PDA

View Full Version : Candlelight Processional Changes, Terrible

JROriole8Fan
12-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Last night we went to the Candlelight Processional at EPCOT, with NPH as the guest narrator. It was our first and likely last time, unless changes are reversed. If you do not know, the script has changed. It has to be 10-15 minutes shorter. It ends with the Hallelujah Chorus. They dropped "Do You Hear What I Hear" and "The Wonderful World of Christmas". More importantly they dropped "Prince of Peace" or "One Solitary Life" which is the most profound and prolific part of the entire processional. Has anyone been there? Do you agree? What are your thoughts?

Melanie
12-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Wow! That's too bad. They cut out 3 songs?

faline
12-03-2013, 09:22 AM
That really is too bad - I wonder if they did that so folks could also make it to Illuminations as they dinner package includes a preferred viewing location for Illuminations?

Ms. Mode
12-03-2013, 09:35 AM
We are going for the first time ever in a couple of weeks so I wouldn't know they had changed the program...that's to bad.

I have been looking forward to this show for years! I hope they didn't change it because it was too "faith" based...if you know what I mean.

Melanie
12-03-2013, 09:37 AM
And Do You Hear What I Hear? is my favorite carol. :(

Hammer
12-03-2013, 09:59 AM
I hope they didn't change it because it was too "faith" based...if you know what I mean.

I don't think that is likely as they still sing the Hallelujah Chorus.

That really is too bad - I wonder if they did that so folks could also make it to Illuminations as they dinner package includes a preferred viewing location for Illuminations?

I think this is likely the reason for the change.

Strmchsr
12-03-2013, 10:01 AM
I hope they didn't change it because it was too "faith" based...if you know what I mean.

No, it wasn't for that reason. The whole thing is based around the reading of the Gospel and you can't be more "faith"-oriented than that. It was done for time reasons. They used to only do 2 shows, now it's 3 to accommodate more people and they want to make sure they're done in enough time before Illuminations. The cuts were really because of the demand for the shows and the need to turn things over quicker to get more people in.

Melanie
12-03-2013, 10:05 AM
No, it wasn't for that reason. The whole thing is based around the reading of the Gospel and you can't be more "faith"-oriented than that. It was done for time reasons. They used to only do 2 shows, now it's 3 to accommodate more people and they want to make sure they're done in enough time before Illuminations. The cuts were really because of the demand for the shows and the need to turn things over quicker to get more people in.

That's a shame. To be honest, I've never had an issue getting a package or having seating at the CP. It just requires a bit of planning and lining up early, which for something like this, I don't mind doing. Now the show is shorter, and Disney is making more money selling more packages. sigh

JROriole8Fan
12-03-2013, 11:18 AM
go to the booth behind the arena and register your displeasure. they are taking comments and hearing from a lot of people. More is better

Tekneek
12-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Sounds like quantity over quality. An unfortunate decision. We noticed several things seeming to have been shortened when we were at WDW a month ago. It must be the new way. Charge more, show less, and pretend like everything is better.

We never attended this event, but I remember hearing it and seeing it from a distance about 9 years ago (I think). It seemed like a fairly long show, but the crowds didn't seem to mind the length.

ThanxForNoticin
12-03-2013, 12:31 PM
That show is such a tradition and has become an important part of the Christmas season for so many of us that travel to Disney during this time of the year. The show is truly inspirational and it will be a disappointment if they are changing it / shortening it this much. We've already been enjoying the recorded CD this season - the music is amazing. Unfortunately, it now sounds like the CD is the only way we'll get to hear parts of the original program.....

Gator
12-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I'll admit that we always seemed rushed to get out fast enough to grab a medicore spot for Illuminations. However, making shorter won't make things better. It just means that thousand people watching the final show will get out a little early and grab a bunch of Illuminations spots like they would have before. I don't see a reason to shorten it unless the choirs and their directors were complaining of too much.

mechanic
12-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Is this first year for 3 show schedule?
It was two shows last time we went but thT was several years ago.
I had read that people were lining.up 2-3 hours ahead. Maybe this will help.

MrPeetrie
12-03-2013, 07:10 PM
I had only gone once, years ago. I thought it was beautiful. One Solitary Life moved me to tears. If they removed that for time constraints that so they could squeeze in more "revenue" then they really miss the point of the Candlelight Processional! Unforgivable.

joanna71985
12-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Is this first year for 3 show schedule?
It was two shows last time we went but thT was several years ago.
I had read that people were lining.up 2-3 hours ahead. Maybe this will help.

No. They've been doing 3 shows for years