PDA

View Full Version : Want to visit AKL.. Staying at GF

Bruegge
12-17-2013, 07:54 PM
I've never been to AKL.. we are staying at GF for a week in June.

I would love to show the kids some animals other than on the safari ride.

Is there a public viewing area at the lodge where "visitors" could see the animals and check out the lodge? If so, where would go and how was it when you went.

ImagiAsh
12-18-2013, 12:10 AM
Hi! AKL is a beautiful resort and I'd definitely recommend checking it out. You can pretty much wander the entire resort with little hassle. If you walk straight through the lobby and out the back door, you'll quickly realize you've got a prime spot for seeing zebras, giraffes and more. Also, continue around the pool area for additional views of the savannah.

One thing I loved about AKL is that they had very well-informed cast members positioned at the main viewing points. In my experience, they were completely warm and welcoming -- eager to share facts about the wildlife we were viewing and excited to answer any questions.

Enjoy!

Pirate Granny
12-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Book a lunch or dinner at Boma's...there also are viewing areas with rocking chairs on the second or third level next to the atrium going out te back to view the animals. Also a good viewing area across the atrium from the fireplace.

MCeee
12-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Just to add to the previous posts...
While you're there, go on up (by foot or bus) to Kidani Village (the DVC resort next to AKL). Once again, go through the much smaller lobby and there's a viewing area at the back. This resort also has numerous viewing areas; near the pool; down the hallways, etc. Sanaa restaurant is also there, which has excellent food imho.

faline
12-18-2013, 06:38 PM
You can view animals from a number of viewing areas at Animal Kingdom Lodge. You will not see the same variety of animals, however, that you see on the Safari. For example, you won't see any Elephants.

Jen1984
12-21-2013, 09:38 AM
As PP's have mentioned there are plenty of places to view the animals, so it's definitely worth a visit! It's a gorgeous hotel and there is lots to do and see, so enjoy! At 4pm, most days you can do a tour of the restaurants, where you get free samples (!) of the delicious food, there are plenty of children's activities. In the evenings, you can also try out the night vision goggles which is also quite fun.