PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Crowds

WDWdriver
12-31-2013, 08:16 AM
It's New Year's Eve at Walt Disney World! MK traffic is backed up on World Drive past the Epcot exit at 7:45 am.

rjmdds
12-31-2013, 08:21 AM
You have to be nuts to go there today.

mickclub1955
12-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Crazy!!!!!:crowd::shake::crazy::crazy:

JerseyDad
12-31-2013, 09:02 AM
You have to be nuts to go there today.

....we were 'nuts' once ...on NYE ..2009/2010 ...at Epcot. The park was at capacity and closed before noon ....we were there from before 9am on 12/31 ...until 1am on New Years Day.

....until Illuminations went off at 9pm on NYE ....the World Showcase was a wall-to-wall sea of humanity. If you tripped, and were going to fall ...it would have been impossible ....you'd just lean on the people around you!! Sardines ...had more 'personal space'!! If you had a personal 'fashion sense' ...you abandoned it ...because you felt you were wearing the clothes of those around you!!

....I did it ONCE ...I can say I did it ONCE ....but ONCE ...was more than enough for me.

Kenny1113
12-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Wow! :crowd: That does not sound fun.

In mid 90s I did NYE at MK once. It was not like that at all!

WDWdriver
12-31-2013, 09:57 AM
9:45 am - Magic Kingdom at Phase Two. Wait times 30 minutes or more for the most popular attractions. Jungle Cruise at 55 minutes. Big Thunder at 105. Space Mountain at 135 and issuing FPs with return times after 8:00 pm.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Wow! It seems NYE is worse/busier than Christmas! Just crazy!

WDWdriver
12-31-2013, 10:34 AM
Phase 2 status includes admission for the following:

(1) WDW Resort Guests
(2) WDW Premier Passport, Annual & Premium Passholders
(3) Guests with Park HopperŪ tickets re-entering or crossing over from another Walt Disney World Theme Park.
(4) Guests with pre-purchased Magic Kingdom 1 Day Park Tickets
(5) Guests with Dining reservations
(6) Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League (if applicable)

Other guests arriving at MK are being directed to the other parks and are being given a coupon for free parking and 50% off dining.

AndrewJackson
12-31-2013, 11:22 AM
....we were 'nuts' once ...on NYE ..2009/2010 ...at Epcot. The park was at capacity and closed before noon ....we were there from before 9am on 12/31 ...until 1am on New Years Day.

....until Illuminations went off at 9pm on NYE ....the World Showcase was a wall-to-wall sea of humanity. If you tripped, and were going to fall ...it would have been impossible ....you'd just lean on the people around you!! Sardines ...had more 'personal space'!! If you had a personal 'fashion sense' ...you abandoned it ...because you felt you were wearing the clothes of those around you!!

....I did it ONCE ...I can say I did it ONCE ....but ONCE ...was more than enough for me.

Been there, done that! NYE in 1992. As you said, I did it ONCE - never again. We spent the day at Epcot. Got there at rope drop, and stayed for the NYE edition of Illuminations. The show was spectacular, but it was scary crowded. :eyes:

It took us 60 minutes to get from World Showcase (we watched around the France area) to the bus stop.

WDWdriver
12-31-2013, 11:25 AM
11:00 - Magic Kingdom is at Phase 3 status.

Phase 3 status includes admission for the following:

(1) WDW Resort Guests
(3) Guests with pre-purchased Magic Kingdom 1 Day Park Tickets
(4) Guests with Dining reservations
(5) Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League.

The only difference between a Phase 2 and a Phase 3 status is that Guests with Park Hopper tickets re-entering or crossing over from another park will be directed to Epcot, Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios.

WDWdriver
12-31-2013, 12:17 PM
11:35 Magic Kingdom is at Phase 3.5 status.

This is a new phased status. This modified status affects admission for Guests with Magic Kingdom 1 Day park tickets.

Guests who have pre-purchased a Magic Kingdom 1 Day park ticket are being advised that the Magic Kingdom Park is full and they are welcome to visit another park. These Guests can exchange their ticket at Guest Relations prior to entering another Theme Park.

This modified Phase 3.5 status includes admission for the following:

(1) WDW Resort Guests
(3) Guests with Dining reservations
(4) Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League

WDWdriver
12-31-2013, 12:28 PM
12:00 Some sample wait times from MDE:

Dumbo 50
Pooh 60
HM 60
Small World 75
Buzz 75
Jungle Cruise 125
Big Thunder 155
Space Mtn 170
Spaceship Earth 75
Mission Space 120
Test Track 150
Soarin' 210
Tower of Terror 70
Rockin' Rollercoaster 150
Kiliminjaro Safaris 40
EE 60

JerseyDad
12-31-2013, 12:31 PM
11:35 Magic Kingdom is at Phase 3.5 status.

This is a new phased status. This modified status affects admission for Guests with Magic Kingdom 1 Day park tickets.

Guests who have pre-purchased a Magic Kingdom 1 Day park ticket are being advised that the Magic Kingdom Park is full and they are welcome to visit another park. These Guests can exchange their ticket at Guest Relations prior to entering another Theme Park.

This modified Phase 3.5 status includes admission for the following:

(1) WDW Resort Guests
(3) Guests with Dining reservations
(4) Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League

....if I was there ...I'd be acting on the regulations of Phase 3.6 ...which are ...I'd be at the resort ...poolside ....bottle of champagne (or adult beverage of choice) ....with loved ones ....and enjoying the fact that I'm not in Times Square, NYC in 20 degree weather with 1 Million of my 'closest friends' ....I'm with loved ones (again ...the real reason for a vacation)....and my toes and sanity are intact!!

WDWdriver
12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
12:20 - MK is back to Phase 3 status.

WDWdriver
12-31-2013, 02:41 PM
2:30 - MK still at Phase 3.

Standby wait times continue to be very high - more than 90 minutes for most of the popular attractions.

Pirates 95
Buzz 105
Jungle Cruise 105
Splash 105
HM 120
BTMR 125
Space Mtn 170
Kilimanjaro Safaris 70
Dinosaur 50
Everest 55
Mission Space 125
Soarin' 200
Test Track 245 (if true, this is the highest wait time I've ever seen!)

Scar
12-31-2013, 02:44 PM
12:00 Some sample wait times from MDE:

Soarin' 210
Now, this is either a typo, or maybe the new math, or time by the metric system, or something I just don't understand, because there is no possible way anyone is standing in line for 3.5 hours.

Scar
12-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Test Track 245 (if true, this is the highest wait time I've ever seen!)Sigh...

:shake:

Main Street Jim
12-31-2013, 06:52 PM
Now, this is either a typo, or maybe the new math, or time by the metric system, or something I just don't understand, because there is no possible way anyone is standing in line for 3.5 hours.Wanna bet?

Working at Space Mountain for two New Year's Eves, I've seen wait times at 240 minutes.

mrte62
12-31-2013, 08:25 PM
....if I was there ...I'd be acting on the regulations of Phase 3.6 ...which are ...I'd be at the resort ...poolside ....bottle of champagne (or adult beverage of choice) ....with loved ones ....and enjoying the fact that I'm not in Times Square, NYC in 20 degree weather with 1 Million of my 'closest friends' ....I'm with loved ones (again ...the real reason for a vacation)....and my toes and sanity are intact!!

And as someone who works in NYC and was there a few hours ago, it is cold way too crowded and would gladly have been at resort poolside and enjoying anyone of a host of adult beverages ...:cool:

JerseyDad
12-31-2013, 08:37 PM
And as someone who works in NYC and was there a few hours ago, it is cold way too crowded and would gladly have been at resort poolside and enjoying anyone of a host of adult beverages ...:cool:

.....not to mention that there are NO public restrooms at Times Square this year!!

.....after being to the lighting of the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree (just as scary a crowd ...in some really cold weather) ....and doing NYE in Epcot ...I've decided that I don't "Do" crowds like that anymore.

....when you're walking so close to someone that you can do an ear exam on them ...without the medical gizmos ....then there are WAY too many people per square foot!!

....I've seen some pic's of the lines just to get thru security at the parks today ...and I'm glad to be here in NJ ...fireplace going .....small batch bourbon in a glass ....and wife by my side. (youngest daughter got her license a few mos. ago ...so she'll be at her boyfriend's house ....yeah-baby ...alone time!!)

DizneyFreak2002
12-31-2013, 09:05 PM
Seems like the crowds descended on Orlando this week, not last week... Regardless, you got to be nuts to go to Orlando for Christmas and New Year's...

Even SeaWorld has seen a huge spike in attendance this week, playing with the big boys finally LOL...

WDWdriver
12-31-2013, 11:14 PM
.....and as midnight approaches at WDW the wait time for Space Mountain is STILL 85 minutes!

Happy New Year everyone.

JerseyDad
01-01-2014, 12:54 AM
.....and as midnight approaches at WDW the wait time for Space Mountain is STILL 85 minutes!

Happy New Year everyone.

...that'd lead to some funny commentary from those that are in the stand-by line:

Guest: "Hey, there ...CM ....ya' think we'll get on the ride soon"?

CM: "Not THIS year"!! :rotfl:

AndrewJackson
01-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Standby wait times continue to be very high - more than 90 minutes for most of the popular attractions.

Pirates 95
Buzz 105
Jungle Cruise 105
Splash 105
HM 120
BTMR 125
Space Mtn 170
Kilimanjaro Safaris 70
Dinosaur 50
Everest 55
Mission Space 125
Soarin' 200
Test Track 245 (if true, this is the highest wait time I've ever seen!)

You forgot to add: Imagination - No Wait :D

denygold
01-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Hah- I saw a 30 minute wait for Imagination at one point on 12/31.

Main Street Jim
01-03-2014, 08:24 PM
It got up to 45 minutes at one point on NYE.

Cast Members were *freaking out* about how to set up their queue. :P

ransam
01-04-2014, 01:02 AM
I know it sounds crazy, but I want to try that once, just once.