PDA

View Full Version : I pledge!!

minnie04
11-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Not to go out shopping until after mid-night on Thanksgiving. I think it is so wrong for the stores to be open at 6:00pm on Thursday... I feel for all the families that have to rush their meals to get to work, so other people can trash the stores and leave the clean up to the employees that should have been off spending the day/night with loved ones...

Questions agree or disagree???? (No one is judging)

I think the best part of "Black Friday" was waiting until the kids were asleep and sneaking out at 4 or 5 am to get to the stores. My SIL and I would go stand in long lines waiting for the doors to open, then grab the toys our kids wanted.. we have so many fun memories of doing this, but now its just like any other day.except people are skipping family time to be out shopping as early as 6:00pm...

BrerGnat
11-27-2013, 10:43 AM
My Christmas shopping is done. I don't care that much about getting a deal that I would subject myself to Black Friday madness. The kids and I will be doing something fun on Friday.

PopPhan
11-27-2013, 10:59 AM
A friend of mine, who works for a plant farm in Florida, has to work Thanksgiving day because the non-American workers would rather have Black Friday off. Of course, the owner/operators of this farm are exempt from this.....

1DisneyNut
11-27-2013, 11:08 AM
I definitely will not be going on Greedy Thursday. I very rarely go on Black Friday either. I always find just as good or better prices at other times during the shopping season. I don't have to go battle the masses. Every once in a while there will be something I have been holding out to buy for myself such as a computer or other electronic device and someone will have a great price for it on Black Friday so I run, grab it and head back home. When that comes up, I am usually in the store and back out within 15 minutes.

SBETigg
11-27-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't even do Black Friday. I hate the idea of shopping so soon after Thanksgiving. I worked retail for enough years that I vowed to never face those crowds again. Most of my shopping is done online these days, and I'm much happier for it.

AgentC
11-27-2013, 12:08 PM
I used to do Black Friday with my mom. It was fun. We'd hit a few stores and do breakfast but now with the increasing crowds and Thanksgiving Day openings I don't enjoy it like I used too.

I won't go out on Thanksgiving. I'll probably go out at some point on Friday but I doubt it will be at 5 am.

I do more and more of my shopping online every year.

princessgirls
11-27-2013, 12:30 PM
I WILL NOT SHOP ON THANKSGIVING!!!!

I'm not a Black Friday kind of gal either....The deals can't be that good to make me want to go out in that kind of chaos!!
I will be sleeping in Friday! Whoohooo!

Julie:mickey:

Just an FYI...Best Black Friday ever... November of 1996...Fred and I got married!!! :cloud9:

Kenny1113
11-27-2013, 12:57 PM
I agree I do not like this whole early Black Friday into thanksgiving. I do not typically shop on Black Friday-especially not the crazy stores. I have gone out for a few items, but only to stores with out the masses of people. So no electronic stores or toys r us for me. I agree with others who have posted, no deal is worth that mess. I would rather pay $50/$100 more (rarely is the deal that good) than fight crowds. Besides with cyber Monday I can usually get same deals from home! :thumbsup:

But my favorite is small business Saturday which is hard to do in this city. :(

Disney4us2
11-27-2013, 01:34 PM
I will not be shopping on Thanksgiving, even if I am out of the hospital. I am done shopping anyway.

minnie04
11-27-2013, 01:39 PM
But my favorite is small business Saturday which is hard to do in this city. :(

It's funny that you say that, because this morning when I heard that on the radio. I thought what a great idea. Only problem is I don't know of any small business close by. I was trying to think of the old Ma' and Pop stores they used to have in south FL. (Redlands area), but couldn't think of any that are still around.... THANKS WAL-MART!!!!! :(

Zippy 1
11-27-2013, 10:02 PM
I also will not be shopping on Thanksgiving day. It is a day to give thanks not stock up on more material junk we just don't need. I know a lot of people disagree with my opion but it is just that my opion. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Remember all you have to be thankful for :mickey:

Tiggerlovr9000
11-28-2013, 02:57 PM
I won't be shopping either. Don't have any gifts to buy. For christmas this year we are paying one of each of our children's bills. And as a gift to us, a 3 day trip for the family to see wicked the musical and family time..

BrerGnat
11-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I won't be shopping either. Don't have any gifts to buy. For christmas this year we are paying one of each of our children's bills. And as a gift to us, a 3 day trip for the family to see wicked the musical and family time..

What a wonderful idea!

Tiggerlovr9000
11-28-2013, 08:24 PM
What a wonderful idea!
Thanks, I love that the 5 of us have at least one thing in common, the theatre.

TheVBs
11-28-2013, 08:32 PM
OMG. I would rather eat glass than set foot in a store after Thanksgiving. And no way would I shop on Thanksgiving either. I'm mostly done and got the bulk of it online.

Kenny1113
11-30-2013, 09:22 AM
It's funny that you say that, because this morning when I heard that on the radio. I thought what a great idea. Only problem is I don't know of any small business close by. I was trying to think of the old Ma' and Pop stores they used to have in south FL. (Redlands area), but couldn't think of any that are still around.... THANKS WAL-MART!!!!! :(

Last year we shopped at a bike shop.Not sure where we will hit this year... :(

Enjoy! I love Wicked! :)

tinkwest
11-30-2013, 11:37 AM

That sounds great. I've been trying to do something like that for years but DH gets sad thinking about no presents under the tree.

I don't like shopping on a normal day so Black Friday is something I've never had a desire to participate in. The fact that its starts earlier and earlier each year is ridiculous, imo. Soon it will be billed as "Pre-Thanksgiving Madness" starting on Wednesday. :cart: :spend: :shop:

BrerGnat
12-01-2013, 02:20 PM
I confess...I went shopping on Black Friday. I had to...we ran out of eggs. ;)

buzznwoodysmom
12-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I didn't go shopping on Thanksgiving or on Black Friday. I was on vacation.

I understand some people have strong feelings about hating the idea of those people having to work on Thanksgiving instead of being able to spend time with their families. But, I don't see how it's any different than those who work in the food industry. A lot of restaurants are open, and lots of people go out to eat for Thanksgiving instead of celebrating at home. Also places like Disney World and Disneyland are open on Thanksgiving, as well as many, many other vacation destinations. Those workers don't get to spend the day with their families either. Of course you never hear about those places in the media.

We vacation almost every Thanksgiving so I see tons of people every year who are working instead of being with their families so I never understood the hoopla the media makes about stores being open on Thanksgiving evening. They aren't the only people who have to work a holiday. Just my opinion.

LVT
12-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Hospital employee. Of course we work holidays.
That does not make me resent these stores less.