PDA

View Full Version : Now only 2 Cheetahs in AK. What happened to the 3rd?

Zawadi
12-14-2013, 08:25 AM
For years there have been three cheetahs at the Animal Kingdom. Two sisters and another female.

However, only the two sisters are around. When I asked our Wild Africa Trek guide, the subject was changed very quickly!

This leads me in thinking that the non-sibling either died, was attacked or simple moved to another sanctuary.

The truth is out there somewhere. Can anybody help out?

Dulcee
12-14-2013, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't assume that something is fishy.

Your guide on the trek is not a keeper and its likely she is unsure as to why there was a change. AK is a huge zoo, its unlikely every employee is up to date on the animal program, especially if a change is routine.

AK is part of many AZA (association of zoo and aquarium) breeding programs. Its possible she was moved for that. Its possible they keep them on a rotating display as cheetahs are fairly solitary animals in the wild. Its possible she was loaned to another institution or that she passed away from natural causes, even zoo animals age. To get an actual answer you'd need to speak to someone much closer to the animal welfare side of AK.

mickclub1955
12-14-2013, 09:05 AM
On our Wild Africa Trek, the guides didn't have any problem telling us that the original Lions had passed away. They were also had gotten a new set that were still in the back acclimating. Once they were ready, they were going to rotate them with the current pair that were there. I am sure that if something bad happened (animal died) and the guide knew she would have told you. Like Dulcee said this could be a new set.

gerald72
12-15-2013, 01:09 AM
Cheetahs never win.

WDWdriver
12-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Of the original six tigers on the Maharajah Jungle Trek only four remain. Two have been put down by the veterinary staff due to untreatable illnesses.

paymerich
12-19-2013, 11:36 AM
I thought it was suspicious of that new meal offering at Yak and Yeti: cheetah cheese burgers ?? JK!!;)

ransam
12-20-2013, 01:49 AM
Maybe one is away shooting a commercial for Cheettos.