PDA

View Full Version : Booking more than a week and points

chefmickey3
12-24-2013, 09:37 PM
If we want to book 9 nights (2 nights (Wed, Thur) and then a week (Sat - Sat) will the computer know to give us the two nights at the cheaper rate and then the week if we book online or will I need to wait and talk to an agent? What time do the phone lines open for member services? We need to change an 11 month booking at 7 months and I am afraid it is complicated. I don't want to lose the hard to get room by waiting until ms opens. I also don't want to lose points if I book it wrong online and they overcharge.

VWL Mom
12-24-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm not really sure what you mean by cheaper rates. When you book online it will give you the breakdown of how many points you are using for each night. The points will be the same whether you call or book online. At 7 months you will book Wed & Thurs and then you would need to book again 7 months prior to the Sat start of the second reservation.

If you are already booked you would need to cancel that first unless you have enough points. If you feel your booking will be complicated you can always call MS beforehand and explain to them what you are trying to do.

chefmickey3
12-25-2013, 03:21 PM
The points for Wed and Thur are less than the points for Friday and Sat. I should be able to book 9 contiguous days but I don't want to use the points for Friday and Saturday as days 8 and 9. Sorry that doesn't make sense. We want to stay at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and I know it can be hard at 7 months.

VWL Mom
12-25-2013, 04:13 PM
But aren't you going to use the Friday night points in the second stay or am I reading something wrong? IMO you would be better to book the 9 contiguous nights and pay for the extra Friday at the end rather than chop it up for one night.

VCG is tough at 7 months, I just did it for end of June/beginning of July. Be online ready to go at 8AM. If you need to cancel the 11 month for points, do it beforehand. Member services also told me to grab it right away and book as a party of one and then call them to add the names. I had the reservation competed by 8:02am and when I check back 5 minutes later they were sold out.

TheDuckRocks
12-25-2013, 10:59 PM
If we want to book 9 nights (2 nights (Wed, Thur) and then a week (Sat - Sat) will ...

I am really confused by this question. :confused:
Where are you planning on staying the Friday night between the Wed/Thurs and the whole week Sat to Sat?

Johnno52
12-27-2013, 03:28 PM
For my 2014 stay I needed 13 continuous days. The online booking would not let me book more than 7 days then I had to wait another 7 days to book my next 6.
The days are charged from Sun-Thur (lower rate) and Fri & Sat (higher rate). The computer will calculate the two point usage rates automatically.

At one time the weekend point rate was high enough that we stayed at the value resorts and paid and saved the DVC points for the weekday use.

chefmickey3
12-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your replies. I was confused when I wrote my initial post. We need Thursday-Saturday (9 nights). I didn't realize that we could only book 7 nights at a time. So, we will need to book the first two nights Thursday and Friday and then Saturday to Saturday. If we did Thursday to Thursday and then add on Friday and Saturday then we would use the higher number of points for Friday and Saturday. I just feel nervous about getting the ressie. I appreciate all of the hints to try to get this tough reservation.

seanyred
12-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks for your replies. I was confused when I wrote my initial post. We need Thursday-Saturday (9 nights). I didn't realize that we could only book 7 nights at a time. So, we will need to book the first two nights Thursday and Friday and then Saturday to Saturday. If we did Thursday to Thursday and then add on Friday and Saturday then we would use the higher number of points for Friday and Saturday. I just feel nervous about getting the ressie. I appreciate all of the hints to try to get this tough reservation.

I'm sorry but I'm still confused by your post. Regardless if you book Thursday to Thursday and then add two days or book Thursday and Friday then the Sat to Sat. The point total would be the same. It doesn't matter which order book the stay.

For example to stay nine nights starting on Thursday you will have 6 weeknights and 3 weekend nights. To keep the math simple lets assume a weeknight would be worth 5 points and weekend night is 10 points. So this trip would 60 points.

But if you start your trip on a Sunday you would have 7 weeknights and 2 weekend nights for a total of 55 points.

Hope this makes sense and or helps. Or if I'm missing something let me know.

Johnno52
12-27-2013, 11:15 PM
I would book 7 days first then the other 2, reason is that 7 may be harder to get then 2. When I did mine the 8th day wasn't available but the 9-13 were. I had to go on standby which eventually came.
You can do all this online and you will get 2 reservation numbers. They should see this and keep you in the same rooms.
If you don't get all nine days you could call on the phone and speak to a CM. Mine was messed up because of what I mentioned and the CM corrected it all.
:mickey: