PDA

View Full Version : MagicBands made of rubber?

Gator
12-06-2013, 01:41 PM
I was reading an article printed from the Sentinel on this site. It mentioned that the MagicBands were made of rubber. Is that true? I have a wife and daughter who have latex allergies and wouldn't be able to wear anything rubber/latex. If the answer is yes, what does Disney have to remedy this problem?

DizneyFreak2002
12-06-2013, 01:45 PM
I was reading an article printed from the Sentinel on this site. It mentioned that the MagicBands were made of rubber. Is that true? I have a wife and daughter who have latex allergies and wouldn't be able to wear anything rubber/latex. If the answer is yes, what does Disney have to remedy this problem?

I'm not sure they are made of rubber or not... They do feel like rubber... If you cannot wear these bands due to allergies, then you can buy a band cover, make your own, or request the KTTW cards instead of Magic Bands... you'll be opting out of the band options though...

VWL Mom
12-06-2013, 01:50 PM
According to the Disney Mom's Panel (http://disneyworldforum.disney.go.com/questions.aspx?sort=&page=&qid=220512&pid=80&cid=81) the bands are a flexible rubber like hypoallergenic non-latex material.

Polynesian Dweller
12-06-2013, 01:54 PM
They are NOT RUBBER. They are hypo-allergenic (Disney was aware of the issue obviously), heat resistant, and water proof and non-latex. There is no problem that has to be resolved. Some sources describe them as neoprene which is sometimes called synthetic rubber but it is actually neither rubber nor latex and not known to cause allergic reactions.

Capt_redshirt
12-06-2013, 03:59 PM
I can concur i have a mild skin irritation due to latex based rubber and my arm did not show a sign of a reaction

mechanic
12-06-2013, 05:00 PM
OR just keep it in your pocket.
I don't like wearing bands so mine will be in my pocket when not in use.

Mickey'sGirl
12-06-2013, 07:48 PM
I am allergic to latex, and visiting wdw in 10 days. I'll report back on my reaction (or lack thereof) to ease your mind for sure. It is my understanding that the bands are hypo-allergenic, so I do not anticipate any issues.

WiltonJohn
12-07-2013, 12:37 PM
My wife, a nurse, has a reasonably sever latex allergy. No issues with 5 days of MagicBand.

best,

............john

LVT
12-07-2013, 12:53 PM
I thought they were silicone, like the modern spatulas.

Polynesian Dweller
12-07-2013, 04:41 PM
My wife, a nurse, has a reasonably sever latex allergy. No issues with 5 days of MagicBand.

best,

............john

Which makes sense. If they weren't hypoallergenic we'd be hearing lots of negative reports given the thousands who've worn them.

I thought they were silicone, like the modern spatulas.

Nope, that would feel different. They are neoprene.

WiltonJohn
12-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Which makes sense. If they weren't hypoallergenic we'd be hearing lots of negative reports given the thousands who've worn them.

Since that reaction can even get to anaphalactic shock for some folks....... they'd be dealing with lawsuits, let alone negative reports. :)

best,

...............john

Gator
12-09-2013, 12:36 PM
As long as it's not nitrile, because she's allergic to that as well. Maybe over the next year, there will be some cool ideas or Pinterest or something just in case.

AndrewJackson
12-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Soylent Green is made of people!