PDA

View Full Version : Accessible rooms questions

Mrs Bus Driver
11-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi all I am looking to book a trip next year and have questions about the rooms. A friend will be using a wheelchair and I will be using a scooter. While neither of us needs the roll in shower I have to wonder if there will be enough room in a regular 2 bedroom (OKW) to move around in a wheelchair or park/plug in a scooter? Would like to hear from those who have stayed here. Also concerned about room access, what if the room is on second floor will there be elevator access? TIA

JMTStone
11-14-2013, 01:59 PM
I only have experience in the new renovated 1 bedroom but I have to say it was very spacious and can imagine a scooter charging in the hallway in addition to plenty of room in the living area for wheelchair rolling.

I was surprised on how big OKW was so if I were you I would make sure they know you have limited mobility even though you don't need the roll in shower.

We were on the first floor of the villas across the street from one of the bus stops and I don't remember any jostling around in tight spaces walking to and from the bus stop.

Mrs Bus Driver
11-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did finally call them and was told to reserve an accessible room because I can't do stairs. It's the only way to be sure to have either an elevator or be on the first floor. Guess I was just nervous about making my first reservation. But now it's done and I feel pretty good about it. :mickey: I wasn't able to get OKW, got SS instead. I did however waitlist for OKW. Either way am looking forward to my first trip as a DVC member.

JMTStone
11-15-2013, 08:53 AM
YAY.:thumbsup:

You know SSR is our HOME resort but we have only been there once. Its a lot like OKW with the bus system taking you around the resort because there are several buildings.

I liked being close to DTD and looking across the lake to all the activity there.

Mrs Bus Driver
11-19-2013, 01:05 PM
I was hoping for OKW but this trip was pretty short notice so had to take what I could get. Although I wanted the bigger rooms at OKW the pictures of the rooms at SS look pretty nice, so I know it will be alright :mickey:

JMTStone
11-19-2013, 01:20 PM
You'll love it, you're at Disney. I liked the Counter Service place there too. I remember the flat-breads being phenomenal.

They have a zero entry pool too in case you and your friend feel like a dip (if its warm enough, of course).

I like not having to climb out of the pool on a ladder and I imagine that would suit the two of you just fine as well.

Hammer
11-19-2013, 02:38 PM
I was hoping for OKW but this trip was pretty short notice so had to take what I could get. Although I wanted the bigger rooms at OKW the pictures of the rooms at SS look pretty nice, so I know it will be alright :mickey:

SSR is our home resort and we like it very much. We stay in a 2 bedroom villa and my Mom uses a wheelchair. She has not had any problems with moving around the room. We rented a scooter for one trip and found plugging it in the corner of the common area or the master bedroom worked best.

All the buildings at SSR have an elevator. My Mom actually prefers SSR. She does not like the lack of elevators at OKW and we would rather not stay in a first floor room.

Just a note that only one of the bathrooms will be handicap accessible (with the grab bars) in the 2 bedroom villas. Usually it is the master bath, but it was the bath attached to the 2nd bedroom when we stayed in Kidani this past October.