PDA

View Full Version : Which Park

Mitzie
11-11-2013, 08:10 AM
We will be down in the Sunshine state the week between Christmas and NewYears staying with family. Since we won't be far from our happy place..if we were to drive down for just one day and do a Disney park which is best during this time of year? We have never been to WDW at this time..is it crazy croweded..like can't ride but two rides all day kind of thing. Our DD might be bringing along a friend who has never been to WDW. Your imput would be much appreciated.

MickeysBestPal
11-11-2013, 08:52 AM
We will be down in the Sunshine state the week between Christmas and NewYears staying with family. Since we won't be far from our happy place..if we were to drive down for just one day and do a Disney park which is best during this time of year?

We have never been to WDW at this time..

is it crazy croweded..like can't ride but two rides all day kind of thing. Our DD might be bringing along a friend who has never been to WDW. Your imput would be much appreciated.

The absolute busiest week of the year.

Animal Kingdom will likely be the least busy, as it closes earliest and doesn't offer any night-time events. But, even AK will be over-run with guests.

MK will likely be shoulder-to-shoulder at some times of the day.

GET to WDW early, early, EARLY in the morning, if you want to make sure to be able to get into any of the parks that week.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-11-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm always a fan of Epcot on crazy-busy days.

Crowds seem to flow better than in the other parks, and compared to MK or DHS, there is a lot more room for everyone.

But, it is going to be crazy, I'd get there early, enjoy a few rides and spend the afternoon in World Showcase.

It could also be fun to spend a day resort-hopping, looking at the Christmas decorations, take a ride on the monorail, have a meal, without the crowds of the parks.

Middle of the Map
11-11-2013, 11:36 PM
I'm always a fan of Epcot on crazy-busy days.

Crowds seem to flow better than in the other parks, and compared to MK or DHS, there is a lot more room for everyone.

But, it is going to be crazy, I'd get there early, enjoy a few rides and spend the afternoon in World Showcase.

It could also be fun to spend a day resort-hopping, looking at the Christmas decorations, take a ride on the monorail, have a meal, without the crowds of the parks.

Great advice. MK dazzles with the castle lights and street decorations, but Epcot is also gorgeous during the holidays. I love your idea of riding the monorail and visiting the resorts, especially The Grand Floridian and the gingerbread house. Mmmm.........

Main Street Jim
11-12-2013, 10:04 PM
We will be down in the Sunshine state the week between Christmas and New Years staying with family. Since we won't be far from our happy place..if we were to drive down for just one day and do a Disney park which is best during this time of year? We have never been to WDW at this time..is it crazy croweded..like can't ride but two rides all day kind of thing. Our DD might be bringing along a friend who has never been to WDW. Your imput would be much appreciated.I *hate* to be a downer, but...without an AP *and* staying on-property...you more than likely are not getting into a park (well, MK, EP, and DHS) that week... :(

But, if it's a "must-do" for you and the family, get to a parking lot before sunrise. The parks generally open at 7:00am during that week. EPCOT would be my favorite; DHS is just *too* crowded and no room to even walk (traffic has never flowed very well at that park). Plan on being there all day/night; enjoy a CP if you can...and then Holiday Illuminations. :thumbsup:

faline
11-13-2013, 07:31 AM
I, too, would select Epcot as the park to go to when things are so busy. Since it is so busy, it is good advice to arrive as early as possible in the day. When parks reach capacity they will begin to turn cars away.

Goes4FastPass
11-13-2013, 11:02 AM
If your child is bringing a friend who has never been to WDW you must go to the Magic Kingdom. People who have never been to WDW assume CInderella Castle is Walt Disney World.

BUT
Find out when the park opens and be there then. YES, that means a predawn get up and go no matter how close you are to the park. Make an adventure out of it.
Bust the gate and make a beeline to a few super first timer headliners like BTMRR, Splash Mountain and the Haunted Mansion.
Breakfast?! That's what you at 10am!
MK. Be there when it opens. Take a photo of you DD and her pal in front of the castle.
You'll be hero cool Dad, guaranteed.:thumbsup:
You're welcome.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-13-2013, 01:39 PM
DHS doesn't handle crowds well, so avoid that park. I also think MK is horrible during holidays. Animal Kingdom might not be that bad but I think Epcot handles crowds the best:mickey:

Lindsey310
11-13-2013, 04:20 PM
We love epcot and it's our choice when we have only one day to do the parks but it's tempting to choose DHS to see the lights! Then you could hotel hop to see all the other decorations. :mickey: :santa3: :deer:

87 days!!! :cloud9:

1DisneyNut
11-13-2013, 05:04 PM
If your child is bringing a friend who has never been to WDW you must go to the Magic Kingdom. People who have never been to WDW assume CInderella Castle is Walt Disney World.

BUT
Find out when the park opens and be there then. YES, that means a predawn get up and go no matter how close you are to the park. Make an adventure out of it.
Bust the gate and make a beeline to a few super first timer headliners like BTMRR, Splash Mountain and the Haunted Mansion.
Breakfast?! That's what you at 10am!
MK. Be there when it opens. Take a photo of you DD and her pal in front of the castle.
You'll be hero cool Dad, guaranteed.:thumbsup:
You're welcome.

I agree with this^^^

It will get insanely busy quick but I would go to Magic Kingdom and be there an hour prior to opening. Go hit the highlight rides as quickly as possible and you should be able to get a few in and you might do the shows like Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree and Carousel of Progress as the main rides get crazy busy.

Once it gets too busy and isn't much fun I would go hop on the monorail and ride it to epcot because that is sort of an attraction by itself. Go over to Boardwalk and eat lunch somewhere and check everything Then you could jump on one of the boats and ride just for the fun of it or take the monorail back over to Magic Kingdom and then take a boat over to Fort Wilderness. From there you could watch the fireworks on the beach and go to the Campfire/outdoor movie.

My point is, you could spend days traveling around that place on the monorails and boats seeing resorts and other things that are all interesting on their own without having to deal with the crowds so much. A first timer would be amazed at pretty much all of it even if it isn't quite as "fun" as riding rides.

Mitzie
11-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses! DH just doesn't think it will be worth the $$ and drive to hit the parks with them so crowded. Does anyone know if non-Disney parks are just as bad? We even looked at the one in Tampa thinking it is more off the beaten track of the Orlando area.