PDA

View Full Version : Feeling helpless

disney obsessed
12-01-2013, 08:48 PM
As many know, we have been told that my mom has about a month to live. I have never felt so helpless in my life. I try to figure out what she needs but since she is having such a difficult time talking, i am frequently stumped. I try to move her position, offer food or drink, see if I can figure out if she is in pain....its like having a newborn. I felt much more competent with a newborn. Even my first.
Today she had a period of unresponsiveness for 3-5 min with very faint vitals. Then she was back to status quo.
I pray god is merciful and does not allow her to suffer for to long. Also, I find that I am going through the motions to just get things done and go through the day. When I let myself actually think about what is happening it is just too much to comprehend.

Thank you for listening.

cer
12-01-2013, 09:57 PM
I am so sorry. Praying comfort and peace for both of you.

disneymom15
12-01-2013, 10:11 PM
So sorry for you and your family. You will be in my thoughts.

dobby2010
12-01-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm so sorry. My prayers will be with you and your family.

Disney4us2
12-01-2013, 11:35 PM
I am so sorry you have to go through this process. It is not easy on anyone involved.

I felt the same way with my father, My friend wanted to bring him something. He didn't need any material items. I suggested a milkshake from McDonalds. OMG he loved it and wouldn't let go of the cup until it was empty. He had not been eating and he downed that shake. It really brought him a lot of joy with just days until the end. I brought him a few more shakes as well.

Just being there is a really big way to feel not so helpless. I was also able to say what needed to be said prior to his departure and that gave me comfort.

I wish you and your family with comfort and prayers during your mom's journey. It is heartbreaking and I don't wish what I went through on anyone. PM me if you need. :hug::pixie::pixie:

Christine
12-01-2013, 11:41 PM
I am so sorry! Lifting you both up in prayer.

stephicakes
12-02-2013, 05:54 AM
So sorry that you are going through this time. :( I just lost my mom in October due to ovarian cancer and her last 4 days were spent in hospice so I know exactly how you feel. The only advice I can give is to just go with your instincts - I'm sure you are doing better than you think when it comes to her care. All you can do is make her comfortable (my mom seemed to like feeling secure with pillows around her, something soft like sheepskin under her feet..). My sisters and I were her main caregivers at the end, and having family around seemed to bring her a lot of peace and reassurance. Your mom can still hear you and she knows you are there. As hard as it is, you will never regret this time with her. It is a precious, precious time. Hang in there and remember to take care of yourself too...

Your family is in my prayers,
steph

deedeebee
12-02-2013, 06:54 AM
So sorry for you and your family.

Melanie
12-02-2013, 07:04 AM
So very, very sorry to hear this. :(

VWL Mom
12-02-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm so sorry you're going through this, it is one of the worst feelings in the world. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-02-2013, 08:50 AM
I am so sorry. Sending prayers and warm thoughts your way.

I agree with those who say you're making more difference than you know. Just the sound of your voice will be comforting, and knowing she isn't alone is such a gift to your mother.

Adding some :pixie:!

faline
12-02-2013, 09:00 AM
I think your greatest gift is to be there for your mother - nothing else matters. I'm sorry you are going through this.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Bless you, I will be praying for you

emerzmom
12-10-2013, 04:59 PM
What a difficult thing for her and your family. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.
:tink:
Julie

pianobabe
12-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Praying for you all.

minnie04
12-12-2013, 11:20 AM
You are both in my prayers. :pixie: as someone mentioned she knows you are there, just keep talking to her. I'm sure she feels comfort from your voice..

disney obsessed
12-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Mom passed away last week. She is finally at peace.

Dsnygirl
12-16-2013, 08:46 AM
I am so sorry to hear that, I hope you are doing okay, and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Yes, you are right, she is at peace, and this is the time of year to be thankful for that knowledge. Hoping you & your family can have a blessed holiday!

TinkerbellT421
12-30-2013, 05:51 PM
I have been away from these boards for a while with my Mom having a lot of health issues since June.

I am so sorry to hear this, I hope you and your family are okay. Sending you pixie dust to help you through this difficult time. I know how you must feel as that was how it was with my father in the end. Feel free to inbox me if you ever need to talk. I know talking with friends and family is what helped me through the tough bouts.