PDA

View Full Version : Finding something doesn't make it yours to keep

LoriSan
12-14-2013, 04:23 PM
My son left his very unique Philadelphia Phillies/Mickey Mouse hat on Star. Tours on Tuesday. DH went back for it in less than 10 minutes and it was gone. We checked with the CMs at the attraction a few times that night, and the front gate lost and found, and at the main Lost and Found the next day, and again a few days later. Someone helped themselves to what was obviously a child's hat. :mad:

Donald
12-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately, the same thing happened to us.
Sorry for your son...:(

kakn7294
12-14-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm sorry that he didn't get it back. It's a shame when people won't turn in lost items. However not everyone is so dishonest and I have had the experience of having a missing camera (FIL's wife), a missing wallet (student on band trip), missing mouse ears (DD's on SW airlines), and a missing hat (FIL's) all returned in trips over the years. Just remember, karma will get your thief eventually...

BowTie7
12-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Really bad luck. Many times cast members notice anything left behind and retrieve it before anyone else gets on the ride. I've been thankful more than once when a cast member is calling after you with a forgotten umbrella.

WiltonJohn
12-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Sorry that happened to you.

You know, a lot of complaints here on Intercot lately have focused on "poor cast members". I wonder if any attitude change there might be is at least partially attributible to the idea that maybe the nature of the GUESTS at Walt Disney World have changed, and not for the better.

And then cast members are dealing with more and more and more absurdly demanding people, and with more and more self-centered people who could care less about the experience of others there. SO the "burn out" factor is increasing.

On our last visit in October we had a number of "jerk" encounter type things happen related to other guests. WAY more than in the past.

best,

...................john

Arielfan98
12-14-2013, 05:53 PM
A similar story happened to us. My sister had expensive designer brand eyeglasses that she decided she wanted to leave in our rental van. Our van at home can lock while the doors slide to close, but we did not realize our rental van could not. So, someone stole her eyeglasses right out of the van.

On the bright side, my dad somehow forgot his cellphone on the monorail once. As soon as he realized it was gone, lost and found had closed so he went the next day and it was there. Luckily some kind people found it before someone greedily took it. There are some decent people out there.

Sorry about your son's hat. I'm not trying to blame you at all, but maybe from now on make sure he has all his belongings with him before leaving (assuming he's not old enough). My parents always made me do a checklist before leaving a place just to be sure I had everything. Hope this helps! Sorry about the hat!

Scar
12-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Sorry, that stinks.

But what's odd is, I keep leaving my Mets cap behind on purpose but people keep returning it to me. :confused:

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-14-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm sorry!

We always return items, since someone is missing them. Last trip it was an iPod, and as we walked into GR in MK, a boy yelled out "Mom, they have my iPod"; they had arrived to report it lost.

It was great to be able to return it in person. :thumbsup:

VAdizneefan
12-14-2013, 07:39 PM
I'd still make sure central Lost and Found is aware that the item is missing. It could still show up some time later. I had a friend lose a Kindle while there in August and she got it back several weeks later.

:mickey:

TheVBs
12-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Sorry about your son's hat. Like others have suggested, I would definitely keep checking with Lost and Found. Just because you didn't get it back on the trip, doesn't mean it's a given that someone kept it.

We found a camera under the flap on a stroller at AK once. We turned it in right at the stroller rental desk. The thought of losing our camera with all our memories was like a punch in the gut. I think most people are honest and would turn it in.

On the flip side, we lost a phone on POTC and the CMs found it immediately and got it right out to us!

WDWgoofy
12-15-2013, 10:02 AM
I agree with OP, but the society we live in today lives according to the rule, finders keepers, losers weepers.

I've unfortunately left behind things in rides that were never found and in these cases I realized the loss within a couple of minutes:confused:

MrPeetrie
12-15-2013, 10:47 AM
First, sorry about the loss of your hat. That stinks. But I will say that we've found the frequenters of Walt Disney World do a better job of returning lost items than when we're outside the bubble. We have both found misplaced items we've turned in to Cast Members, as well as have lost items returned to us so I think the Disney guests are as a whole a pretty decent group of people.

A few years back, I was in line at an ice cream cart. The line was about 15 minutes long as it was a hot day. I was next in line and the guest in front of me was making several purchases. He gathered his items and walked away. As I was "finally" about to order, I noticed a wallet on the cart. It had to be his; his hands were full. I grabbed the wallet, jumped out of line and chased him down and gave it to him to many thanks.

Upon my return to the line, the other guests allowed me to resume my order instead of going to the back. As I was ordering, I heard a guest say, "See that. I tell you people here are different. I see that sort of thing all the time."

It made me feel good. I agree with the woman behind me: Disney people are generally a little nicer than average.

Just my opinion.

It still stinks about the hat, though!

SBETigg
12-15-2013, 12:28 PM
We've lost things at WDW and some stayed lost, but some we got back, reclaimed from the Lost and Found. We lost a ball cap and a camera (left in a cab). We lost and got back a cell phone (left on Space Mountain, reclaimed at Lost and Found), and some souvenir coasters that I accidentally left behind at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. I told the concierge desk on the day we were leaving, and a server found them and mailed them to us at home. There are all kinds of people in the world. I like to think that most of us are good at heart.

Mitzie
12-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Sorry about your loss. We left my DS lanyard and pins at the restaurant in Italy and even checking with lost and found never got it back. It is hard when raising kids. You teach them one way and when it doesn't come back to them that same way it is hard for them to understand. We have raised out kids by my grandmothers motto; You don't know whose it is, but you know it's not yours" Treat others as you would want to be treated..if you lost something you would want it back...

Aurora
12-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Over the years, we've "lost" many things at WDW; unfortunately, most weren't lost, they were taken out of our strollers that we left parked while we were going on an attraction. They were left there unintentionally, absent-mindedly. The worst were an SLR camera and my mom's zip-up sweatshirt she had gotten from Paris (not expensive, but meaningful to her). In both cases, someone just decided to help themselves.

We're from Chicago (city proper), so we usually guard our belongings because we recognize that if you don't, you "lose" them. Sometimes you just forget to take them with you, though.

Ironically, the best luck we've had with losing things and getting them back was in New York. Camcorder camera left in the Toys 'R' Us store in Times Square and a cell phone lost in the American Museum of Natural History. Both were turned into lost and found.

Good people are good people and dishonest people are dishonest. They don't suddenly change when they're at WDW.

SurferStitch
12-16-2013, 11:26 AM
And then cast members are dealing with more and more and more absurdly demanding people, and with more and more self-centered people who could care less about the experience of others there. SO the "burn out" factor is increasing.

I saw this in full action at MK last week.

As DH and I left Hall of Presidents, we stopped in the gift shop. A man was there with is 10ish son and DW. He was loudly complaining to a CM at the register how his son couldn't see the MSEP.

Apparently, they were trying to nab a spot at one of the pedestrian crossover over areas that they tape off. He was told he had to move until the parade started and the rope was put up. When the CM put the rope up, he was mad that people walked to that area faster than they did, and then his son was stuck behind people for the parade. This was the early parade (there was also a 10pm parade that night).

The CM at the register asked what he wanted her to do, and he wanted to lodge a formal complaint. She was on the phone with someone to get some sort of resolution for the guy.

We couldn't believe the audacity of this guy. He was rediculous, and teaching his son that acting like a total jerk gets you unrealistic results. We didn't stick around, but I hope the guy was told to go packing.

The CM seemed to keep her cool pretty well.

Ian
12-16-2013, 01:32 PM
I've lost lots of items in WDW and I'm sad to say I've never gotten one of them back.

Although all of mine have been valuable items, like sunglasses and cell phones. I'd think a kids hat would have been returned.

Gator
12-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Here's an educated guess. Everything that you lose at MK has a greater chance of not being returned than at the other parks? Why? Because Johny Q Public spends more time at MK, whereas the honest family traveler spends more time at the other parks. Just a theory, but I bet I'm right.

JMTStone
12-17-2013, 09:54 AM
It totally stinks that you had your hat stolen. I've "sharpie" labeled a lot of our items before traveling because when at Disney, I'm focused on the magic instead of my camera. I know, that won't stop some people but it will also help me identify to the Lost and Found folks.

I have an iPhone (sorry John - I don't have the "my favorite Disney site is INTERCOT" as my signature) but I do have a special Mickey Red otter box.

As I am very diligent about silencing my phone, I pocketed it at Philharmagic. Well, it must have fell out. Someone must have returned it to Lost and Found. I got it back. I was able to identify by the box color AND my name sharpie-tag. The CM also said my lock screen pic of Rafiki was outstanding!

Disney4us2
12-17-2013, 12:07 PM
So sorry about the lost cap. Just not right...

My DD lost a stuffed toy at California Adventure and we never got it back. I ended up replacing it. It was a small Rudolph and "Santa" found the exact same one on Ebay.

This past Saturday we were at Hollywood Studios. My DD left her water bottle behind. We were at Epcot when she wanted it. We were parked at the Studios parking lot so went back to see if it was there... Lucky for DD they had the water bottle at the podium.

buzznwoodysmom
12-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Sorry about your son's hat! You would like to think something like a child's hat would be turned in.

I saw/experienced something similar a few weeks ago. We were headed to the bus stop on our way to one of the parks when my SIL shows me this adorable little girls hair bow she found by the pool on the way out. I asked her if she was going to turn it into the front desk. To my surprise she said "no, it's too cute and it matches her outfit today", and then proceeded to clip the bow into her daughter's hair. I cringed!!!! I was so shocked, couldn't believe my eyes and ears. Even my youngest son, who had heard the conversation, said "mom, is she joking? Or is she really keeping that?". I thought it was pretty sad when an 11 year old boy knows better than a 20 something year old mother of two. I wondered if she even realized that she is teaching her kids that it's ok to take things that don't belong to them, setting horrible example.

PETE FROM NYC
12-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Sorry, that stinks.

But what's odd is, I keep leaving my Mets cap behind on purpose but people keep returning it to me. :confused:

Hey DON'T DIS MY METS !!!

Scar
12-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Hey DON'T DIS MY METS !!!Trust me on this one Pete... I'm allowed to.

mom2morgan
12-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm SO sorry :-( my daughter lost a hat in the movie theatre at Disneyland - again we went back within 10 minutes. That kind of thing really hurts the whole feeling of magic that usually surrounds Disney. What can I say? Some people are jerks. Thankfully, most are good.

My son left his very unique Philadelphia Phillies/Mickey Mouse hat on Star. Tours on Tuesday. DH went back for it in less than 10 minutes and it was gone. We checked with the CMs at the attraction a few times that night, and the front gate lost and found, and at the main Lost and Found the next day, and again a few days later. Someone helped themselves to what was obviously a child's hat. :mad:

TinkerbellT421
12-30-2013, 05:06 PM
So sorry to hear about your sons hat :(

It always makes me sad for humanity when I hear stories of people taking things they find that are not theirs. I always look at situations on how I would feel if it were me.

Left my cell phone charger behind in POP a while back, didn't realize till late the night we got back, called the next morning and they hadn't found it yet, three days later I got a call back saying they found it and mailed it to me.

One day we got on Test Track, DBF sat down and sat down on a man's wallet, full of a lot of cash, we handed it to the CM's right away, we even said "Hopefully the cash makes it back to him too". It's sad when you can't trust humanity as a whole.

lawgirl
12-30-2013, 05:24 PM
On our recent trip (first week Dec 2013) I personally witnessed 2 separate people (different location, different times) drop cash and not even notice. Both times it was a $20 bill. I picked it up and got their attention immediately.

Please keep your cash somewhere safe! I'm honest, but alot of people aren't! One woman said that she had just shoved it in her pocket for easy access. Whoops!

PlutoPlanet
12-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Sorry, that stinks.

Great one. That's the line of the day!

My2Sons
12-31-2013, 12:44 PM
This happened to us as well... Twice! Once my son left his brand new Kermit hat behind. We checked lost and found, but nothing. Oh well, his fault. Another time he put his replacement Kermit hat on the chair and somehow it "walked" away. :( After the third hat, he was not allowed to take it off if we were out, and all of us, even little brother, constantly asked WHERE is your hat? Our kids are not allowed to take toys or anything "extra" to the parks. Less stuff to worry about. I am sorry that happened to you, it is very frustrating!