PDA

View Full Version : If you could only pick one Signature restaurant?

Jen1984
11-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi all!

We have finally booked our first adult only trip, and will be going to stay in POFQ for 10 nights in March. As there are only the two of us, we're not going to be on the DDP, and won't be booking many meals. In fact- only 2! We've agreed on Ohana for our last night, as we loved it so much last trip, and will pick one signature for our first full day there. The rest of the time we're planning on using quick service, dining off-site as we have a car, and if we are able to, see which Table Services are available that day- we have no 'must do's' on this trip as no children. This goes against all my instincts, as I normally plan every day and every meal, but I have been asked to just go with the flow this time!:confused:

Anyway, if you could only dine in one signature what would it be? We'd like somewhere quite romantic, and obviously with decent food. I haven't eaten in any signatures yet, and we're willing to try anywhere!

mrte62
11-27-2013, 06:57 PM
DW and I have had two trips (so far) by ourselves - you will enjoy WDW in a whole new way!

Our favorite is the California Grill. Try for an ADR at 8:30 pm or 8:45 pm so you can see the fireworks at the MK.

SBETigg
11-27-2013, 08:40 PM
I like California Grill because of the views along with the food, but it's not really quiet unless you're in the wine room and then your views are on the Bay Lake side.

Victoria and Albert's is expensive, but also more quiet and exclusive (no children under 10) and probably the best overall choice. If that is cost-prohibitive, I really like Citricos. Quieter, romantic, Mediterranean influenced food.

amorillo
11-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Our family has only tried three Signature restaurants so far:

-Le Cellier (still don't really think of this a as signature restaurant)

-Citricos

-California Grill

Out of those I'd opt for California Grill for the view alone. We enjoyed our meals at all three restaurants and hope to try a couple more signature restaurants on our next trip.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
11-29-2013, 02:30 AM
Jiko is very good!

Ms. Mode
11-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Sorry, I'm probably not going to be much help here; but my DH and I went last October on our first "us only" trip and just had the most wonderful time! We had NO plans going in...talk about different! It was just wonderful...so much so we are planning our 25th anniversary trip for next November!

Having said that, we love Brown Derby and Le Cellier...but I would probably go with something we Haven't tied...California Grill, Jiko or Saana.

Have fun..NOT planning :)

TheDuckRocks
11-29-2013, 02:54 PM
My pick would be Narcoosee's and DH would choose Yachtsman's Steakhouse.

SBETigg
11-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Almost forgot to mention Monsieur Paul. Yes, it's in a park (Epcot) and I'm not sure if it's quite the same as it was as Bistro de Paris, but it has consistently been one of the more intimate, quiet places at WDW for us, with excellent food (traditional French) and service. Most families with children opt for the less expensive Chefs de France downstairs.

slottedpig
11-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Another vote for Citricos. Quiet, beautiful, food and service are excellent. Go early and have a drink at Mizners.

Dulcee
11-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Hands down no questions asked Jikos

Jen1984
12-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Sorry, I'm probably not going to be much help here; but my DH and I went last October on our first "us only" trip and just had the most wonderful time! We had NO plans going in...talk about different! It was just wonderful...so much so we are planning our 25th anniversary trip for next November!

Having said that, we love Brown Derby and Le Cellier...but I would probably go with something we Haven't tied...California Grill, Jiko or Saana.

Have fun..NOT planning :)

That's actually very helpful. I'm glad to see that the no plans thing has worked for someone! We literally have nothing planned, apart from Ohana as our 'goodbye'. How did you manage for meals etc? I guess you were there for food & wine which must have helped!

I think everybody seems in agreement that California Grill will be nice, so I think I'm going to try for there. Thanks so much for all the advice everybody!

Jen1984
12-01-2013, 05:19 AM
Or maybe Jiko :confused:

SBETigg
12-01-2013, 01:15 PM
I think California Grill is a better total experience than Jiko, and I wasn't overly impressed with Jiko when I was there. It's good, but it didn't blow me away.

I also agree with keeping things more spontaneous. I've taken a few trips with just my husband and it's always so nice to just do what we want, when we want. You can get last-minute ADRs or walk up at most places when it's just the two of you, but 'Ohana and California Grill are ADRs I would make in advance.

SurferStitch
12-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Narcoossee's is our favorite!!

Jen1984
12-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks everyone for all the advise!

Ohana and California Grill all booked, so hopefully they'll be great- will just have to plan another trip afterwards to get to go to all these other restaurants! :plot:

So looking forward to being spontaneous this trip- if we don't get a walk up/ day of reservation at the restaurant we normally like, hey, we can just try somewhere we wouldn't usually go to, or if that fails grab a quick service!

Thanks again for all the fantastic advise as usual!

ginny57
12-03-2013, 09:58 AM
I took advantage of the resort concierge on many an occasion when winging it for dinner. They could check quickly for open tables and set me up if anything struck my fancy.

Have a wonderful time!!

RavsRuleDisney!
12-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Cali, Jiko or Le Cellier....can't go wrong

big blue and hairy
12-10-2013, 10:08 PM
California Grill is number one, but Citrico's is also very nice.

:sulley:

mdricks
12-12-2013, 01:43 PM
My new best super-good favorite is BlueZoo over at Dolphin. The Dancing Fish is equisite and the wine list is not obscene.

If it must be "Disney" Cali Grill during wishies is a perfect just-us destination. It is also the only place I know of on prperty where you can get a bottle of Turley Zinfindel, worth the trip by itself.

:number1:

Jen1984
12-15-2013, 05:45 PM
My new best super-good favorite is BlueZoo over at Dolphin. The Dancing Fish is equisite and the wine list is not obscene.

If it must be "Disney" Cali Grill during wishies is a perfect just-us destination. It is also the only place I know of on prperty where you can get a bottle of Turley Zinfindel, worth the trip by itself.

Oh it looks lovely! Hmmm I may need to add another meal to our plans! Had never even thought about here, so thank you! Any idea how quickly you need to book?

SBETigg
12-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Oh it looks lovely! Hmmm I may need to add another meal to our plans! Had never even thought about here, so thank you! Any idea how quickly you need to book?

BlueZoo is usually pretty open. You can usually get in on the week of your stay. But not all reviews are quite as glowing. We were in the Dolphin with a conference group for a week and not one person of the group who tried it was pleased with it (over 20 people). Not sure if it was due to the restaurant trying to handle a conference crowd, but conference crowds are pretty common at the Dolphin. I still haven't tried BlueZoo, but I wouldn't let mixed reviews stop me. I might try it in April when I go back (same conference).

mdricks
12-17-2013, 03:41 PM
For what it’s worth I come from a restaurant family and have spent many an hour (in a past life) waiting tables and stirring pots.

We cancelled out reservations the second night of our trip and ate at Bluezoo again.

If might have its detractors but the nights I went it was top shelf.

MrPeetrie
12-25-2013, 04:27 PM
We've been fortunate enough to enjoy dinners at most places mentioned so far (with the exception of Jiko's. we haven't eaten there yet, but plan to). For an intimate dinner for two, I'd recommend Bistro de Paris, but truthfully I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I'm curious. I haven't seen Flying Fish mentioned yet. Is it not an upper-tier restaurant? (We haven't eaten there, either.) is it any good?

javamama
01-01-2014, 08:41 PM
We've eaten at several, but hands down California Grill was our favorite!

LandFan
01-03-2014, 10:06 PM
We love Flying Fish!! We also like Jiko a lot.
Strangely we are not fans of Cali Grill...

spoiledraf
01-04-2014, 05:49 PM
We love Narcoosses. Classy. Overlooks the water and you get a view of Wishes if you time it right. And the food is great as well! Always a must do for us.

Fastpasssteve
01-11-2014, 02:11 AM
I love Jiko and The Artist's Point, but I would be heartbroken if there wasn't a meal at California Grill on the schedule for each and every trip to WDW.

Lovely, elegant, delicious, romantic, and memorable...not to mention a truly unique view of the MK Fireworks.