PDA

View Full Version : Magic Band/FastPass+ Solution

AndrewJackson
11-10-2013, 09:25 AM
We have an upcoming WDW trip in March. I have been reading various trip reports and Magic Band/FastPass+ experiences.

I've been willing to keep an open mind, and not pass judgement on the new system until I have experienced it firsthand. However, I have to admit, as I prepare to spend thousands of $$$ at WDW, I am getting very nervous.

Comments seem to be consistent that the Magic Bands are great for room entry, theme park entry, charging, etc. Comments also seem to be consistent that the FastPass+ system is glitchy, folks don't want to plan their rides 60 days out, and that it is slow.

So here is a possible solution for the system. Why not still use the Magic Bands to secure FastPasses, but do the way the legacy system allowed. In other words, only allow guests to get FastPasses the day of, and when they are in the park. So, for example, I arrive at Epcot, and I either get out my smartphone or I find a kiosk, and I get FPs for Soarin' for everyone in my party. That would be more convenient than grabbing everyone's tickets, running to Soarin' (er, walking as quickly and safely as possible) and getting FastPasses.

The old system made you wait to get an additional FP until your current FP window began, or if it was 2+ hours until it began, you had to wait until 2 hours prior to your window began.

So, to take it a step further, let's say I arrive at Epcot at 10:45. Soarin' FPs are available for 4:30. So, while we wait for out FP, we decide to hit the countries. It's now 2:30, and the family just enjoyed American Adventure and we are now eligible for new FPs. Wouldn't it be convenient if I could find a nearby kiosk or use my smartphone to get FPs for mission space or test track?

It seems this would be a better solution. It would allow Disney to save face on this huge Nexgen investment! but it would also allow FP+ to be an actual + for their guests.

Just an idea.

Tekneek
11-10-2013, 09:42 AM
I would like some mix of the new and old, personally. Identification of at least 1 "must do" attraction that you can schedule in advance is a good idea, IMO. Very rarely did we use all 3 of our slots.

MickeysBestPal
11-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Why not still use the Magic Bands to secure FastPasses, but do the way the legacy system allowed. In other words, only allow guests to get FastPasses the day of, and when they are in the park. So, for example, I arrive at Epcot, and I either get out my smartphone or I find a kiosk, and I get FPs for Soarin' for everyone in my party. That would be more convenient than grabbing everyone's tickets, running to Soarin' (er, walking as quickly and safely as possible) and getting FastPasses.

Gargantuan, massive bottleneck of tens of thousands of guests trying to get FP+ at, say, 8:30AM or 9AM or... whenever the time the FP+ reservations for that day opened.

Far too heavy a focused load on the FP+ computer servers and software.
Remember that this would be happening simultaneously
at ALL parks at about the same time... every morning.

The WiFi would not be able to carry the overwhelming load, the FP+ kiosks would be a ZOO of lined-up guests.

I have this amazing idea where guests can go to the individual attraction and get FP's to ride later in the day. ;)

JerseyDad
11-10-2013, 11:10 AM
....here's the real solution: Build Some More Marquee Attractions!! ....'poof'!

...there ...I did my good deed for the day!!

Tekneek
11-10-2013, 12:18 PM

With billions of dollars in profits, improving/updating/expanding is simply out of the question... Oh, but, there is Avatarland on the horizon!

I'd be happy if they improved the simple things and did those really well. Having just returned from WDW, they appear to be struggling to find pleasant and customer-driven CMs already. I fear what would happen if they had to hire another 50-100.

Pop Centurion
11-10-2013, 12:55 PM
This is such a common sense solution but I'm sure there are motives to why Disney doesn't do this.
Think about it. When they switch the FP+ choices to the way they're doing it Epcot currently, what will happen? Guests who don't want to stand in those long lines will most likely go eat and/or shop. I think this new system will ultimately cause many repeat guests to start looking elsewhere for alternate vacation plans. Most of us know how to breeze through the parks while still feeling relaxed & unrushed. These changes will have people in longer stand bye lines thus limiting our time to do much.
I wouldn't have a problem with the current Epcot FP system at all the parks if they still allowed guests to get as many as they could while in the park just like the legacy FP system. I guess for now I'm remain hopeful that disaster will cause Disney to rethink their plan.

DizneyRox
11-10-2013, 03:13 PM
If you're spending all day using Fastpass+, when are you going to open up that wallet and give Mickey some if your hard earned cash!

Pick three before you even leave your room and now you are free to wave that band around all the merchandise shops and snack stand...

GoBlueLacheta
11-10-2013, 06:25 PM
I think it's kind of funny how elaborate and ridiculously intricate the whole FP+ system is making itself out to be.

Maybe we are overanalyzing, I think it's also comical that continuous circuit rides like Spaceship Earth and The Sea with Nemo and Friends are on the system in the first place.

Just think, we are all for the most part, repeat guests who have been around the DW block enough to join a message board and comment on it from time to time or more, so imagine the droves of individuals who just go to Disney on vacation with little to no knowledge about certain nuances that we are discussing.

:beer:

JerseyDad
11-10-2013, 07:50 PM
I think it's kind of funny how elaborate and ridiculously intricate the whole FP+ system is making itself out to be.

Maybe we are overanalyzing, I think it's also comical that continuous circuit rides like Spaceship Earth and The Sea with Nemo and Friends are on the system in the first place.

Just think, we are all for the most part, repeat guests who have been around the DW block enough to join a message board and comment on it from time to time or more, so imagine the droves of individuals who just go to Disney on vacation with little to no knowledge about certain nuances that we are discussing.

:beer:

....those first timers ...who don't hang out on WDW focused boards ...or do MONTHS of extensive research into "how to do Disney" ....will be ...very likely ...."one and done" visitors.

AndrewJackson
12-10-2013, 03:15 PM
I am resurrecting this idea and this thread. Why not somehow incorporate the magic bands into the legacy FastPass system? I still think it could work.

Disney could install banks of FP+ kiosks throughout the park. By having the magic bands linked together, one person could still be the "runner" and reserve FPs for the entire party. You could also go to the nearest kiosk without running to the attraction, or allow users to use their smartphones once in the park. Basically, the system would work like the old system, 2 hr max, one ride at a time, etc. No more of this 60 day window. Instead of a line of 5 or 6 FP kiosks using paper tickets, it would be FP+ kiosks using magic bands.

Disney could still use all the benefits of RF and the magic bands, while saving face on the project.

Bruegge
12-13-2013, 12:11 PM

Great...and easy... your next assignment is world peace and a cancer cure...LOL

JerseyDad
12-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Great...and easy... your next assignment is world peace and a cancer cure...LOL

......challenge accepted!!

......(thinking to myself) ...this ought to be a snap when compared to the woes that will befall WDW due to the FP+ issues

WiltonJohn
12-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Maybe we are overanalyzing,........

Ya think! ;) Lots of "armchair quarterbacking" going on here on Intercot at the moment. :stop:

Unless we are hanging out in Disney staff meetings or in the Disney Boardroom...... we haven't a concrete CLUE what is really going on or is planned by the Disney management.

All else about their "plans"that is not officially released by them that shows up here is pure speculation. And those that "speak the loudest" tend to dominate the direction of this speculated discussion. Slowly the repeated and embellished speculations get taken as "facts" by many...... and that then leads to unnecessary angst and confusion for lots of folks.

Send physical letters (you know... that stuff on paper :D) to Disney Guest Relations describing facts on your personal experiences there or with thier systems. If you also have constructive ideas based on experiences, share them too. They do read them and respond.

best,

..............john

JerseyDad
12-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Unless we are hanging out in Disney staff meetings or in the Disney Boardroom...... we haven't a concrete CLUE what is really going on or is planned by the Disney management.

....given what's been seen so far ...it's likely that they are just as clueless...

mickclub1955
12-13-2013, 04:03 PM
I for one am holding my opinion until I go in less than a month. I will get to experience AK first hand (since they are the first to go fully FP+). I do not have any FP+ scheduled for that park because I have them at the studios later in the day. I do find that there are a lot a questions and not many people with answers just speculation. I'm with writing and letting Disney know your concerns and what you liked and disliked about the new system. From what I can tell on other posts, they are responding. I have heard rumors that this whole MM+ is going to replace EMH's in the future. Has anyone else heard this? This would be another item to let them know about, if it is true.

DizneyFreak2002
12-13-2013, 04:07 PM
I have heard rumors that this whole MM+ is going to replace EMH's in the future. Has anyone else heard this? This would be another item to let them know about, if it is true.

Yes... It has been rumored this is the plan... I remember when some of us stated legacy fastpass was going to go away with FP+ and were told we didn't know what we were talking about, Disney wouldn't be stupid enough to do such a thing.. and PRESTO: Legacy Fastpass is going away...

Melanie
12-13-2013, 04:11 PM
What is MM+?

mickclub1955
12-13-2013, 04:15 PM
What is MM+?

My Magic +. Sorry if I called it the wrong thing. I was aiming for the whole new system, not just FP+.

Melanie
12-13-2013, 04:20 PM
My Magic + is replacing Extra Magic Hours? Or maybe a better way to say it is that EMH will go away with the full implementation of My Magic+?

mickclub1955
12-13-2013, 04:29 PM
My Magic + is replacing Extra Magic Hours? Or maybe a better way to say it is that EMH will go away with the full implementation of My Magic+?

Exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you for making it more clear. Sometimes what I am trying to say doesn't sound like what comes out.

Melanie
12-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you for making it more clear. Sometimes what I am trying to say doesn't sound like what comes out.

Oh. Not a problem at all. :) But definitely another thing to voice your opinion about. Thanks!

JerseyDad
12-13-2013, 04:37 PM

.....or maybe a better way to put it is ....

.....we can say, "Buh-bye EMH"!

.... or ....we can say, "Adios EMH"!

.... or ....we can say, "Arrivederci EMH"!

.... or ....we can say, "Do Svidaniya EMH"!

.... or ....we can say, "Au revoir! EMH"!

.... or ....we can say, "Sayōnara! EMH"!

.......just like on It's A Small World....

acetate
12-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone. Been awhile since I posted but we just got back from a 5 day stay at Wilderness Lodge. We hated the Magic Band FP plus deal. At this stage its a mess. When going on vacation we typically "unplug" and leave electronics behind. Big mistake apparently. At every turn someone was explaining how easy it was to download the free app and schedule all of your activities. Well when you dont bring your iphone you up the creek ! The folks at the front desk of the hotel gave us the old style room key cards in case there was a problem, but when the problem arose...at Soarin', and we used the room key cards to get FP the old way we got yelled at ! The guy at Soarin' said "You're not supposed to use those cards if you have magic bands. Who said you could do that?" We told him, the front desk at Wilderness Lodge. We went round and round with this guy and got nowhere. We left without getting on the ride. My wife said to this "castmember" I'm not very happy about this, and he responded. "Oh well". After that we complained to 3 different people and got nowhere. Sorry but it *****. I could go on, but won't. Bottom line is if you carry electronics with you 24/7 this might work for you. If you like to take it easy and not schedule things tightly, check emails, updates etc. you're pretty much penalized now at Disney.

1DisneyNut
12-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi everyone. Been awhile since I posted but we just got back from a 5 day stay at Wilderness Lodge. We hated the Magic Band FP plus deal. At this stage its a mess. When going on vacation we typically "unplug" and leave electronics behind. Big mistake apparently. At every turn someone was explaining how easy it was to download the free app and schedule all of your activities. Well when you dont bring your iphone you up the creek ! The folks at the front desk of the hotel gave us the old style room key cards in case there was a problem, but when the problem arose...at Soarin', and we used the room key cards to get FP the old way we got yelled at ! The guy at Soarin' said "You're not supposed to use those cards if you have magic bands. Who said you could do that?" We told him, the front desk at Wilderness Lodge. We went round and round with this guy and got nowhere. We left without getting on the ride. My wife said to this "castmember" I'm not very happy about this, and he responded. "Oh well". After that we complained to 3 different people and got nowhere. Sorry but it *****. I could go on, but won't. Bottom line is if you carry electronics with you 24/7 this might work for you. If you like to take it easy and not schedule things tightly, check emails, updates etc. you're pretty much penalized now at Disney.

You should definitely email or send a letter to guest services about your experience. Some will say send a letter through the mail as if it carries more weight but that is outdated and they respond to emails. If you email, you will get a response and they will probably ask for your phone number if you do not include it in the email and they will then follow up with a personal phone call.

JerseyDad
12-15-2013, 10:17 PM

....sounds like a rough experience ...to say the least! I'm kinda' thinking though ...don't come down too hard on the CM's (at this point) ...they are just trying to work with a system they've been given. And ...if you look at all the changes they've been dealt (GAC to DAS, MB's, FP+ ...etc) ...it's a sizable workload to handle ....and they're not machines and get frazzled. I spoke with a few of them last trip and they confided in me to say a lot of them are really stressed out (it was showing on their faces and in their mannerisms)

....I'm with you on the "leave the tech stuff in the room" while on vacation. My wife actually printed out all the FP+ reservations on a sheet of paper along with an "agenda". I still had my smartphone with me ....but only because I can't really be "on vacation" ...I'm self employed and have to be 'available' all the time.

acetate
12-15-2013, 10:21 PM
I'll try it but as I was saying we complained and even filled out 2 electronic surveys in the parks. One was in a little alcove near Sid Cahuenga's at DHS, the other was from a person walking around looking for people to take a survey. That one was in MK. If this is truly the future Disney Park experience for people then Disney and I will have to part ways. Much as I like a lot of what they offer, this is not a relaxing or fun way to spend a week. Not to mention over 2 grand of my money.

WiltonJohn
12-16-2013, 11:46 AM
I'll try it but as I was saying we complained and even filled out 2 electronic surveys in the parks.

Send a letter (and an email... same content......I did both.). You WILL hear back. They are listening.

I am VERY happy with the response I got from the Guest Services agent. I've had long conversations with her, and have a "hotline" direct to her for the future.

This will eventually get sorted out if people take the time to provide meaningful and professional feedback to Disney. Of course the eventual result will not make everyone happy... that is absolutely impossible.... but it should make things better in general.

best,

..................john