PDA

View Full Version : Could use a little pixie dust and prayers!!

minnie04
12-27-2013, 08:50 AM
We just found out my 17 yr. old nephew has "hyper thyroidism" We are all set to leave on a weeklong vacation and the Doctor called with this news. They are taking him to a doctor this morning hoping it’s not as bad as it could be. He is losing weight rapidly which triggered this blood work. I feel so bad for him he has been trying to put weight on for a while now and couldn't understand why it wasn't happening. He lost 9 pounds in the past two weeks. The doctor that found this was helping him try to gain weight. Of course now my BIL feels so bad for pushing him so hard. He is 6’2 155 and plays baseball, so they were trying to add some size on him naturally (of course) and it got so frustrating to his dad that he gained a nice amount of weight and then all of a sudden dropped it. The good news is at least they caught it now and can treat it….

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-27-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm so glad they found it!

:pixie: coming your way for good treatment and a return to health.

AgentC
12-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Sending lots of pixie dust your way.

I had hyperthyroidism cause by Grave's Disease. It takes a little bit of time for them the decide on the right course of treatment but it is totally treatable. I was diagnosed over 10 years ago and he will feel much better when they get his levels. right.

minnie04
12-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Thank you, he is going on meds today and they will wait to see the next course of action. I'm so happy this was caught early... :mickey: They cleared him for vacation, so NC here we come!!!! I hope it’s going to be really cold. Hot Christmas's are getting really old.

BrowncatP
12-27-2013, 07:15 PM
He will be fine. I had Grave's Disease while in high school. Lost weight, didn't have alot of strength as it started to eat into my muscles a bit. That sounds worse than it was. Most of us don't have much fat in high school, so as the body is in the "fast lane," your body burns up everything. Saw an endocrinologist, and took medication. Now instead of having a hyperthyroid, I am hypo. The thyroid burns itself out. Most people just have to take a pill and are fine. Don't worry!

TinkerbellT421
12-30-2013, 04:52 PM
sending Pixie dust! Glad they caught it early!