John
01-02-2014, 03:30 PM
The INTERCOT Insider Live Disney Podcast
Episode 58 - Ian's Got A Toque On, Gary's Got The Anorak
The Cast: John Yaglenski, Gary O'Brien, Christine Warner, Ian

Mitchell, Michael Montanez

Apologies in advance for audio issues - we had problems with
the recording but didn't want to throw the episode away - which
is one of the reasons it took so long to release...

- Ian's got a toque on, Gary's got the anorak.
- MyMagic+ Delayed according to the Orlando Sentinel.
- Ian's experiences and frustrations with the MyMagic+ App.
- What problem did this system solve?
- Is vacation planning becoming to much of a hassle.
- Christmas version of Reflections of Earth.
- Candlelight Processional.
- Another INTERCOT Consulting Idea!
- Michael goes to Hawaii and Disney's Aulani - and has the scoop for you!
- Diane Disney Miller passed away.
- Saving Mr. Banks.
- Frozen.
- Take It or Leave It - Water Parks! Gary says Take It - and
just watches everyone having a good time while eating. Michael
says he doesn't do Water Parks or public pools - Leave It. Ian
Takes It but he never goes anymore. Christine Takes the Water
Parks and does the lazy river and bars. Take It - John likes
the lazy river.
- Holiday Happenings @ the parks and resorts.
- Celebrating dead rides.
- Coast to Coast AM

LISTEN, DOWNLOAD, LOVE, SHARE... (http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2014/episode-58.asp)

John
01-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Apologies this took so long to get to you...

1st - there were technical issues with the recording. You'll hear me dropping out occasionally but overall, it's listenable so after a lot of editing - I was able to get a product out the door.

2nd - you may notice my voice in the open isn't as strong as it has been in the past.... there is a story behind that which I will be sharing soon and is another big reason why it's been so long between podcasts.

So, sorry to keep you waiting but there are two hours of listening ahead.

Happy new year.

cer
01-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Thank you for this. :)

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-02-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm excited to listen!

Thanks for pulling it together. :)

mickclub1955
01-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Great info. Thanks for posting!!!

Buttercup
01-03-2014, 04:16 PM
I haven't listened yet. Going to save it for the trip down to Florida next week! WAHOO!

But... the Canadian in me wants to tell you it's "toque" instead of "tuke". :winter: LOL

John
01-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Right - I went back and corrected that - unless I missed a few...

Buttercup
01-03-2014, 05:53 PM
hahaha That's just the weird French-Canadian way of spelling it! "Tuke" makes way more sense! :cool:

Pooh Fan
01-03-2014, 07:38 PM
How Awesome! Just came back from watching Frozen and now this piece of Disney Magic is waiting for me. What a day!

dpamac
01-03-2014, 11:04 PM
I have five golden toques.

dpamac
01-04-2014, 08:53 AM
And John has anoraknophobia.

Buttercup
01-04-2014, 10:26 AM
I have five golden toques.
And a beeeer.... in a tree.

disneykidsince1970
01-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Hi GUYS!! We were getting worried about you!! Thanks for the podcast - it came literally just in time for Nikki to download for her trip home (She was visiting me in Switzerland and was flying 10.5 hours back to Tampa).

I am listening to the podcast while I put my house back together after the holiday carnage.…and it is GREAT company!

I am still listening but overall… 2 quick comments:

1 - Thanks for the shout-out Christine! Nik and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and John and sharing a marg at Mexico during F&W! btw - how about FastPass to the Tequila spot during F&W!?

2 - WaterParks - LEAVE IT. I'm with Michael - they are G-ROSS. While River Country holds a very special place in heart and many places in our childhood photo album, I don't like to be so darn close to to people (including myself!) who are sweaty, half-naked, and lubed up with sun cream. I do love to watch the kids have fun…and I do love to embrace the odd slide or two. If only I could do those things with minimal cost and w/o jumping into the cesspool combo of sweat, oil, hair, trace amounts of e-coli, pee, spilled beer and chlorine….

Thanks again guys!! We are about 6 weeks away from our annual family trip and can't wait!

*btw - my husband, a decidedly non-Disney guy, overheard the exact moment that Gary said he was ditching some Disney trips for national park visits. So, now, he officially likes the podcast!

:mickey: Carolyn

JMTStone
01-06-2014, 12:55 PM
I don't care if it was a bit iffy on audio. I loved it.

Gary- my nephew works at the Great Divide brewing company. Follow them on Instagram - they're a hoot!

See you guys in a few days.

Christine
01-06-2014, 10:15 PM
1 - Thanks for the shout-out Christine! Nik and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and John and sharing a marg at Mexico during F&W! btw - how about FastPass to the Tequila spot during F&W!?

That is GENIUS!!! Cava FP+!! See ya soon!

dpamac
01-12-2014, 03:35 PM
*btw - my husband, a decidedly non-Disney guy, overheard the exact moment that Gary said he was ditching some Disney trips for national park visits. So, now, he officially likes the podcast!

Hearing me talk has that effect on people. Seriously, the US is a huge country and I want to see as much of its natural beauty as I can (and I also like the small towns associated with NPs). It seems as though Disney is morphing out of the trip we plan for a year into a "I wish I were in Disney. Well let's book a trip." And then we wonder why our budget is blown. English majors shouldn't be allowed to have money.

Gary- my nephew works at the Great Divide brewing company. Follow them on Instagram - they're a hoot!

I LOVE Great Divide. You know they have a beer called the Yeti, right? I have a Great Divide sticker on my car that has a silhouette of a Yeti with "I Believe." I of course put it on because of the "other" yeti, but it serves a dual purpose because it's an awesome beer. That sticker, combined with my federal zombie hunting license sticker on the car may be why no one ever talks to me.

GMRO
01-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Another informative and enjoyable podcast thanks crew! Sorry about the tech difficulties, “please stand by”… ;) Was a little difficult at first to listen but just pressed on thru and in a while I hardly noticed it – the pop and click’drop outs. Hope whatever caused it can be fixed or watched for in future casts. Either way, still very enjoyable! Still having issues with my iPhone and iTunes DL’ing the podcasts. It let my phone do it but my other iDevces..no dice.

Really looking forward to Ian’s return from his Dec trip far as the REAL DEAL of the magic bands etc are concerned. DW and I just did our sign on and linked our rezzies and did what is needed. Took about 30 mins. Not sure if they changed the site per others saying it took a long time or if we just are boring folks who don’t have much to pre-plan. ;) I didn’t find the navigation on the PC to be an issue. We prep’ed for the worst and it didn’t give us any fits. All worked. Maybe not the most intuitive but not an issue for us. SO our bands are on the way!!! Can’t wait.

Found the whole Ms. Disney segment very real and it was nice that Ian spoke so fondly and somber about her passing. YES a true shame!
Love the singing! TOO FUNNY! CW – nice you chimed in too! FUNNY!!!

Michael M. – very nice to have you back for a quest visit. Really enjoyed your trip report too and you takes on public pools! A direct hit! I don’t like pools either. Had one growing up in the backyard and you just get accustomed to CLEAN ools…YEA NO P!!!

Missed MB on this cast! But CW you did a great job representing the ladies.

Take It Or Leave It: We did the Blizz Beach years ago. Never had it added to our tickets…just paid for a day. We’d spend a day or so there each vacation. In past years we have not gone and not really missed it. Just too noisy. If I want to relax, vacation style, I’ll take my pool days at our resort with my fav adult beverage. Just not into it these days. Neither is DW. Less any kids – we have none – we fend for ourselves pretty well. We did think about it for our 2013 vaca…but it was just a thought…and we never went to a W-Park. Again, I’ll take the quieter resort pools in the AM to early afternoon. In fact last W-Park we visited was Wet And Wild. We did it just to try. Nice but still not a repeater for us. SO long story short…LEAVE IT.

Course now that I think about it for 5 vacations now we’ve added the DCL prior to our WDW Land portion. SO we get all the water fun we need at that point between Castaway Cay and the adult areas on the ship. On the DREAM yes we do like the Aqua-Duck but don’t spend hours in line riding it still.

Thanks for putting in the hard work to keep this podcast and make it listenable!

mjm
01-17-2014, 01:25 PM
The sound glitches didn't sound too bad! Good work John!

Magic +, Fast Pass +
It just seems like it's getting more and more complicated to plan a Disney vacation. You could never be completely spontaneous at WDW, but now it seems almost every minute is planned... be here at 10:18am, be there at 11:30am, be here at Noon, etc., etc. I'm starting to feel like Gary. I may have to have someone remind me why WDW is so special?!

Diane Disney Miller.
So sad. I *did* grow up with Walt introducing The Wonderful World of Disney and I am concerned that kids going to Disneyland or WDW now won't realize that Walt Disney was a real person. So, I'm glad for all of her efforts to get the Walt Disney Museum up and running. I just hope WDW continues to have at least something in the park about Walt Disney so people can see who created all of this.

Waterparks.
Take it. But, prefer Typhoon Lagoon over Blizzard Beach. I loved being able to body surf. My wife and I love the lazy river.

Circlevision.
I think I remember America the Beautiful. I believe it was still there in '79 when I was there on my honeymoon.

Yeti.
Has anyone heard why they can't fix the yeti?

Gary, does your federal zombie hunting license bumper sticker mean you're a Walking Dead fan?

disneykidsince1970
01-17-2014, 01:42 PM
So... still listening to the podcast while I work...

on My Magic blah-blah...
I can't help but think that all the noise about the downsides will be but a distant memory 12 months from now. It would be impossible to launch such a sizeable effort and change w/o a lot of hiccups and grumbles. I am sure that these were all well expected by Disney. My prediction is that Disney will improve and we will all adjust. I still have every expectation that the kinks will be worked out and that while I may not love every part of the "new way", I will be able to tolerate it long enough to eventually not notice. We are simply still in the middle of the transition and well... I think the questions we have (what about AP holders!?), etc. are just phased in for a later part of the transition.

I wonder what people thought when they suddenly went from e*tickets to a all-in-one price? Of course, it would have been a lot easier for Disney to manage then b/c there weren't blogs and I*cot sites to worry about.

What I would criticize them for is the communication around the effort. Disney IS well aware of all the social media and they should have done a better job at previewing what to expect and the perhaps even their timeline. Whomever is doing their change management and consumer engagement plan on this project needs help.

I VERY WELL remember American the Beautiful!! My Dad used to drag us in there to watch it. He probably wanted to cool off and chill... it seemed SOOO boring when I was under 12 and we had to STAND!?!? Gasp! I would love to see it now.

and.. lastly, as I just watched a YouTube of Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon...I must say "EW!" to Waterparks. Really. "EW!"

Is it too early to push for the next podcast!? Now.. its Friday night for me... so, time to uncork the cava!

:mickey:Carolyn

dpamac
01-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Gary, does your federal zombie hunting license bumper sticker mean you're a Walking Dead fan?

Such a tough question to answer...I've been a longtime fan of the comics. Have been reading them since long before the TV show. Initially I enjoyed the TV show but the first season really fell apart with the whole CDC thing. Tried the second season, hated it and gave up. Found out the second half got good, binged on Netflix started watching season 3 when it came on. Season 3 started going pretty well but the Woodbury thing dragged on too much. Lost interest in the fourth season again.

Long story short: Love comics, have a mixed relationship with the show. I think the show is really well acted but the writing is incredibly uneven.

Other than that, I have a thing for zombie movies. Always have, though I'm a Romero slow moving zombie fan not those fancy fast moving modern zombies.

Septbride2002
01-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Michael, love the "Mean Girls" reference.

I have to agree with Ian and the absolute hassle that my Magic + has become. Without boring everyone with all the details I spent a good 4 to 5 hours on my vacation trying to get ours set up right. It is still wrong to as my daughter's band, passes, etc are all managed by my friend and not under myself. I did write a letter to guest services when I got back and they were so shocked by everything we went through that they extended our annual passes by 3 months. That is not the way I want to spend a vacation, hanging out at the guest services window for an hour a day.
Can anyone tell me why they don't have Guest services at the resort?
We also had charging issues, fast pass issues, etc.

As much as I love Disney at Christmas I really noticed the cutting back of decorations in the parks. I think the resort's are still well done.