PDA

View Full Version : Arrival Night Suggestions

faberj
01-06-2014, 12:12 PM
We will be arriving on Monday 3/17 (landing around 6:00 PM in Orlando) and will be staying at the WDW Dolphin resort (not my pick, it is where hubby's convention is being held). What should we do for dinner?? I am not very impressed with the choices at the hotel. Was thinking maybe a late reservation at Beaches and Cream (anyone know how far the walk is to get there??)
Any suggestions would be great!

steamboat willy
01-06-2014, 01:09 PM
May I suggest Kona Cafe' at the Polynesian. Great set down restaurant as close to the Magic as you can get. You can even watch Fireworks on your first night from the Poly Beach. :fworks:

MOJoe
01-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Bluezoo and Shula's at the Dolphin are great restaurants. But if you are looking for something less expensive B&C is around a 5 minute walk. Big River Grille is also close and pretty good too. The Flame Grilled Meatloaf is delish.

Bay Lake
01-06-2014, 02:32 PM
May I suggest Kona Cafe' at the Polynesian. Great set down restaurant as close to the Magic as you can get. You can even watch Fireworks on your first night from the Poly Beach. :fworks:
This is my plan on my first night. We don't have park tickets on our first day, So we will take in all the "Free Stuff"

Jillirose
01-06-2014, 03:18 PM
We always eat by the pool at Dolphin on our first night - great menu!

Janmac
01-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Big River Grille is also close and pretty good too. The Flame Grilled Meatloaf is delish.

This is a bit late but here's another vote for Big River Grille at the Boardwalk. If I'm remembering correctly, can't reserve at Big River Grill. We had a late lunch of appetizers and salads after my cousins got in from New York (had a Tokyo Dining supper reservation). Our light lunch was quite filling due to the large portion sizes. The nachos were an awesome mountain of yummy we all could have filled up on, had we known, without ordering all that other stuff. Beer flight was fun too.

To get to Beaches and Cream you'd walk over the bridge between the Dolphin and Boardwalk, continue straight - NOT turning right into the Boardwalk - and then right past the Yacht Club to Beaches and Cream. If you're strolling, enjoying your walk, I doubt it'd take you a whole 15 minutes, door to door. You could return by heading past the Beach Club, crossing the bridge on your right to wander along the Boardwalk to the bridge back to the Dolphin.

Jan

faberj
01-08-2014, 08:43 PM
This is a bit late but here's another vote for Big River Grille at the Boardwalk. If I'm remembering correctly, can't reserve at Big River Grill. We had a late lunch of appetizers and salads after my cousins got in from New York (had a Tokyo Dining supper reservation). Our light lunch was quite filling due to the large portion sizes. The nachos were an awesome mountain of yummy we all could have filled up on, had we known, without ordering all that other stuff. Beer flight was fun too.

To get to Beaches and Cream you'd walk over the bridge between the Dolphin and Boardwalk, continue straight - NOT turning right into the Boardwalk - and then right past the Yacht Club to Beaches and Cream. If you're strolling, enjoying your walk, I doubt it'd take you a whole 15 minutes, door to door. You could return by heading past the Beach Club, crossing the bridge on your right to wander along the Boardwalk to the bridge back to the Dolphin.

Jan

I did not see Big River Grill as an option for ADR's so I think you are right that they don't take reservations. Maybe we will check it out, hopefully it won't be too busy.

mydisneygirls
01-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Captain's Grille at the Yacht Club. It's not generally crowded (can't understand why) and the food is really good, especially the steak.

#1donaldfan
01-09-2014, 01:05 PM
I wanted to try Big River Grill for so many years and finally this past year was able to fit it in....I was not impressed at all. We got right in, and it was sorta busy, not every table taken, but the service was incredibly slow and the food was just ok. :cool:

Fastpasssteve
01-11-2014, 01:52 AM
If you have kids with you, the Big River Grille woul be great. If it's an 'adults only' trip, you could try the Flying Fish...and then finish the night at Jelly Rolls, one of my favorite night spots in WDW. So much fun. Enjoy your time.

steamboat willy
01-13-2014, 12:00 PM
This is my plan on my first night. We don't have park tickets on our first day, So we will take in all the "Free Stuff"

This is our First Night Tradition, after checking in and getting totally unpacked, we end up by the pool for a cold :beer:. We also opt to not use a day off our ticket for just an evening, especially after a 10 hour drive. Dinner may be from Our Resort or at the Poly. :tikki: We catch the Monorail and ride around at least once before getting back off at the Poly. We stroll the grounds before settling in down by the Beach. The tiki touches, the toot toot toot sound of Launches :sail: coming and going from the docks and the waterfall sound from the
volcano pool makes for a very relaxing first night enjoyment. Can't wait to enjoy this later this year!