PDA

View Full Version : I got a new puppy for Christmas!

TheDuckRocks
12-27-2013, 11:56 AM
My DH and I have been talking about getting a dog for some time now, but sure didn't think we'd be doing so this past week. It has been over 20 years since we have had a dog.
On Thanksgiving we were watching the National Dog Show on TV and I saw a small dog that I thought was cute. Internet turned up much info, including the fact that the cost for that breed started at $2400 and went up from there. Way out of our senior citizen budget.
OK, let's rethink this and look into rescue dogs. A wonderful idea and one that I think is a great solution if you can find a fit. For us the dogs available in our area were either too big, too old, didn't get along with cats, health and behavior issues.
Back to the drawing board. What about a mutt? (Now referred to as designer dogs.) Saw many, many different mixes in pictures online. Some adorable, some quite odd to say the least.
On Saturday after finishing our Christmas shopping and lunch we stopped at a pet store to just see what these little guys would look like in person. Just looking - until this tiny little face looked up at us and grabbed our hearts.
So I now have a 8 week old Shorkie (Shih Tzu/Yorkie mix) named Ted E. who weighs in at 2 1/2 pounds and a huge personality.
Our Christmas has been full of much laughter, puppy kisses, lack of sleep, many trips outside for his business and one steamed cat.
I'm so tired I can't think straight. My house is a disorganized mess. And we couldn't be happier.

disneymom15
12-27-2013, 02:02 PM
He sounds adorable.

Donald
12-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Those eyes will get you every time! Enjoy your new puppy! ( your cat would be less than pleased no matter what...nature of that beast!):)

missymouseworld
12-27-2013, 07:10 PM
We got a new puppy too....Oliver.....the week before Christmas. We adopted him from a local rescue. He was supposed to be a YorkiPoo when we went to look at him, but after a quick look, determined he was a Yorki/Dachsund mix ( they call them Dorkies) Didn't matter after we saw him and we fell for him. We adopted him at 6 months old and he joins our family and our other dog who is a 7 year old YorkiPoo. He may as well be a little puppy because he was never housetrained and all the fun stuff that goes along with it.

SBETigg
12-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Congratulations on your new love! How quickly they can steal your heart. I love the "designer" dog names, dorkies, shorkies, doodles, too cute.

Katzateer
12-27-2013, 09:45 PM
So jealous!! Enjoy your new "baby". With 2 dogs and 4 cats right now I can't get anymore furry babies.

MNNHFLTX
12-28-2013, 07:58 AM
It sounds like this puppy was adopted from a rescue group? Thank you for going that route and giving the little guy a home. He sounds adorable. :)

My husband and I have been talking about getting another dog soon too (we had to say goodbye to our Oreo--a black lab mix-- a year ago) but it hasn't been the right time yet. When we do it will be a rescue/shelter dog all the way. :thumbsup:

missymouseworld
12-29-2013, 07:52 AM
It sounds like this puppy was adopted from a rescue group? Thank you for going that route and giving the little guy a home. He sounds adorable. :)

Yes, he was adopted thru a local rescue. He is now 7 months old (we got him 2 weeks ago) and we are in the middle of housetraining him. He is getting better a step at a time.

brad192
01-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Congrats on the new addition to your family! Give your kitty some time, he/she will adjust, they always do. On a lighter note (and a bit off-topic), here are a few "designer dog" breeds to think (and laugh) about:

* Airedale + Spaniel = Airiel, a dog that brings in good TV reception
* Basenji + Schipperke = Baserke, a dog that's mad about its owner
* Bloodhound + Labrador = Blabador, a dog that barks incessantly
* Bloodhound + Borzoi = Bloody Bore, a dog that's not much fun
* Chihuahua + Whippet = Chiapet, order from TV ads; 3 for $19.95
* Collie + Lhasa Apso = Collapso, a dog that folds up for easy transport
* Collie + Malamute = Commute, a dog that travels well
* Deerhound + Terrier = Derriere, a dog that's true to the end
* Great Pyrenees + Dachshund = Pyradachs, a puzzling breed
* Irish Water Spaniel + English Springer Spaniel = Irish Springer, a dog fresh and clean as a whistle
* Keeshond + Setter = Keester, you can't get this mutt off it's duff
* Kerry Blue Terrier + Skye Terrier = Blue Skye, a dog for visionaries
* Labrador Retriever + Curly Coated Retriever= Lab Coat Retriever, the choice of research scientists
* Malamute + Pointer = Moot Point, owned by....oh, well, it doesn't matter anyway
* Maltese + any other breed = Maltese Cross
* Newfoundland + Basset Hound = Newfound Asset Hound, a dog for financial advisers
* Pekingnese + Lhasa Apso = Peekasso, an abstract dog
* Pointer + Setter = Poinsetter, a traditional Christmas pet
* Smooth Fox Terrier + Chow Chow = Smooch, a dog who loves to kiss
* Spitz + Chow Chow = Spitz-Chow, a dog that throws up a lot

tundramom
01-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Congrats on the new addition to your family! Give your kitty some time, he/she will adjust, they always do. On a lighter note (and a bit off-topic), here are a few "designer dog" breeds to think (and laugh) about:

* Airedale + Spaniel = Airiel, a dog that brings in good TV reception
* Basenji + Schipperke = Baserke, a dog that's mad about its owner
* Bloodhound + Labrador = Blabador, a dog that barks incessantly
* Bloodhound + Borzoi = Bloody Bore, a dog that's not much fun
* Chihuahua + Whippet = Chiapet, order from TV ads; 3 for $19.95
* Collie + Lhasa Apso = Collapso, a dog that folds up for easy transport
* Collie + Malamute = Commute, a dog that travels well
* Deerhound + Terrier = Derriere, a dog that's true to the end
* Great Pyrenees + Dachshund = Pyradachs, a puzzling breed
* Irish Water Spaniel + English Springer Spaniel = Irish Springer, a dog fresh and clean as a whistle
* Keeshond + Setter = Keester, you can't get this mutt off it's duff
* Kerry Blue Terrier + Skye Terrier = Blue Skye, a dog for visionaries
* Labrador Retriever + Curly Coated Retriever= Lab Coat Retriever, the choice of research scientists
* Malamute + Pointer = Moot Point, owned by....oh, well, it doesn't matter anyway
* Maltese + any other breed = Maltese Cross
* Newfoundland + Basset Hound = Newfound Asset Hound, a dog for financial advisers
* Pekingnese + Lhasa Apso = Peekasso, an abstract dog
* Pointer + Setter = Poinsetter, a traditional Christmas pet
* Smooth Fox Terrier + Chow Chow = Smooch, a dog who loves to kiss
* Spitz + Chow Chow = Spitz-Chow, a dog that throws up a lot

LOL this made me so happy!
OP- congrats on the new addition to your family!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Nothing better than puppy kisses...glad to hear about everyone adopting from shelters, that really is the way to go and you get a lot of purebreeds and designer pups that way...I know because our sweet Maltipoo Buster Brown was a rescue-he was in foster care because the shelter manager felt he was too tiny for the shelter-one look and that's all it took, my heart:puppy::)