PDA

View Full Version : 'OHana Bread Pudding recipe question

VWL Mom
11-23-2013, 12:49 PM
I was thinking of making this for my boys. I could go all out and start by baking the 'OHana breakfast bread from scratch but that's a bit ambitious with everything else I'm making for Thanksgiving. What do you think about substituting King's Hawaiian Bread for the 'OHana breakfast bread? If I compare the two the only thing that seems different is the lack of coconut.

SBETigg
11-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Why not give it a try, see how it comes out? I doubt it would be terrible, and it might actually do the trick and approximate the original. I'm thinking it won't be quite the same, but maybe close enough. Good luck!

BrerGnat
11-23-2013, 06:02 PM
The recipe for the bread pudding I have from the Delicious Disney cookbook has both coconut and pineapple in it. They actually recommend using Challah. You need a sturdy egg bread. King's Hawaiian is a bit too light and fluffy.

BrerGnat
11-23-2013, 06:04 PM
You can also use coconut milk in place of some of the milk in the recipe.

VWL Mom
11-23-2013, 06:59 PM
The recipe for the bread pudding I have from the Delicious Disney cookbook has both coconut and pineapple in it. They actually recommend using Challah. You need a sturdy egg bread. King's Hawaiian is a bit too light and fluffy.

Thanks Natalie. I found that one online now. Definitely simplifies things.

TheDuckRocks
11-25-2013, 09:03 AM
I have used Hawaiian Sweet Bread many times for bread pudding and it turns out wonderful. I used a brand other than King's though. I'm having a senior moment right now and can't remember the brand for the life of me. I also have had great results using the Italian bread with raisins, that comes in a box, at around Christmas time or from Italian delis or restaurants year round. I saw them available at my local supermarket just last week. Don't forget to let the bread and custard mixture set for a half hour or so before baking. If you don't the custard part just kind of floats on top.

VWL Mom
11-25-2013, 04:47 PM
I also have had great results using the Italian bread with raisins, that comes in a box, at around Christmas time or from Italian delis or restaurants year round.

Panettone bread pudding sounds wonderful. May have to make that for Christmas with a rum raison sauce, yum!

SBETigg
11-25-2013, 09:23 PM
The 'Ohana bread pudding always strikes me as very light and non traditional, which suggests to me that a less dense, more non-traditional bread than normal bread pudding breads might work well and I still think I would give a less-tradtional bread a try, like the Hawaiian bread over a crusty challah. The thing that my husband (Not a bread pudding fan like me) loves about
'Ohana's bread pudding is that it isn't as dense and crusty as a traditional bread pudding. I think this one would actually take some trial and error.

VWL Mom
11-26-2013, 06:24 AM
I think this one would actually take some trial and error.

I agree, so it has been removed from our Thanksgiving menu. I told DS I would do it when I had the time to make the 'OHana Breakfast Bread from scratch. Going with Pumpkin Cheesecake with a biscotti crust instead, this is something I can make in my sleep and is always a favorite.

Thanks everyone!