PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Rides ?

polarbear72834
12-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Are there any rides at Animal Kingdom that someone with a messed up back from back surgery can ride ? I already know the ride where you go see all the animals in that big jeep thing is to bumpy and won't work. Tried it last time and it was way to bumpy and jarring. Trying to decide it I should skip animal kingdom this year or not.

JerseyDad
12-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Are there any rides at Animal Kingdom that someone with a messed up back from back surgery can ride ? I already know the ride where you go see all the animals in that big jeep thing is to bumpy and won't work. Tried it last time and it was way to bumpy and jarring. Trying to decide it I should skip animal kingdom this year or not.

.....kinda' think that the unfortunate answer is 'no' ....from what I recall of AK rides.

Diniosaur ...very bumpy
Expedition Everest - not 'bumpy' but 'jerky' and there is a lot of g-force stress on your body.
Primevel Whirl - a little bit of both, spinning g-force, possible spine stress
Safari (truck) - definitely bumpy

Kali River - not 'bumpy' but can be jarring if / when the 'raft' bangs into the side of the 'river' or other rafts.

....was the surgery recent? ...are there specific instructions / restriction that the physician imposed?

....I'm not a doctor ...nor do I play one on TV the movies or Youtube ;) ...but I have a messed up back (no surgery ...yet) and when at WDW ...there are things I just try to avoid ...like Dinosaur (if I can) ...Space Mountain ....etc.

Lindsey310
12-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Probably the only ones you could enjoy are:

It's tough to be a bug
The various walking trails
Lion king show
Nemo show

Limited choices :(

42 days!!!! :cloud9:

Johnno52
12-28-2013, 08:20 PM
The train ride to Rafiki's Planet Watch would be the only one I would take other than the walking attractions. Although I don't remember seeing any benches which would ease any discomfort along the way. Finding Nemo is a show and you sit inside.

My DW has had heart surgery and she can't do the Safari ride as it is too jarring as stated. WDW didn't think too much about people with disabilities in this park!

brad192
12-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Don't forget Flights of Wonder, one of the most underrated shows in all of WDW! (Sit in the middle for a real thrill).;)

Simba's Mom
12-29-2013, 12:19 PM

If you really want to do KS, as I did and have a very bad back, ask for the first row and you'll be lots better than sitting near the back. That's what I always do now and it's OK. And don't forget Triceratop Spin. Get your little dinosaur way up high preferably late in the day for some beautiful AK views.

Janmac
12-30-2013, 11:39 AM
And don't forget Triceratop Spin. Get your little dinosaur way up high preferably late in the day for some beautiful AK views.

Do you have any kids going with you? One recent trip I was with two 7 year olds who graciously ;) allowed me to ride in the back seat of Triceratop Spin while they occupied the front - and the controls for going up and down. They did not realize there were other controls in the back seat for leaning forward or backward. One of my most fun rides at AK that trip. :thumbsup:

If you don't have kids going with you and aren't interested in spending lots of time in the walking trails, etc, then I'd vote for skipping AK. Revisit a park that provides you with more options.

On recent trips we have only visited 3 of the 4 parks (once AK and once Hollywood Studios) which only makes the skipped park more interesting when we again visit it.

Jan

EJS-Houston
01-07-2014, 03:20 PM

You should give DInosaur a pass, then, because it makes Kilamanjaro Safaris seem silky smooth by comparison. Expedition Everest is a great coaster, but that might also prove challenging to someone with serious back injuries. Kali River Raft might be okay for you, though. There you just get wet (bring a poncho), but I don't believe it's that bumpy at all.

EJS-Houston
01-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Don't forget Flights of Wonder, one of the most underrated shows in all of WDW! (Sit in the middle for a real thrill).;)

Ooh...good point! It's a wonderful show. Just saw it (finally) for the first time a couple years ago...highly recommended!

BigRedDad
01-08-2014, 07:48 AM
There are a bunch of shows and places to visit. As for rides, I think you are extremely limited. KS, Dinosaur, EE, Primevil Whirl are all pretty much out.

Even though there are not many rides, there is so much more there. The street performers, meeting with people from the different countries.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-08-2014, 10:00 AM
If you really want to do KS, as I did and have a very bad back, ask for the first row and you'll be lots better than sitting near the back. That's what I always do now and it's OK. And don't forget Triceratop Spin. Get your little dinosaur way up high preferably late in the day for some beautiful AK views.

I agree, I have a bad back and did fine on the front row. The last time we rode we got the back of the truck and it was terribly bumpy, avoid it definitely.