PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks

Scrappy2
11-15-2013, 09:54 PM
I know a lot do not like the bakery change but I sure enjoyed my Starbucks watching the parade and fireworks. The outside still looked the same with just a small gold sign hanging that said Starbucks. Did not take away from the feel of MS.

big blue and hairy
11-15-2013, 11:34 PM
I completely agree.

:sulley:

disneymom15
11-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Same here, we really liked it.

RavsRuleDisney!
11-19-2013, 12:01 PM
The DW swears by the kona coffee but says the majority of java at the World is take it or leave it so she will no doubt enjoy the Starbucks addition. I don't drink the stuff and haven't been since the addition but does not sound like much of a visual distraction from the Main Street theming. Non issue IMO.... :thumbsup:

#1donaldfan
11-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I think it's a great addition ( and addiction) and for a snack credit we have our coffee !!!!:thumbsup:

Terra
11-19-2013, 01:29 PM
I agree as well! Honestly, if I hadn't read that it was going to be a Starbucks, I would have never realized it "just passing by" on Main Street.

When I was there this past Sunday, I wanted to make it a point to see it. I have to say it took me a minute to even realize "where it was".

joonyer
11-19-2013, 04:25 PM
No, No, No! The sky really is falling! Disaster is imminent! It is the end of the WD "world" as we know it. The worst thing ever!. :down: :fit: :rant: :angry:

Don't believe me? Just go back and read the threads from this summer about the transformation of the Main Street bakery into a place that sells OMG, Starbucks, and that will have a sign on the outside that says "Starbucks" and the "mall" ification of Main Street USA (OK, I'll give you that one, since it happened years ago) and on and on. :D

And now that it's actually done, not a peep out of Chicken Little. :chick: :confused:

big blue and hairy
11-19-2013, 07:22 PM
The DW swears by the kona coffee but says the majority of java at the World is take it or leave it so she will no doubt enjoy the Starbucks addition. I don't drink the stuff and haven't been since the addition but does not sound like much of a visual distraction from the Main Street theming. Non issue IMO.... :thumbsup:

Until the change to Joffreys coffee throughout WDW (except Starbucks locations), the coffee was definitely leave it. Now with Joffreys and Starbucks the coffee all over the World is good. :coffee:

#1donaldfan
11-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Until the change to Joffreys coffee throughout WDW (except Starbucks locations), the coffee was definitely leave it. Now with Joffreys and Starbucks the coffee all over the World is good. :coffee:

Very true....but nothing beats spending a snack credit on a large cup of great coffee !!!:cool:

kakn7294
11-22-2013, 03:08 AM
I loved it!

I also think it's hysterical how people have reacted to adding Starbucks to WDW and DL. Main Street in DL initially was almost ALL corporate sponsored, from the cigar store to a bra shop (yes, really!).

PlutoPlanet
11-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Yes, we went into Starbucks a few times ourselves. I thought I would not like it, but I do.

larjani
11-23-2013, 06:35 AM
I'm not a Starbucks fan. It upsets my stomach. Is it like the other sponsored attractions, ie The Tiki show sponsored by Dole? Any pics?

Ksmith75
12-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Very happy that the Starbucks is on Main St. Enjoyed it in Nov. wonderful, actually.

12-07-2013, 11:32 PM
There's nothing that smells that bad (Starbuck's that is) that can be good for you.

MickeysBestPal
12-08-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm not a Starbucks fan. It upsets my stomach. Is it like the other sponsored attractions, ie The Tiki show sponsored by Dole? Any pics?

The Main Street Bakery is not "sponsored by" Starbucks.

They remodeled the Main Street Bakery into a stylized Starbucks (it fits in with the Main Street decor.)

The store is called "Starbucks" and has a version of the Starbucks logo on the front and elsewhere.

Plenty of photos if you do some web searches.
(Google for "Starbucks Magic Kingdom photos.")

A couple of the complaints that seem to persist is that they no longer sell the very popular MSBakery cinnamon rolls there, and that they removed all of the seating that was formerly available inside the MSBakery.

big blue and hairy
12-08-2013, 11:35 AM
The store is called "Starbucks" and has a version of the Starbucks logo on the front and elsewhere.

Plenty of photos if you do some web searches.
(Google for "Starbucks Magic Kingdom photos.")

That is incorrect. It is the Main Street Bakery, as you will see in large letters across the front window.

JerseyDad
12-08-2013, 12:12 PM
There's nothing that smells that bad (Starbuck's that is) that can be good for you.

....with enough fluff, advertisement, and trendy-status-symbol looking logos ....people can be made to believe that anything is actually a good product.

....Starbucks coffee is roasted to the level of 'burnt' (because it has to be to stand up to all the sugar, flavor syrup, cream ingredients of the foo-foo coffee "drinks" they make) ....and is a prime example of how free-thinkers can be turned into $3/cup bad-coffee addicts based on their deceptive pricing. Ever wonder why a small Starbucks is $2 for a small? But more than that, a small coffee there is usually priced to come to a (tax added) cost that's slightly above the $2 mark (like $2.01, or $2.03.) Most persons won't have that $0.05 cents ...or a single penny ...and then, not wanting to carry .99 cents or so in loose change around ...opt for the next size (medium) which is just below the $3 mark. Starbucks once admitted that it's odd $$ pricing was not something that was done "by chance", it was done to have you step up to the next size and get the lions-share of that remaining $3 that was pulled out of your pocket.

.....add to that, Starbucks has also tricked its 'faithful' into drinking "coffee-drinks" ...which for the most part when you look at the menu ...are not even coffee. They basically gave adults and far too many teens with quickly expanding mid-sections a reason / permission to have a high calorie milkshake every day.

.....my other pet peeve is that they somehow felt like it was okay to re-name small / medium / large drink sizes ....with arrogant and incorrectly applied 'boutique names' like 'tall, venti, and grande'. Correct me if I'm wrong ...but 'venti' is Italian for #20 ...and yet a 'venti' at Starbucks is larger than that. Which leads me to my final rant point. The drinks are all substantially larger than industry standards. Most "small" coffee's are 8oz ...but there's is (I think) 12oz. This all plays into getting their customers even more addicted to their coffee ...because it's been shown that it has a higher caffeine content than most other brands. So ...a 7/11 coffee (which tastes SO much better) just won't cut it for you if all you have had was Starbucks and your body is aching (literally) for that next caffeine high.

....besides it's vile taste ....it's a company that has been on a steadfast course to make its customer think that they are getting so much more than they really are.

...oh ...hey! wait a minute!! ...it sounds like they are gonna' fit right in at the "Next Generation Disney"

big blue and hairy
12-08-2013, 04:56 PM

Firstly, I disagree, Starbucks always smells (and tastes) good to me. Regardless of that, using your logic, how do you explain broccoli?

big blue and hairy
12-08-2013, 05:04 PM
....with enough fluff, advertisement, and trendy-status-symbol looking logos ....people can be made to believe that anything is actually a good product.

....Starbucks coffee is roasted to the level of 'burnt' (because it has to be to stand up to all the sugar, flavor syrup, cream ingredients of the foo-foo coffee "drinks" they make) ....and is a prime example of how free-thinkers can be turned into $3/cup bad-coffee addicts based on their deceptive pricing. Ever wonder why a small Starbucks is $2 for a small? But more than that, a small coffee there is usually priced to come to a (tax added) cost that's slightly above the $2 mark (like $2.01, or $2.03.) Most persons won't have that $0.05 cents ...or a single penny ...and then, not wanting to carry .99 cents or so in loose change around ...opt for the next size (medium) which is just below the $3 mark. Starbucks once admitted that it's odd $$ pricing was not something that was done "by chance", it was done to have you step up to the next size and get the lions-share of that remaining $3 that was pulled out of your pocket.

.....add to that, Starbucks has also tricked its 'faithful' into drinking "coffee-drinks" ...which for the most part when you look at the menu ...are not even coffee. They basically gave adults and far too many teens with quickly expanding mid-sections a reason / permission to have a high calorie milkshake every day.

.....my other pet peeve is that they somehow felt like it was okay to re-name small / medium / large drink sizes ....with arrogant and incorrectly applied 'boutique names' like 'tall, venti, and grande'. Correct me if I'm wrong ...but 'venti' is Italian for #20 ...and yet a 'venti' at Starbucks is larger than that. Which leads me to my final rant point. The drinks are all substantially larger than industry standards. Most "small" coffee's are 8oz ...but there's is (I think) 12oz. This all plays into getting their customers even more addicted to their coffee ...because it's been shown that it has a higher caffeine content than most other brands. So ...a 7/11 coffee (which tastes SO much better) just won't cut it for you if all you have had was Starbucks and your body is aching (literally) for that next caffeine high.

....besides it's vile taste ....it's a company that has been on a steadfast course to make its customer think that they are getting so much more than they really are.

...oh ...hey! wait a minute!! ...it sounds like they are gonna' fit right in at the "Next Generation Disney"
Other than the silly size names, I don't agree. Starbucks gives them permission? Nobody is forcing anyone to drink the high cal, high sugar drinks just like no one puts a gun to your head to eat a big Mac, fries and a shake.

Also, I may not be their favorite customer, but I drink Starbucks every day, brewed at home, black. Zero calories, zero sugar.

I was thrilled to get a Starbucks at Main Street Bakery. Nescafe, now that's bad coffee.

Melanie
12-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Other than the silly size names, I don't agree. Starbucks gives them permission? Nobody is forcing anyone to drink the high cal, high sugar drinks just like no one puts a gun to your head to eat a big Mac, fries and a shake.

Also, I may not be their favorite customer, but I drink Starbucks every day, brewed at home, black. Zero calories, zero sugar.

I was thrilled to get a Starbucks at Main Street Bakery. Nescafe, now that's bad coffee.

Agreed! And for anyone who thinks their regular coffee tastes 'burnt', I suggest giving the Blonde roast a try if you haven't already.

The Starbucks are at Disney Parks to stay. This is one decision I agree on. Can't please them all.

DizneyFreak2002
12-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Agreed! And for anyone who thinks their regular coffee tastes 'burnt', I suggest giving the Blonde roast a try if you haven't already.

I did... Tastes just as bad and burnt as their other coffee... Joffrey's Coffee isn't any better...

Melanie
12-08-2013, 06:54 PM
I did... Tastes just as bad and burnt as their other coffee... Joffrey's Coffee isn't any better...

I knew I'd have that response from someone. And I will emphatically disagree. The blonde roast does not taste burnt. If you don't like it, fine. But burnt tasting it's not.

Seriously, the coffee choices ARE better than they were. This is the least of my worries at WDW now.

Scar
12-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Stop arguing. All coffee is disgusting. I mean... hot bean water... really????

big blue and hairy
12-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Can anyone actually tell me Starbucks and Joffreys is not an improvement over Nescafe?

mickclub1955
12-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Can anyone actually tell me Starbucks and Joffreys is not an improvement over Nescafe?

No, and arguing over it is quite silly. Everyone has their likes and dislikes.

12-09-2013, 12:20 AM
Firstly, I disagree, Starbucks always smells (and tastes) good to me. Regardless of that, using your logic, how do you explain broccoli?

68 yrs, good health and haven't "knowingly" (possible baby food doesn't count) yet. No idea if it is good for you or not and furthermore, haven't smelled any either.

marlyn
12-09-2013, 12:33 AM
I'm looking forward to Starbucks coffee. I managed to choke back the stuff at the resort out of necessity (I'm a Beast without my morning java), but to have some decent coffee will be a blessing! :thumbsup:

Madame Leona
12-09-2013, 08:09 AM
I do like Starbucks coffee...A LOT!!! I miss the bakery pastries. Starbucks might have coffee down to a science but there pastries and snacks leave something to be desired.

Ms. Mode
12-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Stop arguing. All coffee is disgusting. I mean... hot bean water... really????

LOL! I agree Scar, really just eat the beans...when covered with chocolate they are really pretty good.

My kids (DD and SIL 23) both love the fru-fru Starbucks drinks as well as the "burnt" coffee. For me and my DH we are just happy to have a real coffee to drink at WDW. :mickey:

JerseyDad
12-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I do like Starbucks coffee...A LOT!!! I miss the bakery pastries. Starbucks might have coffee down to a science but there pastries and snacks leave something to be desired.

.....the only science they have applied is the slick marketing of a sub-standard product to make their patrons think that it's good.

JerseyDad
12-09-2013, 11:44 AM
68 yrs, good health and haven't "knowingly" (possible baby food doesn't count) yet. No idea if it is good for you or not and furthermore, haven't smelled any either.

....broccoli is perhaps as close to being "the food of the gods" that a vegetable can be (with the possible exception of broccoli rabe (aka: rapini )

....fyi .....if you can "smell" the broccoli ...you over cooked it.

big blue and hairy
12-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Well I was kidding about that. Broccoli is super food by all accounts, but :ack:, can't do it.

joonyer
12-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Well of course not, but then Nescafe isn't really coffee in the first place. I'm fine with Starbucks coffee, although I never buy any from their stores. But just saying it's an improvement over Nescafe isn't saying much. ANY brewed coffee would be an improvement over the brown colored warm water that is called Nescafe. :D

12-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Well I was kidding about that. Broccoli is super food by all accounts, but :ack:, can't do it.

I know, but couldn't resist.

big blue and hairy
12-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are the coffee faves here?

Melanie
12-09-2013, 07:17 PM
I like Starbucks and Caribou Coffee for retail stores. My Keurig selections are varied though.

JerseyDad
12-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are the coffee faves here?

...there are many EXCELLENT lesser know coffee companies out there to choose from. Their products are more pricey than say, Folgers or Maxwell House ...but a bit less than Starbucks.

...it would have been a fantastic endeavor on WDW's part to find / try / pick one (or two) of these and perhaps, launch their company(s) into the limelight by featuring it at WDW.

....a favorite coffee of mine is Mayorga. It's sold mostly on-line .....and in a few cigar stores I frequent ...and is bold (or at least the roast I like is) ...but smooth beyond anything I've had in many years. (the aroma ...will blow you away)

marlyn
12-09-2013, 09:29 PM
If you come to canada.....try Tim Hortons coffee!

joonyer
12-09-2013, 11:58 PM
My favorite (brew at home every day) is Gevalia House Blend. I mix regular and decaf for half the caffeine. It is smooth, strong but not too dark/bitter, and has a wonderful aroma. I drink it black.

big blue and hairy
12-10-2013, 10:04 PM

I knew that one was coming, but Miami's a long way a away...

JerseyDad
12-11-2013, 10:10 AM
I knew that one was coming, but Miami's a long way a away...

......if YOU cannot find a really good cup of coffee ...in Miami ...that's NOT Starbucks ....then you're not looking (just saying ;) )

PlutoPlanet
12-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Could you please tell me how Tim Hortons compares to Dunkin Donuts? DD has a cult like grip on some folks here in the northeast.

PlutoPlanet
12-11-2013, 12:05 PM
My favorite (brew at home every day) is Gevalia House Blend. I mix regular and decaf for half the caffeine. It is smooth, strong but not too dark/bitter, and has a wonderful aroma. I drink it black.

I started making cold brewed iced coffee with Gevalia. Love the coffee and the price.

JerseyDad
12-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Could you please tell me how Tim Hortons compares to Dunkin Donuts? DD has a cult like grip on some folks here in the northeast.

.....DD coffee is a very well balanced cup ...good aroma ...no bitter / burnt finish. And if you want some more "oomph" ...they now will add an espresso shot (for a price of course).

[on that note ...some 7/11's have the individual creamers that you can add as you make your coffee ...and many now have these individual 'espresso shots' to add ...for free ....nice touch]

....best thing about DD's coffee is the fast turnover ...so there is always a fresh pot ready to serve.

....I've had Tim Horton's coffee via k-cups and my Keurig machine. It's a good cup of coffee 'out of the gate' ...but as you get to the bottom of the cup ...it's almost laborious to finish it. I know it's the same coffee I put in the cup ...and no one messed with my cup ...it just changes character ....not for the better ...as the cup gets lower (or cools?)

Goes4FastPass
12-11-2013, 05:03 PM
It's pathetic.

"I've ignored my kids for the past 51 weeks but if I'm supposed to spend a whole day with them here in mouse land I must first have my Starbucks, my Starbucks, my Starbucks... The line is longer than any ride in the park but I must first have my Starbucks, my Starbucks, my Starbucks... I'll catch up... you all go on ahead... I'll see you back at the room...I must first have my Starbucks, my Starbucks, my Starbucks...

DizneyFreak2002
12-11-2013, 05:17 PM

At least DD has good coffee...

However, we can say that about any corporation... Look at Disney and its fans... They have a cult like grip on their die hards too... Some take it to unhealthy extremes...

1DisneyNut
12-11-2013, 06:42 PM
At first I didn't like the idea of Starbucks popping up all over WDW but now that it is there I realize I was looking at it all wrong. I am glad they are there now......keeps masses busy standing in line waiting for a cup while we go ride a few rides ahead of them. lol

I am not a coffee drinker and I can't stand to drink any of that overpriced mess they sell. It still baffles me that people will stand in line and pay $5 or more for about $1.50 worth of product.......I wish I had thought of the Starbucks idea. They have probably the best marketing ever.

marlyn
12-11-2013, 08:30 PM

Can't help you. I've never been to Dunkin Donuts :confused:

JerseyDad
12-11-2013, 10:21 PM
At first I didn't like the idea of Starbucks popping up all over WDW but now that it is there I realize I was looking at it all wrong. I am glad they are there now......keeps masses busy standing in line waiting for a cup while we go ride a few rides ahead of them. lol

I am not a coffee drinker and I can't stand to drink any of that overpriced mess they sell. It still baffles me that people will stand in line and pay $5 or more for about $1.50 worth of product.......I wish I had thought of the Starbucks idea. They have probably the best marketing ever.

....more realistically like $0.60 cents worth ...if that.

Hammer
12-12-2013, 12:28 AM
...it would have been a fantastic endeavor on WDW's part to find / try / pick one (or two) of these and perhaps, launch their company(s) into the limelight by featuring it at WDW.

That is exactly what Disney did when the chose Joffrey's as the coffee supplier for all food service in WDW and DL. Joffrey's is a small Tampa, Florida based company. You may not enjoy their coffee, but it doesn't change the fact that Disney went with the small local company rather than the major corporation.

TheVBs
12-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Another vote for Gevalia here. I've been ordering it online for years, and was thrilled when they started showing up in the grocery store, although not with as much variety. It's hands-down the best coffee I've ever had.

There are maybe 3 or 4 brands I would buy before choosing Starbucks. But aside from Gevalia outdoing them by a fair amount, the rest are all a close run.

I am enthusiastically embracing the coffee upgrades at WDW! I rarely get a cup in the parks, but that first cup in the morning at the resort is crucial for me. And trying to get by on that awful Nescafe was hard. So, YAY! :mickey:

p.s. Thank you for adding the broccoli argument, I loved it! :D

big blue and hairy
12-12-2013, 11:30 AM
p.s. Thank you for adding the broccoli argument, I loved it! :D

You are quite welcome. ;)