PDA

View Full Version : Grand Californian

chefmickey3
11-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Does anyone have experience booking the Grand Californian Villas at 7 month window. We usually travel to FL but looking into options in CA. I am wondering if it is difficult to book a 1 bedroom at 7 months in early August. Thanks!

seanyred
11-09-2013, 09:15 AM
We are going this December and booked at our 7 month window. We got 4 nights, Wed through Sunday, in a one bedroom (if we had more points available we could have booked 6 nights). So I think there is a good chance you will be able to book it, just book as soon as your window opens.

VWL Mom
11-09-2013, 11:25 AM
I'll be trying at the end of this month for late June. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Melanie
11-09-2013, 02:31 PM
I'm leaving in a few days and staying at the villas with a very generous friend who has DVC, and she got our 2 bedroom villa at 7 months out. Maybe she'll chime in. ;)

tundramom
11-09-2013, 03:45 PM
We did June/July without difficulty. Loved the resort :thumbsup::number1:

Carol
11-09-2013, 04:01 PM
It really depends on the time of year, since there are so few units. That being said, I've never had an issue when booking at 7 months out. I'm on the phone as soon as they open.

Good luck. Best DVC - hands down! :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
11-14-2013, 10:58 PM
My company is having their yearly conference in Disneyland next year... Only 1500 tickets were made available though... I think 85% of them are already sold... When I saw Disneyland is where the 2014 conference is going to be, I thought about going... but, several problems... 1) got to wait until the 7th month mark to book Grand Californian with my DVC points, and 2) I don't fly, how in the name of George Carlin would I get to California? LOL

chefmickey3
11-15-2013, 05:43 PM
DisneyFreak, what are the dates of that conference? Just wondering...

DizneyFreak2002
11-15-2013, 06:32 PM
DisneyFreak, what are the dates of that conference? Just wondering...

I forget honestly... Sometime at the end of September, beginning of October I believe...

Christine
11-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Please remember: you can use your dvc points at the Disneyland hotel as well! We did this for our trip in August.
1- you don't have to pay the $90 transfer fee (only a DL perk!)
2- points are very comparable (I paid average weekday/weekend 25 points a night over labor day weekend!)
3- you don't have to wait for the 7 month window
4- you get housekeeping every day!!

The only downside is if you're a larger family over 4 or if you need the kitchen because you cook on your vaca.

I was so happy to learn this as it was not only a holiday weekend, but also a marathon weekend!

The Disneyland hotel is phenomenal! I'd recommend it in a heartbeat!

DizneyFreak2002
11-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Please remember: you can use your dvc points at the Disneyland hotel as well! We did this for our trip in August.
1- you don't have to pay the $90 transfer fee (only a DL perk!)
2- points are very comparable (I paid average weekday/weekend 25 points a night over labor day weekend!)
3- you don't have to wait for the 7 month window
4- you get housekeeping every day!!

The only downside is if you're a larger family over 4 or if you need the kitchen because you cook on your vaca.

I was so happy to learn this as it was not only a holiday weekend, but also a marathon weekend!

The Disneyland hotel is phenomenal! I'd recommend it in a heartbeat!

Wait, you don't have to wait until the 7 month window to book at the Disneyland resorts???? I did not know this... Just kind of assumed you had to... Hmm, now that changes everything regarding my company's conference... My major problem is getting to California LOL...

Christine
11-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Nope! You sure don't! Hope you can go!

VWL Mom
11-17-2013, 06:34 PM
I just checked for our June trip and the DLH is 54 pts per night. That's almost the same as the 2 bedroom villa. :(

DizneyFreak2002
11-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Nope! You sure don't! Hope you can go!
Well thanks for that information... See what happens when you assume? LOL...

As for getting out there, doubtful... I don't fly, I won't drive from NJ to California, and I sure won't take a 3 day (70+ hours) train ride... :(

Christine
11-17-2013, 09:18 PM
I just checked for our June trip and the DLH is 54 pts per night. That's almost the same as the 2 bedroom villa. :(

Really!?! Wowza!!
Ok I went back to see what it cost me for Labor Day- on average per night 38 points (some weekends and a holiday included in there) and a pool view a DLH

So maybe not the most efficient use of points, but still an option if you can't get GC

VWL Mom
11-27-2013, 08:27 AM
I was able to get a 2 bedroom at VGC this morning at 7 months :woohoo: Tried yesterday but was shut out of day 1 at 8:02AM.

A hint I was given by MS is book it for one person and call them later to add the others. Don't waste time adding all the other names and info.

I'm so excited!

Disney4us2
11-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Lynn, You are going to love it. So jealous...lol

Melanie
11-27-2013, 10:07 AM
We just returned and it's such a great resort. You'll love it!

dvcmember83
12-28-2013, 04:35 PM
About 3 years ago I booked a reservation at the Grand Californian about 5 months out. All I could get at that time was a 2 bedroom. It was pricy in the way of points, but we had a fabulous time!

chefmickey3
12-31-2013, 08:15 AM
I just got the first week at GCV! Now in a week I need to try for the last two days but at least the first week is good. I feel like we can start planning and dreaming now. I haven't used a Birnbaum book in more than 5 years because we know DW so well. So happy!

VWL Mom
12-31-2013, 10:04 AM
I just got the first week at GCV! Now in a week I need to try for the last two days but at least the first week is good. I feel like we can start planning and dreaming now. I haven't used a Birnbaum book in more than 5 years because we know DW so well. So happy!

:thumbsup:

If you extending your reservation I though you could call back the next day to add a night?

chefmickey3
01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
VWL Mom - thanks for all of the support - you were correct. I called back in two days and added on the next two nights. All one ressie - 9 nights - we are so excited!!!!!!!

VWL Mom
01-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Glad it worked out for you. We're excited for our trip too, the last time we were in DL was 1998 and my boys were 3 and 7, now one will be graduating from HS and the other from college. They were kind of bummed to hear that the Nemo sub closed this week but are looking forward to the long lost Mr. Toad.

tikiman
01-08-2014, 10:00 AM
It really depends on the time of year, since there are so few units. That being said, I've never had an issue when booking at 7 months out. I'm on the phone as soon as they open.

Good luck. Best DVC - hands down! :mickey:

I’m just curious as to why you say it is the best DVC? We just returned from there on Sunday and I have been considering purchasing DVC when the Polynesian one opens but I have to say that the 3 times we have stayed at the GC have been just ok. What did I miss?

Carol
01-23-2014, 08:08 AM
I’m just curious as to why you say it is the best DVC? We just returned from there on Sunday and I have been considering purchasing DVC when the Polynesian one opens but I have to say that the 3 times we have stayed at the GC have been just ok. What did I miss?
I guess, it's a matter of opinion. Number one reason is the fact that it's in Disneyland. I much prefer that over WDW. Not a fan of endless hours of transporting. Hence, hands down it's the best for me.

As far as the villa experience, additional bathroom in the living area, Decor, rooms overlook the theme park, you are actually IN the park and the murphy bed -- to name a few.

tikiman
01-24-2014, 10:39 AM
I guess, it's a matter of opinion. Number one reason is the fact that it's in Disneyland. I much prefer that over WDW. Not a fan of endless hours of transporting. Hence, hands down it's the best for me.

As far as the villa experience, additional bathroom in the living area, Decor, rooms overlook the theme park, you are actually IN the park and the murphy bed -- to name a few.

I was just wondering because out of all the times we have stayed at the GC I think it has a nice theme and the lobby looks great but I was underwhelmed by the room. The location is nice but even with its entrance into the park, most early mornings we had to walk out to DTD and to the main entrance because the line to get in from the hotel was backed up all the way to the lobby and hardly moving.

Food is ok but its quick service had nothing that appealed to me so we went out to DTD to eat or over to Tangaroa Terrace at the Disneyland Hotel. The bar there does not even compare to Trader Sam’s and the pool for our family was our least favorite out of any Disney Resort we have been to in CA, FL or Hawaii. The slide was so slow that my 8 year old had to push himself down it. Almost everyone on the slide thought it was a joke that it was so slow. The pool deck gets shaded by all the buildings early in the day and the hot tub was cold and full of kids. We love our pool time but it was not worth the effort to go down there. Unless your valet (which we did) you have to park across the street and coming and going with valet took forever. We keep trying it again and again to see if we just had an out of the ordinary experience but after this being our 4th time we will not be back.

Melanie
01-24-2014, 11:45 AM
tikiman, did you stay in the Villas, or just in a regular room? If a regular room, I totally agree with you. But the Villas are AMAZING. As for amenities, I enjoy the restaurants and lounges there, and Whitewater Snacks is a favorite of mine for a quick something. I love the theming and the lobby is gorgeous. We've had days where the line at the resort entrance was very long, but in my experience, it always moved fairly quickly. I do agree with you that the pool isn't the most exciting.

I too enjoy all the things at the Disneyland Hotel, although I loved it when it was Neverland themed with the Lost Bar. The best thing is that it's Disneyland - everything is so close that it's just a hop, skip and jump to a new theme/experience. Love that!

tikiman
01-24-2014, 01:23 PM
tikiman, did you stay in the Villas, or just in a regular room? If a regular room, I totally agree with you. But the Villas are AMAZING. As for amenities, I enjoy the restaurants and lounges there, and Whitewater Snacks is a favorite of mine for a quick something. I love the theming and the lobby is gorgeous. We've had days where the line at the resort entrance was very long, but in my experience, it always moved fairly quickly. I do agree with you that the pool isn't the most exciting.

I too enjoy all the things at the Disneyland Hotel, although I loved it when it was Neverland themed with the Lost Bar. The best thing is that it's Disneyland - everything is so close that it's just a hop, skip and jump to a new theme/experience. Love that!

Both, but I can’t say I disliked the room as much as it just was not my favorite villa I have seen. Most of my dislike was for the facilities themselves and what they had to offer. We have enjoyed our stays over at the Disneyland hotel much more and when it comes to Villas I like the Bay Lake, GF and Aulani better.

I really did not like Whitewater Snacks and was missing Tangaroa Terrace. The pool is a huge thing for us and it really was one of the less impressive pools I have seen at any Disney resort.

As for the lobby it is definitely the best thing about the place but for the added cost I feel we enjoy the DL hotel much more and the walk only adds on a few minutes.

It is great that things are so close at DL and it looks like even staying at the Paradise Pier is convenient. We spend most of our long days in the parks, relaxing on the patio of Trader Sam’s so having a room close to that is a bonus.

It really is personal preference but I think the Polynesian resort is the best Disney Resort for me but I would not think it was the best for everyone. I am sure there are many that disagree with me about the GC but I just wanted to share my experience and see if there was something I missed.

Carol
01-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Without a doubt, Steve. The Polynesian remains my favorite WDW resort. However, if given the choice between going to DL or WDW, I'm going to Disneyland. :cool: (I too love the DLH, but I was simply speaking about villas.)

Lindsey310
01-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Is it possible to rent dvc points for the Disneyland hotel? I checked and all I could find was the villas at the grand Californian. And I thought the points (compared to disney) were high! For instance, for the same week at WDW it was only 50 points at OKW or AKL and it was 100 points at VGC. :blush:

14 days until we're back at AKL!!!! :joy:

VWL Mom
01-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Is it possible to rent dvc points for the Disneyland hotel? I checked and all I could find was the villas at the grand Californian. And I thought the points (compared to disney) were high! For instance, for the same week at WDW it was only 50 points at OKW or AKL and it was 100 points at VGC. :blush:

14 days until we're back at AKL!!!! :joy:

Points for the DL hotel range from 32 to 56 points per night for a standard view and 36 to 68 points per night for a premium view.

VGC points are higher than OKW but are in line with BLT and VGF. AKV depends on the room type.

Have a wonderful trip!!