PDA

View Full Version : Pesky single riders

polarbear72834
12-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Does anyone else find it totally ruins the ride if they stick some pesky stranger on the ride with you ? Last time my husband and I rode test track, they put some stranger in with us and totally ruined the ride for both of us.. Just wondering if it's just us or do single riders irritate others also.

tiggerbuddy
12-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Doesn't bother me...

DizneyFreak2002
12-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Does anyone else find it totally ruins the ride if they stick some pesky stranger on the ride with you ? Last time my husband and I rode test track, they put some stranger in with us and totally ruined the ride for both of us.. Just wondering if it's just us or do single riders irritate others also.

Nope, nothing irritating about it... Where are they going to put single riders, in WDW prison for not having a fellow rider with them? Or should they ban single riders cause you think it ruins the ride...

I have had single riders with me, I've been a single rider.. Honestly, they are just fine and only looking for the same good time you are having... You want to stop a single rider from enjoying an attraction cause you are freaked out about them? No offense but maybe the problem is you, not a single rider... Just saying...

polarbear72834
12-14-2013, 01:59 PM
You would have had to been in my seat next to him to understand the problem.. He was one annoying joker..

Johnno52
12-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Please this is a place where many visitors cannot do rides in pairs for many reasons. Many teens do rides without older family members. I welcome anyone to enjoy the rides with us or when I am alone! This is also one vacation spot were you don't have to pay extra because you are single!

polarbear72834
12-14-2013, 02:08 PM
He was being very rude, saying dirty words when it would pick up speed. And he wasn't a teenager either.. Was just very awkward . I do realize that it feels kind of fast and all, but really holy cow would have worked just as well as the words he chose to use..

buzznwoodysmom
12-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. We are a family of 4, but my mother travels with us frequently. She is always seated with a "single"rider and we have never had any one of those riders ruin an attraction for our family or for my mother. For us it's not even something we've ever even had a second thought about.

polarbear72834
12-14-2013, 02:16 PM
This was the first time we've ever had a problem with a single rider also..

SBETigg
12-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Occasionally, you can get stuck with a really odd single rider, which is what apparently happened to the OP. But the lines would take so much longer if they left empty seats. Especially on the really popular rides. And we've usually ended up with perfectly fine single riders with us.

We actually prefer to take the single rider option on a ride like Test Track or Expedition Everest. We have done them as a family enough times that we don't feel the need to sit next to each other to enjoy the experience, and a five or ten minute wait to go separately is preferable to a forty minute wait or more to ride together. It is awkward when you're a single rider paired with people who would obviously rather not have you there, which is what has happened to me in the past. And I am not an obnoxious co-rider. I tend to keep to myself.

So, having been on both sides of this (a single rider and paired with single riders) I try to be welcoming and friendly to single riders. But overall, my bottom line is that no one else is ever going to ruin my Disney experience. If anything, weird single riders give us something to talk about and laugh about later. But for me, it's usually not a one-time ride. When you are in a park long enough to ride multiple times, what happens on one ride among many doesn't really matter as much. If it was my only ride and I was paired with a jerk, that would be a little harder to bear.

JerseyDad
12-14-2013, 02:49 PM
.....Where are they going to put single riders, in WDW prison for not having a fellow rider with them? ....

....Or should they ban single riders cause you think it ruins the ride... :banned:

.....:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

...people don't seem to understand ...your park admission ticket ...gets you access to a ride or attraction ...and A seat ...NOT A VEHICLE

Dulcee
12-14-2013, 03:15 PM
We were seated with an enthusiastic teenager on splash mountain our last trip. Aside from DH and I he was the only one in the boat.

He was either very chatty and unaware of social norms or maybe had some type of social disorder. Either way we smiled and DH made conversation since he obviously wanted to chat. I think the kid meant well, even if I would have preferred to have taken in a quiet late night trip on Splash.

They are 2-3 minute rides max, I try not to let the little things get to me on vacation :) Single riders, filling vehicles to capacity, all necessary to keep wait times low.

polarbear72834
12-14-2013, 03:22 PM
A chatty teen would not have bothered me at all as long as he didn't use nasty words. Like meeting new people and all and single riders usually don't bother me, but the man on test track is the only one I've ever had a problem with. He was old enough to know that its very rude to use such language. Sure don't expect to hear that on a ride.

Melanie
12-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Sounds like what was hopefully a one time, rare experience. We've never had issues with single riders, and I always try and be a courteous single rider myself.

tinkwest
12-14-2013, 04:55 PM
I agree with others that this seems to be more about the specific rider than the fact that he was a single rider.

I've been on an attraction where an entire group (I assumed an extended family by the variety of ages) ruined it for our family. At the end of the ride a Cast Member let us get back on without standing in line again because of the distraction we had to deal with.

My only problem with single riders was when I was in a single rider line and the loading cast member asked each person with an empty seat beside them "Do you mind if a single rider sits next to you?". I was shocked at how many people refused to share their space. It turned out that I would have gotten on faster standing in the regular line!

kakn7294
12-14-2013, 05:03 PM
I can't say that we've ever had a problem with a single rider either. There are always jerks everywhere and unavoidably, someone will be obnoxious and ruin the ride for someone else. I usually like the single riders, especially the chatty ones, as you can meet some really cool people.

JerseyDad
12-14-2013, 05:14 PM
....apparently there's an interesting equation that seemingly holds true at any other venue but WDW:

....Pesky Single Riders = Paying Customers

Arielfan98
12-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Unfortunately riding with an odd number can cause you to sit with a lousy single rider. However, single riders aren't always bad. One time on Everest I was forced to sit with a foreign family and they stared me down. I didn't let that rain on my parade. But every other time I've met friendly people one of which this summer was a girl from the UK my own age who was vacationing all around the U.S over the summer. I had a nice conversation with her and learned about her culture a bit. Single riders are people like you that want a good time and not always will they fit to your personality, but they are people too and sometimes can't help but be in the single rider if in fact they did come to the parks alone. Even if Disney did eliminate the single rider line you'd be bound to sit with one at some point.

Sorry but unless you rent the park out for yourself, single riders and other people will exist at the park. It's ok if you didn't like that guy, but don't rule out all single riders because of one person.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-14-2013, 06:45 PM
My DH is often a single rider, since DD and I are pretty much ride wimps.

He often shares a quick story about who he sat with, and sometimes they chat, but usually just a quick hello, or something about the ride.

For us, it is perfect, he gets on the ride, we don't have to wait as long for him, and Disney gets more people through the ride ... really a win all around.

I'm sorry for the OP though, sounds like it was an INTERESTING single rider seated with them.

gerald72
12-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Maybe he was annoyed by you, also.

Scar
12-15-2013, 07:49 AM
I agree with others that this seems to be more about the specific rider than the fact that he was a single rider.Right. I am quite certain that this rider would have used the same language had he been with a partner or a group.

TheVBs
12-15-2013, 08:51 AM
It definitely sounds like the problem was that this single rider was swearing profusely, not just that there was a single rider. Anyone would have the right to be annoyed by that, whether it's coming from a paying customer or not. No one here can believably argue that they would be OK with someone walking around WDW swearing where kids could hear him.

But, the single rider line in general is a fabulous idea! I've only used it once, when DH talked me into trying EE. I sat next to a 10 year old girl who, bless her heart, talked me through the whole thing! :blush: She was so sweet, I could've hugged her!

WDWgoofy
12-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Seriously...?

Why stop with single riders?

Imagine how great your experience would be if WDW just removed all other pesky people from the park, so you and your lovable spouse could truly have an uninterrupted experience

JerseyDad
12-15-2013, 11:10 AM
....those that are not thrilled with sharing a ride 'vehicle" with a single-rider stranger are seriously not thinking of all the fun that can be had afterwards ....particularly with the rides that take a photo of you (Splash Mtn, Buzz, Test Track etc).

....you buy the photo of you in the ride with a stranger.

....you take photo home and scan it or get a digital copy (not sure how system works?)

....you then pull out the trusty photoshop program ...and alter the picture.

....what a great conversation piece you'd have with that Splash Mtn ride picture hanging on the wall ...showing you, your significant other, and say ...The Pope!! Or perhaps you and Harrison Ford battling the evil Zurg on Buzz Lightyear. Possibilities are endless ....

dnickels
12-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Eh, you got a weird person, that has nothing to do with single riders in general.

On the flip side, has anyone been paired with a person or couple on one of the thrill rides and then the person rides silent through the whole thing? Not going "Whoooooooooo!!!!!!" on the fast parts of the coasters and thrill rides is a big part of the fun.

Buttercup
12-15-2013, 04:27 PM
I try to be a respectful single rider when I am in that position... but sometimes, like when I'm on Rock n' Rollercoaster for example, sitting next to a stranger, I often wonder if they think I'm a crazy person from the way I scream and laugh during that ride! :coaster:
Meh, I figure they'll have a good story to tell their friends back home about the crazy woman they were forced to sit with. :mickey:

LVT
12-15-2013, 04:37 PM
(There is also the possibility of his having Tourette's or a similar problem). I would have been annoyed by his language also. Unfortunately such language is common. The more so as people drink.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-16-2013, 08:21 AM
It doesn't seem to me to be a problem with the single rider system. If he was using bad language and being offensive he probably would have done the same thing in a separate car and you may have still heard him.

Mickey'sGirl
12-16-2013, 08:43 AM
I agree with others that this seems to be more about the specific rider than the fact that he was a single rider.

I've been on an attraction where an entire group (I assumed an extended family by the variety of ages) ruined it for our family. At the end of the ride a Cast Member let us get back on without standing in line again because of the distraction we had to deal with.This seems to happen to us on Pirates ....

SurferStitch
12-16-2013, 11:35 AM
On the flip side, has anyone been paired with a person or couple on one of the thrill rides and then the person rides silent through the whole thing? Not going "Whoooooooooo!!!!!!" on the fast parts of the coasters and thrill rides is a big part of the fun.

I had that happen to me on Everest last week. I sat next to an older gentleman. His wife and adult daughter sat behind us. Not one of them responded when I said Hi. They totally ignored me, and never made a peep the entire ride. He sat totally stone-faced the entire time!

I still had fun, and probably annoyed them with my happy screaming. Ha ha!!

#1donaldfan
12-16-2013, 12:01 PM
As far as the typical single rider goes, they're great !! I am one of them every year, so are my kids. Being a single rider has nothing to do with vulgarity. :mickey:

Sylvia
12-16-2013, 12:34 PM
As far as the typical single rider goes, they're great !! I am one of them every year, so are my kids. Being a single rider has nothing to do with vulgarity. :mickey:

My sentiments exactly.:thumbsup::mickey:

Bruegge
12-17-2013, 04:21 PM
On test track almost 7 years ago... My DD 8 and I had a young man sit with us from the single rider line.. I told him since we were going to be "in pictures later" we should be on a first name basis...

So... we have a pic from the ride and when people see it they say... who's that? I tell them Oh...that's Tim from Georgia...

It's all what you make of it

DonaldDuckUSA
12-19-2013, 01:42 PM

:rofl: This happened to me on Test Track! I literally giggle THE WHOLE RIDE! Not laugh, but giggle. So weird. We did single rider for the first time on TT and I sat with a father son who, I swear, did not crack a smile the whole time. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? I tried to hold in the giggling, but it's impossible for me. All the times we've done single rider, people have been totally into the ride, but that one time was rough. :-) I'm sure they were like "This crazy girl is like a clown...just keeps giggling."

MNNHFLTX
12-19-2013, 07:20 PM
....those that are not thrilled with sharing a ride 'vehicle" with a single-rider stranger are seriously not thinking of all the fun that can be had afterwards ....particularly with the rides that take a photo of you (Splash Mtn, Buzz, Test Track etc).

....you buy the photo of you in the ride with a stranger.

....you take photo home and scan it or get a digital copy (not sure how system works?)

....you then pull out the trusty photoshop program ...and alter the picture.

....what a great conversation piece you'd have with that Splash Mtn ride picture hanging on the wall ...showing you, your significant other, and say ...The Pope!! Or perhaps you and Harrison Ford battling the evil Zurg on Buzz Lightyear. Possibilities are endless ....
On Space Mountain in Disneyland Paris we had a single rider riding with us. At the end when we were looking at our ride picture, the CM member offered to Photoshop the picture for us and replaced the single rider with the image of an astronaut. It was great! I think they should be able to do that in the U.S. parks too. :thumbsup:

ransam
12-20-2013, 01:24 AM
if it bothered you that much, then go on it again as a single rider and you can pester someone too.

JerseyDad
12-20-2013, 03:34 PM
if it bothered you that much, then go on it again as a single rider and you can pester someone too.

....interesting (seriously) .....and kinda' thought provoking ...in a way. Because I wonder if someone that's on a single rider line ....ever has the mindset that they ...as a single rider ...will be the ONLY rider?

Kairi_7378
12-21-2013, 10:08 AM

I was that strange person a few years ago on Everest. I was paired with the Dad from a family of three and we chatted for a few minutes. Then the ride started and he pulled out a video camera and taped the ride and I worried about sounding like a lunatic and kept quiet the whole time (until I yelled "The Yeti is Down!" at the end.) After the ride (and the camera) stopped, he asked if I had gotten so scared on the ride that I didn't yell. :blush:

DonLefNY
12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Single riders have never bothered me. One time though at Expedition Everest I was the single rider and the lady I was to ride with flipped out when I went to enter the car, screaming and yelling "NO!" and then started to cry. I said "Lady you're nuts" :scratch: and stepped out. Then a CM came along and told me to get in and the lady started all over again. The CM told me to wait for the next train.

Terra
12-22-2013, 07:00 PM
meh, wouldn't have bothered me. Everyone has their own moral compass and way of life. My family and I would have probably gotten a good chuckle out of him.
However, I must admit, I say some 'adult' words as well [since I'm adult].

JerseyDad
12-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Single riders have never bothered me. One time though at Expedition Everest I was the single rider and the lady I was to ride with flipped out when I went to enter the car, screaming and yelling "NO!" and then started to cry. I said "Lady you're nuts" :scratch: and stepped out. Then a CM came along and told me to get in and the lady started all over again. The CM told me to wait for the next train.

....I woulda' gotten in anyway ...just to see her flip. Heck ...every bit of entertainment factor you can get is welcomed!! :popcorn:

....I mean ...really ...what's she gonna' do ...jump out? :D

Gator
12-23-2013, 11:49 AM
I've gotten pretty used to singel riders. With three kids, one of us parents is always left behind to watch while the other rides. In fact, it keeps us from having to use fastpasses at times.

finaldynasty
12-24-2013, 11:28 PM
I am going on a solo trip in March for my 40th Birthday, so I will try not to be that guy. I will say that it did not bother me in the past. I've ridden with pretty cool single riders. I have three kids and I'm usually the person who rides with the random person as my wife rides with my youngest and my older two ride together. sorry to hear about your experience.

mom2morgan
12-27-2013, 04:44 PM
I think we actually freaked a couple out a bit when my DD was 10 - we used the single rider line at Test Track, and she got put in with a young couple in their 20's. Before the ride started they kept asking her if she was going to be okay, and the guy insisted on double checking her restraings. She WAS fine - she's better at thrill rides than I am - but they probably thought we were evil parents!

texas211
12-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Hey Disney World would be perfect if it wasn't for the million other people I have to share the park with.

I think there is always a chance other folks can cause a bad experience, whether they are single or multi riders. But, that is just part of it. Disney resorts would be way better if I could have one to myself when I come home.

wdw dude
12-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Last time my husband and I rode test track, they put some stranger in with us and totally ruined the ride for both of us..

That must have been me because I do single rider on Test Track all the time!

:mickey: