PDA

View Full Version : Do they still offer the front car on the monorail?

Bruegge
12-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Years ago... it's been 7... the monorail driver would come out of the first car and wait... I saw someone ask it they "could ride up front"..

He said yes... and let the family in the first car.

The next day at the transportation center on our way to epcot I asked and got the first car for our family.. Not exactly a thrill ride but it was really cool. The fact that it was all the way to epcot made for a long ride also... we had a nice chat with the driver and got some nice pics too.

Has anyone done this or seen it done lately ??

SBETigg
12-14-2013, 11:21 AM
No, there was a terrible accident several years ago (2009) that killed a monorail driver and it hasn't been allowed since then for safety/liability reasons.

Arielfan98
12-14-2013, 12:29 PM
No they haven't since the accident. Although I still have the treasured picture of me and my sister sitting in the front in the early 2000s.

buzznwoodysmom
12-14-2013, 01:13 PM
We have some really great memories, and pics, from several front rides on the monorail! The Epcot loop was our favorite.

Unfortunately, as previous posters have already stated, this hasn't been allowed since the accident. Our last ride in the front was just weeks before that terrible accident. So glad we got to do it so many times, and we miss that tradition, but understand their reasoning.

BrowncatP
12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
At Disneyland they still allow you to sit up front.

mickclub1955
12-14-2013, 10:19 PM
At Disneyland they still allow you to sit up front.

This is funny, because when we went back in 2002 they would not let us ride in the front of the monorail there. They said they do not let people do that at DL, it was only at WDW.

paymerich
12-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Sad ,sad, sad but true . they will probably never let people ride in the front again. It would be cool if they could some open the rear to passengers but it is probably as "dangerous" as the front . My WDW favorite picture of all time is one of my oldest DS sitting in the front with Space Mountain off in the distance and his is looking towards it . I still have my Monorail drivers licenses from way back (70's).
The monorail is at the essence of what makes Disney great and magical.

Main Street Jim
12-20-2013, 12:04 AM
One of my favorite stories of "playing at the parks" was just after my wife and I started working there.

We got to ride in the front of Monorail Blue from TTC to EPCOT. My son, who was about, oh, 11 at the time, noticed that the front windshield was cracked at the very front/bottom. As we turned to head south on the loop, my son innocently enough asked the pilot what had happened to the windshield.

Without missing a beat, the pilot replied, "Hit a deer." My son got this really perplexed look on his face, and says, "*REALLY*...??"

I couldn't stop laughing the whole way down to EPCOT.

ransam
12-20-2013, 01:13 AM
My buddy use to love this. he was very sad when it was ended.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Not since Austin was fatally injured back in July 2010. RIP.
We got to do this a few times before that happened. My nephew William was about 2.5 years old the first time he got to ride in the front. He was so excited he jumped/bounced on the seat and smacked his head on the windshield. Maybe that's how the crack really occurred Jim? lol

Mrs Bus Driver
12-23-2013, 08:33 AM
I remember doing this at DL when I was very young (So about 50 years ago). I wonder if they still allow it there? :mickey:

tinkwest
12-23-2013, 11:14 AM
I remember doing this at DL when I was very young (So about 50 years ago). I wonder if they still allow it there? :mickey:

Yes, they do.

Gator
12-23-2013, 11:44 AM

Yes, we just missed getting to do it on our Novemeber trip. And I do miss it at WDW. Got to do it once back in 2004 and it was just amazing. Wish I had the chance to catch it on my HD camera so I can relive it over and over.