PDA

View Full Version : What is the fast pass plus? how do I get it?

Bruegge
12-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Sorry, but I've been away for 7 years.... please tell me how this works.

Do you get "picked" for it?? Do I order it?? Does it cost anything??

Do you get to "get a fast pass without being in the park"? basically make an attraction reservation rather than go to the park... get a fast pass at the attraction and then hang around till it's time.

I think It would be neat to know BEFORE leaving for MK I have a fastpass for Space Mountain at 2;00pm before getting to the park.

That would be cool I think ... I'd love to hear the pros and cons

Im going in June staying at GF

Thanks

MickeysBestPal
12-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Sorry, but I've been away for 7 years.... please tell me how this works.

1- Do you get "picked" for it??

2- Do I order it??

3- Does it cost anything??

4- Do you get to "get a fast pass without being in the park"? basically make an attraction reservation rather than go to the park...

5- get a fast pass at the attraction and then hang around till it's time.

6- I think It would be neat to know BEFORE leaving for MK I have a fastpass for Space Mountain at 2;00pm before getting to the park.

That would be cool I think ... I'd love to hear the pros and cons

7- Im going in June staying at GF

Thanks

1- Nope.
2- Sorta.
3- Not directly.
4- That's one of the options.
5- Nope.
6- OK. That's one of its functions.
7- Things are in testing mode now, and we don't know for how long that will continue.

You need to purchase tickets IN ADVANCE of your trip to make advance FP+ reservations.
If you have a PACKAGE that includes tickets at the GF, that qualifies.
You now need to go to the WDW website and research (and sign up for) "MyDisneyExperience" to get started on FastPass+.
You may make your FP+ reservations up to 60 days in advance of your trip.

That said, there are many pros and cons to this system,
and much discussion about how it works (or not) for a better park experience.

Bruegge
12-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Short of using up Fast pass times for people already in the park.

The need to plan even further when and where you need to be on each day in the park.

What other negatives can you come up with for the fastpass+

gerald72
12-10-2013, 11:29 PM
More negatives?
Non-transferable. I can't hand my paper fastpass to my son and let him ride twice.
He can't ride twice at all.
No sponteneity. I can't hop on whatever bus pulls up and go to that park. Unless I don't want FP.
Limits. Only 3 ( or 4) per day. I used to get at least 7 or 8 FP.

JerseyDad
12-10-2013, 11:54 PM
More negatives?
Non-transferable. I can't hand my paper fastpass to my son and let him ride twice.
He can't ride twice at all.
No sponteneity. I can't hop on whatever bus pulls up and go to that park. Unless I don't want FP.
Limits. Only 3 ( or 4) per day. I used to get at least 7 or 8 FP.

....let's add ...absolutely mind numbing to have to plan what park / what day / what time / what ride .....not knowing weather / crowd level / level of fatigue ...months in advance .....yadda yadda yadda....

1DisneyNut
12-11-2013, 09:18 AM
For those that were park hoppers, it pretty much kills it. There is no way to get FP's for more than one park per day.

The main problem is having to pre-plan what is supposed to be a relaxing enjoyable vacation at such a fine grained level months in advance. What if the weather is bad on Tuesday? What if they extend the park hours in Magic Kingdom by two hours after you are already at WDW and you want to change what parks you do on every day to accomodate that change? You then have to spend an hour or two going through canceling FP+'s for you entire trip and then trying to reschedule new ones but then all the good time slots are gone. You then get stuck with FP+'s for rides you really didn't want or your times are 10:30PM but you planned on going back to the room at 9:00.

We could go on and on with examples and scenarios about how FP+ is a huge inconvenience with very little benefit.

VWL Mom
12-11-2013, 09:58 AM
For those that were park hoppers, it pretty much kills it. There is no way to get FP's for more than one park per day.

My thought leans towards it being a benefit for hoppers. We sometimes do morning EMH at the parks and not have a real need for FP but the afternoon park would have late FP returns or they would be gone. Now for our upcoming trip we have a DHS afternoon with RnRC, ToT, and TSM times booked and an MK evening with SM, BTMRR, and Jungle Cruise all set.

1DisneyNut
12-11-2013, 10:16 AM
My thought leans towards it being a benefit for hoppers. We sometimes do morning EMH at the parks and not have a real need for FP but the afternoon park would have late FP returns or they would be gone. Now for our upcoming trip we have a DHS afternoon with RnRC, ToT, and TSM times booked and an MK evening with SM, BTMRR, and Jungle Cruise all set.

But have you read that standby wait times for the popular rides have been almost immediately long (an hour or more) because they are prescheduling so many FP+'s for park opening times and forward? The whole get to the park at opening and ride the popular rides first before it gets busy routine has been affected dramtically by FP+ when the parks are busy.

JerseyDad
12-11-2013, 10:26 AM

The main problem is having to pre-plan what is supposed to be a relaxing enjoyable vacation at such a fine grained level months in advance. What if the weather is bad on Tuesday? What if they extend the park hours in Magic Kingdom by two hours after you are already at WDW and you want to change what parks you do on every day to accomodate that change? You then have to spend an hour or two going through canceling FP+'s for you entire trip and then trying to reschedule new ones but then all the good time slots are gone. You then get stuck with FP+'s for rides you really didn't want or your times are 10:30PM but you planned on going back to the room at 9:00.

We could go on and on with examples and scenarios about how FP+ is a huge inconvenience with very little benefit.

....the only benefit is one that WDW gets ...which is having you commited to ONE PARK ...for an extended period of time (in order to reap the FP+ benefit). That way you are literally a captive audience ....with money in you pocket ...and down-time between FP+ appointments ...and not hopping to another park where you are using some mode of transport ...and being NOT able to spend what's in your pocket. (though ...next step for WDW will be candy / snack vendors on buses, monorail, ferries...)

But have you read that standby wait times for the popular rides have been almost immediately long (an hour or more) because they are prescheduling so many FP+'s for park opening times forward? The whole get to the park at opening and ride the popular rides first before it gets busy routine has been affected dramtically by FP+ when the parks are busy.

....just an added thought ...I wonder if the standby line waits have also increased due to the new GAC/ DAS policy ...and those that were only deemed to have 'mobility issues' ..now have to frequent those lines too?

LVT
12-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Testing phase now: some love it/many do not.
My friend just got back. 12 people over the holiday. They loved it.
Each day choose 1 park. 3 passes (I think it is 1 big ticket and 2 lesser rides).
May link tickets 60days ahead on MyDisneyExperience in order to do this,

The new fast passes can be gotten on- line with some smart phone app?
OR : there are kiosks in the parks, not near the ride it self, but more likely centrally located. ( I see this helping for new families, they can make choices from what is available, without the children standing in front of the ride and wishing to be on it NOW)
The old fastpass system is supposed to be removed.:confused: