PDA

View Full Version : place to sit to see Illuminations

Dakota Rose
01-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Haven't seen Illuminations in 16 years! But we'll be there in a couple weeks!

Anyway, is there a "public" place to sit? I can "park" my dad there hours before as he will have had plenty of walking and will need a long sit. It would suit my plans if said bench/curb/wall is near Mexico or Canada or on that side of lagoon.

My dad's bad feet and back thank you. :)

AndrewJackson
01-02-2014, 07:32 AM
We have done this in the past, and really enjoyed it. Boom reservations for La Hacienda de San Angel and ask for a window seat at check in.

Your dinner will be done right around 9:00 or so. They dim the lights and pipe the music into the restaurant. You feel like you are surrounded by the show.

*NikkiJ*
01-02-2014, 09:38 AM
What other places besides actually going into to Epcot allow you to see them? We aren't doing Epcot this trip but would love to sneak a peek at the show.

Dulcee
01-02-2014, 09:56 AM
What other places besides actually going into to Epcot allow you to see them? We aren't doing Epcot this trip but would love to sneak a peek at the show.

You can catch bits of it from the walkways of the boardwalk and beach/yacht club but the views are primarily obscured by world showcase.

Gator
01-02-2014, 11:08 AM
There are benches all around the lagoon. If someone can sit there for hours before the show, then you have a good chance of getting one of them. The only problem may be that the benches aren't "right on" the fence. He may be able to sit, but others may come along and stand in front of the bench. Not much you can do about that - they have as much right to a view as you do. So either pick the bench with somewhat blocked view, or stand at the fence with a great view.

Main Street Jim
01-02-2014, 07:24 PM
You had mentioned "by Mexico".

Great place - and our favorite place - is right along the fence between Mexico and Norway. There is (or should be) a sign along that railing for the restrooms in Norway; that's where we always sit.

We bring a blanket and some reading material or something to do about an hour or so before Illuminations starts. If you want something to eat, you have Kringla in Norway; have someone stay with your stuff and run over to Lotus Blossom (quick-service in China) for some egg rolls; or there's the margarita stand in Mexico. Of course, popcorn and soda carts all over the place as well :)

You said you haven't seen Illuminations in sixteen years. Fourteen years ago, the show changed to the current show during the Millennium Celebration (1999-2000). It's MUCH different now than that second version of the show - and *much* better :) The music is quite spectacular. Some people will say that the show is "slow" at times, but it's telling a story, like only Disney can do :)

ransam
01-04-2014, 01:17 AM
there is not really bad spot for illuminations.

MickeysBestPal
01-04-2014, 05:16 AM
there is not really bad spot for illuminations.

I can name one.

Anywhere the wind is blowing in YOUR direction.

;)

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-04-2014, 08:54 AM
I can name one.

Anywhere the wind is blowing in YOUR direction.

;)

:eek::eyes: Yes indeed. We thought we had an awesome spot once between France and UK, too bad the wind blew all the ashes straight to us and into our eyes, ouch.

MNDisney Dad
01-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Yes. It is always a good idea to check wind direction.:thumbsup:

JerseyDad
01-06-2014, 10:46 AM
....the steps ...upper level of the Canada pavilion worked well for us a few times. And as I recall there were some benches up there too ...though ...you'd have to stand to get a decent view when the show starts.

.....but once ...as someone mentioned ...the wind direction was definitely not favorable for being there ...it got quite "smokey"