PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Jillirose
01-07-2014, 05:07 PM
I've been reading with interest the discussions, listening to the podcast, etc. regarding FP+. For those of you who have experienced either side of this recently, would you suggest using the old FP option or FP+ if you had the choice? (off site guests, how did trying to get regular FP when FP+ is instituted work? and FP+ guests do you prefer it over old system?)

I am wondering because when we arrive in FEB to stay at the Dolphin we will be given that option if the current system is in place. The way I understand it is that Swan/Dolphin guests can upgrade to FP+ at the parks after checking in at the hotel.

I can only make FP+ reservations after check-in. We are going the week before President's Day, which is typically high crowds. Which system do you think I will have a better chance getting good FPs for? (Assuming they haven't changed over completely to new system by FEB).

I'm thinking the pros of trying FP+ would be:

schedule FP ahead of time
save travel time in the park
possibly score a difficult FP (Soarin or Toy Story)

some cons:

What if A attraction FP+ aren't available (everything is already taken)
Can't use FP+ for FP in different parks on same day
possible aggravation with technical 'glitches' that many are experiencing with the FP+ app
possibly better chance at scoring regular FP?
less spontaneous park hopping

MickeysBestPal
01-07-2014, 08:20 PM
I've been reading with interest the discussions, listening to the podcast, etc. regarding FP+.

For those of you who have experienced either side of this recently,

1- would you suggest using the old FP option or FP+ if you had the choice?

2- (off site guests, how did trying to get regular FP when FP+ is instituted work? and FP+ guests do you prefer it over old system?)

3- I am wondering because when we arrive in FEB to stay at the Dolphin we will be given that option if the current system is in place. The way I understand it is that Swan/Dolphin guests can upgrade to FP+ at the parks after checking in at the hotel.

4- I can only make FP+ reservations after check-in. We are going the week before President's Day, which is typically high crowds. Which system do you think I will have a better chance getting good FPs for? (Assuming they haven't changed over completely to new system by FEB).

I'm thinking the pros of trying FP+ would be:

schedule FP ahead of time
save travel time in the park
possibly score a difficult FP (Soarin or Toy Story)

some cons:

What if A attraction FP+ aren't available (everything is already taken)
Can't use FP+ for FP in different parks on same day
possible aggravation with technical 'glitches' that many are experiencing with the FP+ app
possibly better chance at scoring regular FP?
less spontaneous park hopping

1- The "old" FP option is likely going to dry up as a choice within the next month, or so.

2- There are no longer any reg. FP options at all at DAK, and the other parks may be in line to follow suit.

3 & 4- That CHOICE might or might not continue. Nobody knows.
It looks more likely that all guests (other than those staying at a WDW resort) will be required to use a similar form of day-of FP+ at all parks (or choose no FP at all.)
That's the way it is NOW at DAK.

Again, pros and cons aside, it looks like the "old" FP choice may be very close to going away.

Gator
01-08-2014, 11:29 AM
If I had a choice, I'd stick with the old system. Unlimited Fastpass on whatever rides I wanted. No one forcing me to only fastpass one good ride a day.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-08-2014, 12:37 PM
If I had a choice, I'd stick with the old system. Unlimited Fastpass on whatever rides I wanted. No one forcing me to only fastpass one good ride a day.

I wouldn't say that is completely true. My last experience with Toy Story is that you have to rush back there, get a fast pass, which by the time I get there is already for the afternoon, then you can only hold one fast past every 2(?) hours. So by defacto they are pretty much forcing you to only one good fastpass per day on the good rides, especially when they started enforcing the END time on the fast pass.

I haven't followed the FP+ discussion much. If a late 2014 trip comes off for us, will definitely have to start researching it more.

Gator
01-10-2014, 02:16 PM
The only time you have to wait two hours to get another fastpass is when the time for your return is a long ways off. Most other fastpasses I get allow me to get a fastpass within an hour, including Everest, Splash Mt, etc.

Eric87
01-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Along with DAK, DHS will no longer offer traditional FP as well. You will have to get FP+ if you want FPs for either park now.

JerseyDad
01-12-2014, 11:24 AM
....don't know if this was touched upon ...but I'm 99% sure the KTTW cards are going away this month ...so the ability to even get the "old" paper FP's becomes extinct with their demise.

.....the WHOLE WDW experience is "going hi-tech" ...so ...you either book the FP+ reservations 60 days prior ...or ...if you are off-site guest ...you "book" them in-park the day of the visit.

...oh ...and as I understand it from "other sources" ..the Swan / Dolphin were in a 'testing phase" with the MB's from Nov to Jan ....but no longer are. And the FP+ options (for the foreseeable future) ...will be available, but will be same-day-at-park 'booking'. I think it has to do with the Swan / Dolphin not having the KTTW card for door locks, charging, etc ...and it would be a decent sized overhaul / undertaking to do so.

CanadianWDWFan
01-12-2014, 04:02 PM
...if you are off-site guest ...you "book" them in-park the day of the visit.
This is not the case. As long as you have park passes attached to your MDE account you can make FP+ selections. I just tried it right now from the comfort of my living room. I have no resort reservation but I have my AP linked to my MDE account. I was able to make FP+ selections. The way it was explained to me was that you can make plans for FP+ for as many days as you have park passes for.

MickeysBestPal
01-12-2014, 04:06 PM
...if you are off-site guest ...you "book" them in-park the day of the visit.

This is not the case. As long as you have park passes attached to your MDE account you can make FP+ selections.

The info from JerseyDad is correct AT THIS TIME.

If a guest is not staying at a WDW resort, (or is not an AP holder who has ALREADY stayed at a WDW resort) no ADVANCE FP+ selections are possible.

COMING UP a bit later in January that will change.

During January 2014, selected offsite guests will be testing most of the MyMagic+ elements, including My Disney Experience, FastPass+ at all four parks and the use of MagicBands. Disney has previously said that MagicBands will be available to offsite guests for a fee in place of using the card based ticket media.

This test is significant, because it will represent the first time that offsite guests can use the full range of MyMagic+ services. The current tests of FastPass+ at Disney's Animal Kingdom and the upcoming Magic Kingdom test are restricted to just the FastPass+ component.

JerseyDad
01-12-2014, 04:29 PM
The info from JerseyDad is correct AT THIS TIME.

If a guest is not staying at a WDW resort, (or is not an AP holder who has ALREADY stayed at a WDW resort) no ADVANCE FP+ selections are possible.

COMING UP a bit later in January that will change.

....wow ....I'm impressed when I'm "semi-intelligent" ...I've never aspired to be anything more than that (because that's when people expect 'results' and want favors, etc) ;)

MickeysBestPal
01-12-2014, 04:33 PM
....wow ....I'm impressed when I'm "semi-intelligent" ...I've never aspired to be anything more than that (because that's when people expect 'results' and want favors, etc) ;)

Sorry to have blown your cover. :secret:

:)

Jillirose
01-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Thank you all for the input! Looks like we will be trying out the FP+ and possibly trialing Magicbands in FEB.