And enjoy your vacation!! :) My husband and I have struggled over the last several years as we've worked to get our family in a better position and it is paying off. Let me say that those times at Disney sure did refresh me and keep me going :)

Thank you Terra! And it's so worth the struggle, nothing refreshes better than pixie dust hehe

NYCJosh
01-19-2014, 08:57 PM

I agree totally with this post. It must be a challenge.

EeyoresBestFriend
01-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Agree with the completely unacceptable vote.

It seems that alot of folks these days (of every age) believe that others want to know about every moment in their life.

Well, most don't. Myself, personally, I want to have a socially courteous conversation with you and move on. You are here to do a job and I really don't want to hear your personal/intimate issues or problems. I have enough of my own. Pity parties need to happen on your own time, with your own friends - Not at work with guests. :nono:

Don't mean to be rude . . . but, in most guest relations positions, if you started telling him about your financial/work complaints - he would have been as interested in yours, as you probably were in his. :sleepin:

thejens
01-21-2014, 12:59 AM
It has been interesting reading this thread.

My first thought was that based on the quality of work this guy is being overpaid! His rudeness is spoiling the magic for customers. As a manager in a service industry I am appalled.

On the other hand who can really live on 10.00 an hour? Never mind take vacations, how about rent and utilities and food and car repair and health costs etc? Yes, payroll is expensive. But if the magic you are selling depends on exquisite customer service it would seem that your staff are providing a significant value to your company. I would argue that the ability to be cheerful, helpful and even magical with, um, less than magical customers all day long would be an important SKILL. A skill that should be valued with a livable wage.

It is interesting that many were especially offended that the cast member discussed pay. I think honest discussions about who gets paid what with comparisons to the top paid employees of same corporation might not be a bad idea.

I know I'd feel better if the constant ticket price hikes were directly correlated with salary increases for front line staff. Or if the constant cutting back of dining plan items translated into better wages for the servers. I'll bet the staff wages haven't increased in proportion to our ticket/dining/attraction prices.

Aurora
01-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Had an interesting experience yesterday that relates to this topic.

My sister and I took our kids to Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, where we visited the awesome U-505 submarine exhibit. My 10-year-old nephew was standing marveling at the sub and asked his mother a question. Behind him was a museum attendant who heard the question and walked over to us to answer it. She then had a 5-minute conversation with us about the submarine. She was obviously very knowledgable and went out of her way to share her knowledge.

Today I looked up her likely salary at the museum. It was $8-$10 per hour.

Now of course I have no idea what this young woman's working conditions are like. I do know that she has a job working with the public and that it was very crowded in the museum yesterday (Martin Luther King Day and a free day for Illinois residents). And in our museum touring, we interacted with several other young museum attendants who were just as helpful and enthusiastic.

It's all about attitude.

disneynarula
01-24-2014, 11:30 AM

I

Although this is true for most people who make $10/hour it's probably not true for a cast member. As a cast member, you get into the parks for free as part of your compensation. I am not sure if it is true now but when I worked there you got pretty hefty discounts on hotel rooms.

We booked a couple nights at the GF once just for fun and we got a 40% discount on the room. We booked other rooms as well for decent discounts when we felt like we wanted a vacation experience.

Irregardless.. this kind of statement is way against what you learn at Traditions! As far as the guests are concerned, working to make their Disney experience better is what you live for! It's your favorite thing. When I was a cast member if you weren't blowing pixie dust out of every orifice you got stuck working in the stockroom for a week. I remember this girl I worked with who was constantly delivering a "bad show" and she was assigned to permanent stockroom duty. I was a merchandise cast member.

It doesn't matter whether this person was young or old. It just should not happen, even though more and more it seems like it does.

There are plenty of other low paying jobs out there that you can do without putting a damper on other people's vacations.

I was there on the college program and just loved it but decided it was not what I wanted as a career. I don't like working weekends or holidays and when you work for Disney that is sort of expected. You also have to be willing to work your way up the chain and pay your dues. Complaining to the guests about your job is probably not the best way to promote yourself.

My one complaint about working at Disney is now I have no tolerance for poor customer service, especially at Disney.

Tekneek
01-24-2014, 04:57 PM
That is easy to say when you aren't the one cutting the payroll checks every two weeks.

When you're posting a billion dollar plus profit, I doubt covering payroll is a realistic concern.

Tekneek
01-24-2014, 05:10 PM
On the other hand who can really live on 10.00 an hour?

I don't know if this is true for most castmembers today or not, but I can remember in the past being told that many lived with at least 3 roommates.

I think honest discussions about who gets paid what with comparisons to the top paid employees of same corporation might not be a bad idea.

American corporations tend to have the largest compensation gap between the lowest and highest paid employees. It seems to be a very American ideal that the lowest paid employees are either lazy or have to pay their dues, while the highest paid are actually earning every dollar (not overpaid at all).

I know I'd feel better if the constant ticket price hikes were directly correlated with salary increases for front line staff. Or if the constant cutting back of dining plan items translated into better wages for the servers. I'll bet the staff wages haven't increased in proportion to our ticket/dining/attraction prices.

Definitely agree with this.

It's all about attitude.

It also depends on who you're working for and what the mission is. I could be wrong, but I suspect that museum is not clearing a billion dollars plus in profits per year and asking someone to go out there and be the face of the company for $10 an hour. Not that a bad attitude is a good thing to have, or for this Disney castmember to do what they did, but I can certainly understand how someone might be disillusioned.