PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass+ kills family/friend meetings

Gator
11-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Another post about fastpass+ led me to this thought. When I go to WDW, from time to time, I have chance meetings with friends. I usually don't know about it until the week before we leave for the trip, or maybe no even until the day before. So what happens when we do meet up? Let's say I have a fastpass+ to hit Space Mt at 11am, but by friends don't have one. Furthermore, because of fastpass+, there are no fastpasses until 6pm that evening. Do I then dump my family's desire to ride SM, or do I dump my friends?

It's just another problem with the system. Seems like Disney is intent on making us do things that none of us want really want to do. Sounds familiar these days.

DizneyFreak2002
11-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Another post about fastpass+ led me to this thought. When I go to WDW, from time to time, I have chance meetings with friends. I usually don't know about it until the week before we leave for the trip, or maybe no even until the day before. So what happens when we do meet up? Let's say I have a fastpass+ to hit Space Mt at 11am, but by friends don't have one. Furthermore, because of fastpass+, there are no fastpasses until 6pm that evening. Do I then dump my family's desire to ride SM, or do I dump my friends?

It's just another problem with the system. Seems like Disney is intent on making us do things that none of us want really want to do. Sounds familiar these days.

You dump your friends... I had the same issue in October... I had FP+ booked for three attractions in DAK, my friends decided to come join us that that... While we FP'd the attractions, they skipped them and waited for us to come off the ride...

Disney is intent on controlling every minute of your vacation... they don't want you in control cause, GASP, you may leave property to enjoy better and newer things elsewhere instead of the same cobweb infested old stuff...

spoiledraf
11-23-2013, 08:44 AM
I keep seeing complaints by the same people about Disney. If you hate it so bad, stop going! Sheesh!!!

seanyred
11-23-2013, 10:58 AM
But under the old fastpass system this could happen as well. What if you are early risers and get to the park before your friends then you will have fastpasses that they won't be able to utilize either.

I do agree that there are parts of this system that create new problems that shouldn't be problems. But that's a reality when there is a technology up grade (just read about Chicago's CTA fare card system, Ventra. It's more screwed up than MyMagic+).

I just hope that as time goes on there is more flexibility in the new system after they get past the testing phase. Again I have a hard time passing final judgement since I won't be back to WDW until October 2014. At that point I think I will have a good old vs. new comparison since we are going to DL in a few weeks.

Dulcee
11-23-2013, 11:01 AM
As others have said how is this different then you holding a regular fast pass?

If its for something that actually is hard to get on without a fast pass, say toy story mania and you managed to get one in the AM, ran into friends and now none are left for the day... same predicament as before.

You could *gasp* wait in line with your friends and have a pleasant conversation whilst waiting.

Tiggerlovr9000
11-23-2013, 01:39 PM
I keep seeing complaints by the same people about Disney. If you hate it so bad, stop going! Sheesh!!!

Not sure if it's hate just frustration. I love disney but no business is perfect. Luckily the pros always out weigh the cons..:mickey: because just being there makes me euphoric.

WiltonJohn
11-23-2013, 03:39 PM
You could *gasp* wait in line with your friends and have a pleasant conversation whilst waiting.

Amen.

best,

................john

Gator
11-25-2013, 03:35 PM
As others have said how is this different then you holding a regular fast pass?

If its for something that actually is hard to get on without a fast pass, say toy story mania and you managed to get one in the AM, ran into friends and now none are left for the day... same predicament as before.

Guess you guys aren't getting it. On several different occasions, I've met friends at WDW from NJ, TENN, and FL. We meet at the gates in the morning and hang out for the day. If I have fastpasses that I booked two months ago, I have to dump them to hang with them. In the past, we'd all go to a fastpass station and get one for the same ride. Now with Fastpass-minus, all those passes will be gone by noon. So I can get my kids through a 1 hour line for Soarin' and other long lines, or lose are passes. It's just another complication that doesn't need to happen. Dump plus.

dnickels
11-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Guess you guys aren't getting it. On several different occasions, I've met friends at WDW from NJ, TENN, and FL. We meet at the gates in the morning and hang out for the day. If I have fastpasses that I booked two months ago, I have to dump them to hang with them. In the past, we'd all go to a fastpass station and get one for the same ride. Now with Fastpass-minus, all those passes will be gone by noon. So I can get my kids through a 1 hour line for Soarin' and other long lines, or lose are passes. It's just another complication that doesn't need to happen. Dump plus.

I understood and agree but just hadn't responded. :) I do the same thing, when friends are in town I'll sometimes meet them over there for a few hours. The most recent time for that my friends were on the FP+ system and so we met but I couldn't get FP return times to match the ones they booked weeks early so we couldn't do any headliner attractions together.

Yeah of course we could all get in the standby line and wait 60 minutes but that defeats the whole purpose of Fastpass both for them and for me.

Mousemates
11-28-2013, 01:13 AM

I won't easily fit into the "complaints by the same people category" (check my posts from way back and you will even see me referred to as a "fanboy" from time to time--maybe even by some of the folks you have in mind).

But in my mind the new fastpass+ system (as it now exists and is proposed to ultimately work) is a slow moving train wreck that is worthy of complaints and lots of them. It completely stifles the ability to not have to micro manage your trip 90 days out and leaves little room for either spontaneity or even a washout day due to rain.

Don't forget that many of us actually go on vacation to get away from tight scheduling and thus see little to be gained from the new system...other than Disney being able to track us more efficiently and improve their ability to craftily market their products to us on a more individual basis.

And while some people on the site don't want to read anything but pixie dust laced accolades about how wonderful everything is at disney... and then casually invite folks who see problems to stop going...remember that most of the people on here who complain do so out of a passion for WDW...often times because they want to see it return to a very special place they remember from their childhood...a place that once truly had no genuine competition in the theme park world.

And finally if you know who the folks are who tend to write less than glowing comments about WDW or who simply say things in a way that irritates you...a very easy remedy to the frustration they appear to cause you would be to simply not read their posts anymore. There are some folks here that I read... and some that I choose to take a pass on.

However, while I don't agree with everything they say I do enjoy the discussion and find that the "complainers" often times make some very valid arguments. Sometimes they are painful, but valid nevertheless.

Just my two cents.

Tekneek
11-28-2013, 05:59 AM
...a place that once truly had no genuine competition in the theme park world.

More than that, they also used to define customer service excellence that went way beyond all industry. Disney has surrendered that leadership position, much like they have many others over the years.

Katzateer
11-28-2013, 08:26 AM
I think WDW will have to rethink the fast pass+ system. The rest of the wristband options seem they will work great but I am not happy we have to plan our rides, don't get to pick times that work for us, and only get 3 choices per day in one park. We are park hoppers and like to get more fast passes than what we are being offered. Next week I hope will go well for us. I am going to just chill and enjoy, try not to stress out and just be happy to be "home".

1DisneyNut
11-28-2013, 09:15 AM
I won't easily fit into the "complaints by the same people category" (check my posts from way back and you will even see me referred to as a "fanboy" from time to time--maybe even by some of the folks you have in mind).

But in my mind the new fastpass+ system (as it now exists and is proposed to ultimately work) is a slow moving train wreck that is worthy of complaints and lots of them. It completely stifles the ability to not have to micro manage your trip 90 days out and leaves little room for either spontaneity or even a washout day due to rain.

Don't forget that many of us actually go on vacation to get away from tight scheduling and thus see little to be gained from the new system...other than Disney being able to track us more efficiently and improve their ability to craftily market their products to us on a more individual basis.

And while some people on the site don't want to read anything but pixie dust laced accolades about how wonderful everything is at disney... and then casually invite folks who see problems to stop going...remember that most of the people on here who complain do so out of a passion for WDW...often times because they want to see it return to a very special place they remember from their childhood...a place that once truly had no genuine competition in the theme park world.

And finally if you know who the folks are who tend to write less than glowing comments about WDW or who simply say things in a way that irritates you...a very easy remedy to the frustration they appear to cause you would be to simply not read their posts anymore. There are some folks here that I read... and some that I choose to take a pass on.

However, while I don't agree with everything they say I do enjoy the discussion and find that the "complainers" often times make some very valid arguments. Sometimes they are painful, but valid nevertheless.

Just my two cents.

More than that, they also used to define customer service excellence that went way beyond all industry. Disney has surrendered that leadership position, much like they have many others over the years.

These were two very good posts. I will admit, I am in the complainer category for the last several years. Your posts describe my position perfectly.

I remember back when I would go to WDW, spend thousands and leave the place amazed and completely happy. Sometimes I would even think "I can't believe they gave me all of that for that amount of money....I just don't see how they pull it all off." I am sure there are many of you that know the exact feeling.

However, I now almost dread going. I can't help myself because I have always liked the place so much and have so many memories but it has really became a chore to plan and go and I leave the place feeling like all they wanted was to take me for everything they could. Instead of them trying to dazzle me and make me hungry for more, they just want to get all they can as quickly as possible. It is complete pole reversal from before.

There have been things I have complained about but learned to deal with such as the ADR's for dining. I just resigned myself to the fact that I will probably never eat in most of the TS restaurants again because I simply will not make ADR's months ahead of time and then work my vacation around them. Besides that, we have a restaurant comparable to or better than any restaurant onsite within an hour or two of home. I don't go to WDW to eat.

Now one thing is certain, I will not deal with and will and have stopped going to WDW because of FP+. Those who keep saying "just quit going" well I have and I won't be back until they fix the mess. You may think you are cute by saying those things but when myself and the majority of the other regulars quit going, see how you like the customer service and amenities after they haven't made any profit or even worse lost money for a few years. None of us want to see that and that is why we are so passionate in our posts about our displeasure lately.

MargaretMessler
11-28-2013, 01:17 PM

Just my two cents.

So happy to see someone else so accurately voice what my skepticism and dislike for the idea of FP+ is. I refuse to micromanage my vacation, however I love Disney, so it seems I have two choices : make vacation as stressful as "real life" or stop going. No like. :unsure:

Sylvia
11-28-2013, 04:36 PM
So happy to see someone else so accurately voice what my skepticism and dislike for the idea of FP+ is. I refuse to micromanage my vacation, however I love Disney, so it seems I have two choices : make vacation as stressful as "real life" or stop going. No like. :unsure:

I've been thinking that no one else thought as I do, and, lo and behold, I find out I'm not alone. I have never micromanaged my vacations; I found out in June 2012 just how fragile life can be. Due to health reasons, I can't take sole vacations anymore and I definitely can't get stressed unnecessarily. I will never let a vacation become stressful and I will continue to have restful, peaceful vacations. For us, not being able to ride a thrill ride or visit a favorite attraction will never mean that the world is coming to an end. There are so many wonderful experiences around every corner.

I've also skipped negative posts, as well as posts by those who do nothing but complain, or by those who think their opinions/likes/etc., are the only ones that count. I could say more, but I prefer to keep that to myself.

Susan A
11-28-2013, 05:24 PM
You'll have to meet up and do the attractions with shorter waifs or have a meal together. That's what we did.

TheVBs
11-28-2013, 08:10 PM
I was glad to hear that they're postponing the roll out. Hopefully that means they're taking the negative feedback into consideration.

We have not experienced FP+ yet. I'm reserving my opinion until that happens. We're looking at maybe next May.

I completely understand how the "just stop going" comments are not helpful. However, we make a point to experience different destinations every other year. We only go to Disney every 2 years. I think this makes a huge difference in our experiences. I wouldn't want the success of our vacations to hinge on only one destination. For those of you who are really unhappy with a change Disney makes, but still love it and don't want to stop going, try alternating it with other destinations. You might love the results!

azcavalier
12-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Is Disneyland also rolling out the FP+ system? If not, maybe we'll just head there next time.

faline
12-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Is Disneyland also rolling out the FP+ system? If not, maybe we'll just head there next time.

My understanding is that it has not been introduced in California as of now.

mom2morgan
12-02-2013, 04:04 PM
You'll have to meet up and do the attractions with shorter waifs or have a meal together. That's what we did.

LOL - I know this is a typo, but it made me laugh! Like Annie? or Oliver Twist?

MNNHFLTX
12-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Is Disneyland also rolling out the FP+ system? If not, maybe we'll just head there next time.No, Disneyland is Fastpass+ free and I hope it stays that way. It really is an entirely different situation as a huge part of their market are locals rather than tourists from out-of-state (or out of the country). Based on that, I don't see how a Fastpass+ system could work there.

If you haven't been to Disneyland you should go there at least once. It's a smaller, much more intimate place for a Disney fix. And you can definitely still feel the magic. :mickey:

12-02-2013, 10:22 PM
No, Disneyland is Fastpass+ free and I hope it stays that way. It really is an entirely different situation as a huge part of their market are locals rather than tourists from out-of-state (or out of the country). Based on that, I don't see how a Fastpass+ system could work there.

DLR & DCA will get the same systems as WDW, as soon as all the issues of the system are "solved", at whatever time in the future that is and at whatever cost.

Melanie
12-03-2013, 07:12 AM
DLR & DCA will get the same systems as WDW, as soon as all the issues of the system are "solved", at whatever time in the future that is and at whatever cost.

Terrible news, if accurate.

Tekneek
12-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Terrible news, if accurate.

Would seem likely that the two core "Disney Parks" would want to "unify the experience." ;)

Melanie
12-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Would seem likely that the two core "Disney Parks" would want to "unify the experience." ;)

I don't know. We'll see.

MNNHFLTX
12-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Just curious--what are you basing your information on?

MNNHFLTX
12-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Would seem likely that the two core "Disney Parks" would want to "unify the experience." ;)I find this hard to believe. The two parks have entirely different core populations and offer a different overall experience (one of the reasons it's difficult to compare DLR with WDW). If DLR expands in size and attractions to offer the same type of experience as WDW maybe I could see Fastpass+ happening there. As Mel said, time will tell.

Tekneek
12-03-2013, 09:35 AM
I was making a joke about the Disney Parks generic naming and unifying the experience, like they've tried to unify the brand. I don't know if they intend to ever do it, but they might.

Gator
12-03-2013, 01:04 PM

We just did it two weeks ago. It is vastly improved from our last trip 8 years ago. DL is definitely a shorter trip because it has only two parks, but the cost for me is also cut in half because I can drive there. At this point, my kids and wife would be just fine going to SoCal vs FL.

I'm sure that Disneyland will NEVER roll out FP-. It just doesn't make sense for a place where 10 million locals can drop in any day of the week. Shoot, it barely makes sense at WDW where people fly in from all over the world. I suppose if DL wanted to absolutely kill local ticket sales and pass sales, they can implement it. But after WDW feels the sting of Orlando locals saying "no way" to a quick trip to MK (becase all the good FP's will be gone already), DL will treat FP- like the bubonic plague.

bxrluv
12-04-2013, 01:38 AM
We are a Disney family but are finally trying US at the end of our trip this spring. If this FP is just a pia mess and we enjoy our Unlimited Express passes over there well it could be bye bye. Sorry about the lack of pixie dust in my post:cool:

joonyer
12-04-2013, 11:21 AM
We haven't visited WDW in a couple of years now, (the kids have) and we don't plan to return until all of the Magic band & FP+ wrinkles have been completely ironed out and the new systems have been proved stable and reliable. Otherwise, it's too much frustration to enjoy a vacation. We'll just go the beach instead. Waves and sand still work the way they always have. :D

12-04-2013, 12:00 PM
I find this hard to believe. The two parks have entirely different core populations and offer a different overall experience (one of the reasons it's difficult to compare DLR with WDW). If DLR expands in size and attractions to offer the same type of experience as WDW maybe I could see Fastpass+ happening there. As Mel said, time will tell.

Don't confuse FP+ with the whole program that is being carried out, MyMagic+. The entire program encompasses much more than FP+, including inventory control, ticket security, guest flow, credit card security, transportation, marketing, advertising, research, accounting, billing, park operations and a myriad of other things. That is why it will be applicable to other parks and park operations.

FP+ currently just happens to be one of the things in testing and is getting the most attention and seems to be the one thing that most people on internet forums seem most fixated on.

Just my $.02

Tekneek
12-04-2013, 01:25 PM
D
FP+ currently just happens to be one of the things in testing and is getting the most attention and seems to be the one thing that most people on internet forums seem most fixated on.

Indeed. It is also the only obvious misstep in the whole thing, as far as I am concerned. FP+, as currently designed, is worse than what it is replacing. A lot, if not all, of the other things appear to be improvements and tend to get good reviews.

buzznwoodysmom
12-04-2013, 02:22 PM

I remember back when I would go to WDW, spend thousands and leave the place amazed and completely happy. Sometimes I would even think "I can't believe they gave me all of that for that amount of money....I just don't see how they pull it all off." I am sure there are many of you that know the exact feeling.

Here is something to think about. We just returned from what I would consider not my best trip to Disney. It wasn't horrible, but definitely wasn't as magical as most of my past trips. But this was my 18th visit, perhaps the "magic"is starting to be lost on me because it's no longer new and exciting due to multiple trips, often only 6-9 months apart for past 11-12 years.

We had 8 people in our group that had never been before, 1 person who was visiting for only the second time, a few people who have only been 3 or 4 times, and my mom, who has been often, but her last trip was over a year ago. All of these people had an amazing time. My SIL, first trip ever, kept saying "how do they pull all this off". She couldn't believe how well done everything was. My BIL, also first time and thought the trip was expensive going into the trip, couldn't believe all they got for what the trip cost. They were all blown away and definitley had as magical a time as my first few trips. My FIL, whose first trip was just this past Feb., couldn't wait to go with his while family. Again, he was in awe of everything! The magic of Disney was in full force for all these newbies.

Every time I go with newbies I come to realize that maybe the magic isn't diminishing as much as some think. Perhaps it's just that some of us have tired of the same vacation. Even tho we try to do new things, stay at new resorts, and try new restaurants to keep things fresh, after this trip I have no doubt that I simply need an extended break from WDW to hopefully get the magic back. I think of some of our recent non Disney trips, and the excitement of these new places. Sometimes it's not so much the place, but our own experiences and feelings that make a vacation fun and exciting.

AgentC
12-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Here is something to think about. We just returned from what I would consider not my best trip to Disney. It wasn't horrible, but definitely wasn't as magical as most of my past trips. But this was my 18th visit, perhaps the "magic"is starting to be lost on me because it's no longer new and exciting due to multiple trips, often only 6-9 months apart for past 11-12 years.

We had 8 people in our group that had never been before, 1 person who was visiting for only the second time, a few people who have only been 3 or 4 times, and my mom, who has been often, but her last trip was over a year ago. All of these people had an amazing time. My SIL, first trip ever, kept saying "how do they pull all this off". She couldn't believe how well done everything was. My BIL, also first time and thought the trip was expensive going into the trip, couldn't believe all they got for what the trip cost. They were all blown away and definitley had as magical a time as my first few trips. My FIL, whose first trip was just this past Feb., couldn't wait to go with his while family. Again, he was in awe of everything! The magic of Disney was in full force for all these newbies.

Every time I go with newbies I come to realize that maybe the magic isn't diminishing as much as some think. Perhaps it's just that some of us have tired of the same vacation. Even tho we try to do new things, stay at new resorts, and try new restaurants to keep things fresh, after this trip I have no doubt that I simply need an extended break from WDW to hopefully get the magic back. I think of some of our recent non Disney trips, and the excitement of these new places. Sometimes it's not so much the place, but our own experiences and feelings that make a vacation fun and exciting.

I think you have a definite point. This is the first year in awhile that we may not go over to Disney during December. We are considering Busch Gardens or Legoland. Not because I'm worried about Fast Pass+ or because I don't like Disney anymore or because I am concerned with the quality. It is simply because we have gone the last 7 years at Christmas time and it's time for something new.

We generally stay onsite at least 4 times a year and do day trips. As much as we love it sometimes it does start to feel the same and you always have something to compare your current trip.

We are not going to stop going but I can see us mixing new things in more. Some of them are even Disney related. We had a great time at Vero Beach last summer and we are definitely considering a cruise and Disneyland. :)

JerseyDad
12-05-2013, 10:43 AM

....definitely some valid points regarding the possibility of, "getting tired of the same-old-same-old". However ...we've gone to WDW each year since 2004 (went twice actually in 2004) ...and until last years trip (2012) ....I was wowed and excited like a 5 yr old kid each and every time. It was last year where I noticed a change in the overall "atmosphere" within WDW. The rides / shows / things to see were not changed ...and there was always that level of anticipation related to seeing each one again ....based on the joy that was experienced each year before.

...but last year I saw a definite shift in the attitude of those I needed to interface with ...the cast members. There was a pronounced air of "corporate bureaucracy and indifference" ...and that was first noticed when we checked in last year ...I complained about the infamous "fridges" (not getting cold...etc) ...and there was just an apathetic shrug of "well they really aren't fridges" ...as their response to my expressions of concern. THAT never happened before ...I was used to CM's practically hopping over a counter to help / assist / solve ...etc ...any concern that I had. And that was gone ...and was noticeably gone this past trip in August.

....that "attitude" is not something that is only impacting one or two "bad apple" CM's ...but seems to be staining the fabric of all of them in some way. So, it's not isolated ...and therefore can only be attributed to a trickle down from upper management. If that truly is the case ...then I really cannot expect a positive swing to a point that I would go to WDW in the near future and expect to have an enjoyable experience.

....for the most part ...Disney bucked the corporate trends. They went above and beyond in all aspects of theme park and hospitality facility (resorts) operations. I think we've seen the end to that ...because, they found that it could not be sustained at that "over the top" level ...and still meet their bottom line projections. This is seen in all aspects, from the MME+, FP+, the GAC to DAS change ....because ...it's all about people (crowd) management ...and crowd MANIPULATION ....all with the eye on the cash-box. They are becoming "like the other guys" ....and, to me at least ....for the price ...and all the 'hoops" that need to be jumped through ....there is no longer an enticement to slap down some pretty substantial bucks to plan a visit.

buzznwoodysmom
12-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Jersey Dad,

You have some very valid points as well, many I agree with completely. We've been 18 times, and it's only been our last two trips, in Feb. and again just last week, that I didn't feel the "magic" as much as I did in the past.

However, I thought it was worth mentioning that new visitors are still wowed and amazed, and still absolutely have a fantastic and magical time. So the magic is still there, even tho it seems to have diminished for some of us. I think in part its because new visitors don't have anything to compare their experience to.

I too have noticed that the CMs aren't as willing to bend over backwards to please guests, but in all honesty I blame some guests for that. It got to the point where I saw people expecting unreasonable "pixie dust", lol. Not so much on this site, but on other Disney sites I was appalled at what some guests expected from Disney.

JerseyDad
12-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Jersey Dad,

You have some very valid points as well, many I agree with completely. We've been 18 times, and it's only been our last two trips, in Feb. and again just last week, that I didn't feel the "magic" as much as I did in the past.

However, I thought it was worth mentioning that new visitors are still wowed and amazed, and still absolutely have a fantastic and magical time. So the magic is still there, even tho it seems to have diminished for some of us. I think in part its because new visitors don't have anything to compare their experience to.

I too have noticed that the CMs aren't as willing to bend over backwards to please guests, but in all honesty I blame some guests for that. It got to the point where I saw people expecting unreasonable "pixie dust", lol. Not so much on this site, but on other Disney sites I was appalled at what some guests expected from Disney.

...I do wholeheartedly agree that "newbies" to WDW will be 'wowed' ...because their points of comparison would likely be all non-WDW venues that they have been to. So of course ...WDW will seem like a step-up.

...as you said ,...you've had numerous WDW trips ...and I have too ...although not as frequently as you. Still ...11 trips in 10 years ...and all seemed pretty even keeled (to my eyes) until the 2012 visit ...where it seemed that the wheels were squeaking ...and now in 2013 ...where the wheels seem ready to come flying off.

....I don't expect pixie-dust or random acts of Disney magic at every turn. What I do expect is that I get a courteous response to an inquiry that I make to a CM .....I expect a food court to be operating to it's full capacity with all stations open and food choices available regardless of the resort capacity (my money counts!!) ...and I expect at least an attempt to see if my room location request can be met.

....I went to WDW ...repeatedly ...because "I knew what to expect" ...and now ....I know that my expectations will likely not be met. For what it costs to be at WDW ...that's not acceptable to me ...and likely to many other also.

Tekneek
12-05-2013, 07:18 PM
I am sure that some of what I find wrong at WDW is because I know how good it was, how good it could be, and how they are intentionally aiming lower (while charging a lot more) now.

Think about two people going to a restaurant. One has been there a lot over the years and the other has never been. Since the last visit, the restaurant has begun to lower the service level a bit and has also tweaked the menu (as well as raising the prices). The person who has been there many times will compare the quality of the experience to all their previous visits. The other person can only compare it to where they have been before. It still might be the best restaurant in town, but the person who knew it when it was better is going to justifiably be disappointed.

There is a danger in business management when they make the conscious decision to try to be better than average for the industry, instead of aiming for excellence that goes way beyond all industry. Their whole mission becomes one of trying to keep their dots slightly ahead of the rest, instead of all the way at the other end of the chart like they once did. This is the type of management in place at a lot of businesses these days. They don't care about setting new standards, they're just trying to stay slightly ahead of the pack.

MCeee
12-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Both JerseyDad and Tekneek are right on the money. Although I must say that, where we used to be really excited to take newbies with us to WDW, we are now reluctant because of the changing scene there. We wonder now whether they would think we were a little blind in our adoration of WDW.

MCeee
12-05-2013, 07:35 PM
I meant to add... the policy, for a very long time, truly seemed to be "under promise and over deliver". Now its often (not always, but often) the condescending cold shoulder.

Gator
12-06-2013, 01:39 PM
....definitely some valid points regarding the possibility of, "getting tired of the same-old-same-old". However ...we've gone to WDW each year since 2004 (went twice actually in 2004) ...and until last years trip (2012) ....I was wowed and excited like a 5 yr old kid each and every time. It was last year where I noticed a change in the overall "atmosphere" within WDW. The rides / shows / things to see were not changed ...and there was always that level of anticipation related to seeing each one again ....based on the joy that was experienced each year before.

...but last year I saw a definite shift in the attitude of those I needed to interface with ...the cast members. There was a pronounced air of "corporate bureaucracy and indifference" ...and that was first noticed when we checked in last year ...I complained about the infamous "fridges" (not getting cold...etc) ...and there was just an apathetic shrug of "well they really aren't fridges" ...as their response to my expressions of concern. THAT never happened before ...I was used to CM's practically hopping over a counter to help / assist / solve ...etc ...any concern that I had. And that was gone ...and was noticeably gone this past trip in August.

I'm with you on this point. My last trip, I just thought that the Magic was starting to decay. I thought that it might be because it was my 7th trip in 10 years, or that it might be the general feel at POFQ which others had warned me about. But maybe there is a slight shift in the CMs. So slight that it's not obvious, but enough to tarnish the overall experience. i just don't know.

Honestly, I still think the CMs are better at WDW than they are at DL. At that resort, I constantly hear about when "their shifts are ending" or how they can't believe their stuck on carts with their "bad back".

But getting back to topic, the CMs aren't the ones trying split up get-togethers with friends/family. It's the execs. And it's at their feet I lay the blame for "magic" failures.

JerseyDad
12-06-2013, 05:12 PM
But getting back to topic, the CMs aren't the ones trying split up get-togethers with friends/family. It's the execs. And it's at their feet I lay the blame for "magic" failures.

....definitely. The problem works its way from the top ...down ...unto the "masses". It's almost to the point that ...IF ...you want to have 'Synchronized Family Magical Gatherings' ...related to FP / FP+ ....you need someone like a wedding planner to pull it off.