PDA

View Full Version : Finally Moving...to Orlando!

beksy
11-29-2013, 04:23 PM
After some tough times I have decided that it's time for a major life change. After debating on several areas of the country I decided to go with Florida (and I think I've further narrowed that down to the Orlando area). I've only lived away from home twice in my life...once in VA and then for school in WV. This will be a big undertaking...new job, new apartment, very different living environment. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for an apartment in a safe area not to far away from restaurants, shopping, etc. but not extremely pricey either. Looking at all the options is pretty overwhelming although I've seen some apartment communities that look nice. So please help me with any insight to living in this area. :thumbsup:

faline
11-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Can't help with any advice but I do wish you well as you enter a new phase of your life!

Disney4us2
11-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Good luck with your upcoming move. My DD and I just did that in August. We settled in Winter Haven which is about 40 miles south of WDW. Now looking to move a bit closer when our lease is up.

Let me know if there is any way I can help you.

MNNHFLTX
12-02-2013, 02:15 PM
I lived in Orlando for many years, then on the east coast of Florida. Although it's continued to grow tremendously since then, here are my recommendations on areas to look at and avoid.

Areas to avoid in Orlando--the downtown area is fine, but not the nicest immediately west and south of downtown. The Orange Blossom Trail corridor is pretty seedy too, as well as the Pine Hills area. My favorite areas in Orlando are Winter Park (of course--gorgeous area), Loch Haven, Lake Nona, Lake Mary, Windermere, Longwood, Altamonte Springs (certain neighborhoods there anyway), Baldwin Park and College Park (really like that area--lots of older, quaint homes). Oviedo has become a nice area to live and has really grown since we lived in Central Florida.

Apartments within the greater Orlando area will tend to be more expensive than those in outlying towns and suburbs (like Winter Haven, where Marci lives). If you don't mind driving a bit into Orlando, you might also want to check out Clermont. It's also fairly close to Disney World.

dnickels
12-02-2013, 02:28 PM
I definitely agree with the nice areas Beth mentioned but where will you be working?

Since there are nice areas and not-so-nice areas on pretty much every-side of Orlando I'd focus on finding a job first, and then base your living situation on that. If you get a job on the north side of downtown you wouldn't want to be 40 miles to the south and vice versa.