PDA

View Full Version : December Weather

Fantasia2005
11-11-2013, 12:00 PM
So, I'm 25 days out til my surprise Mommy/Daughter trip and I'm making my checklist (one of many) for clothes packing. I get that it might be chilly in the mornings and evenings but do you all think it will be winter coat weather? We are leaving Dec 6th and returning Dec 11th. Thanks in advance. :confused:

faline
11-11-2013, 12:41 PM
It could be. One year we attended Mickey's Christmas party bundled up as though we were at home (We live in New England). Other years, we've attended in shorts and have been plenty warm enough.

In early December, we've seen almost every extreme of temperatures in Florida Plan for all eventualities.

Disney4us2
11-11-2013, 07:31 PM
We have been there early December twice. Both times the days were great. The nights got chilly, for us COLD being from So. Cal. The last trip in 2011 was down fight freezing at night. Had to buy an extra fleece lined sweatshirt. I would plan on layering clothing, lighter during the day and heavier at night.

brownie
11-11-2013, 10:22 PM
In 2003, it was 40 degrees the day we left to go home in early December. I've also seen lots of people wearing winter coats when it's in the low 50's there; that's jacket weather around here!

SurferStitch
11-12-2013, 11:51 AM
DH and I have gone every other December since 2007 (07, 09, 11). Trips are 10-12 days each.

We've had amazing weather every trip. I'd say 90% of the days were in the low-mid 70's to low 80's. In all of those trips, we've had about 2 or 3 "chilly" days (low 60's to upper 50's). We did have several chilly nights, but for the most part, very mild evenings. I usually only need a light to medium hoodie to keep me warm, and I get cold easily. A couple times I've worn a cute hoodie to MVMCP only to have to take it off until about 10pm because it was just too warm for it.

I honestly don't remember having any rain at all during any December trip. If we did, it was so quick we never saw it (like in a ride), or it was overnight.

We usually go early to mid December (home by the 17th or so).

I've noticed that the off years (2008, 2010, 2012) had some lousy weather (wet and cold). We seem to luck out and get into a good rhythm with odd years, so hoping this year is no different!!

That doesn't mean I don't pack for everything. I'm a notorious overpacker, and this year will be no different as well. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and have to buy it.

1goofyfamily
11-12-2013, 01:46 PM
This will be our 5th December trip and in the previous 4 we've only wished we had heavier coats once. It was actually warmer in Iowa than Disney that year but we made due and bought hats & gloves and sweatshirts. My oldest 2 boys still wear their crazy Goofy fleece hats 8 years later and everyone always asks them about them. But on that same trip it was warm enough 1 day in the middle to swim. We've always just brought light jackets for the mornings and evenings and have been in shorts & tshirts the rest of the day....but 50 degrees is shorts weather for the majority of midwesterners. My wife always plans to buy a sweatshirt while we are there so she never packs one.

Fantasia2005
11-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the info! I was hoping to not have to take winter coats with us and be able to rely on hoodies and layers. I will add hats and gloves to my list though...didn't really think of those. I'm super excited and surprised that I've managed to keep this trip a secret!! :secret::mickey:

BryantLauren
11-19-2013, 05:01 AM
I always pack warm clothes even if the broadcasts look good. I don't want my vacation to be ruined because of the wind or rain.

PopPhan
11-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Keep an eye on the Weather thread under Vacation Planning....Chris (Strmchsr) does a great job of keeping us informed of the forecasts.

Once your dates move from "voodooland" into realistic forecasts, you can be better prepared.

Early December would be highly unlikely for WINTER COATS/JACKETS, but you should bring things like sweaters and/or sweatshirts just for safety sake.

I'm looking forward to being back in shorts and short sleeve polos for my trip Dec 4 - 11, but I will also pack a couple pairs of jeans and a couple sweatshirts just in case. (Then again, I'm kind of an idiot anyway -- I'm a shorts and t-shirt kind of guy until the temps drop below 50 for daytime highs!)