PDA

View Full Version : Debbie Downers

baldburke
11-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Is it me or is this site being taken over by a bunch of Debbie Downers?

It's too hot, it's too crowded, my favorite ride wasn't working when I visited, it costs too much, I don't get enough, nothing's been updated, there are too many changes, I don't like FastPass, I don't like my room or I don't like Disney!

I know this site is to get info and constructively discuss what I thought was the most magical place on Earth, not to trash it.

Does anyone else see this too? Can anyone restore my faith in Disney? Maybe I just need another board? We've been with Intercot for years and have always found it to be a great place for people to ask questions and share experiences, but lately it seems so negative.

retiredfigment
11-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Amen! 26 days, can't wait! I will soon be at my happy place. Even trying to keep an open mind about Fast Pass +

#1donaldfan
11-05-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm with ya !! There are a lot of negative posts, threads and comments, yet the family of Disney crazed people here see things that are "wrong" and we just want to vent about them......I figure 98% of us here still love Disney, just want it to continue to be perfect !!:thumbsup:

Terra
11-05-2013, 01:41 PM
I agree as well!:mickey:
As a local who 1-2 times monthly and then does little mini trips, It's still a great place. The only thing I'm nervous about is the new DAC/old GAC mainly for my special needs son [see my post in NR&I].

And of course I worry a tad as a local about wait times for us during all this testing phase. That said....I still find my escape from reality there and every.single.time I set foot on Disney property I swear it's like the real world disappears and all is right with life :)

I'm actually going for an overnight Nov. 16th for my son's birthday and then the last week in March 2014 we are going for the week! :)

VWL Mom
11-05-2013, 01:42 PM
The main problem I have right now with Disney is that I don't have another trip booked yet. :(

Terra
11-05-2013, 01:58 PM
:)Get to booking!! ;)

faline
11-05-2013, 01:58 PM
With all the new policies and changes Disney has been making over the last few months, there is a lot of confusion and a lack of solid information.

What I'm seeing lately is a group of folks who are trying to figure out what they need to know in order to continue to enjoy time spent at Disney World.

Until things settle down a bit and folks have the knowledge they need, I think you will continue to see any number of folks which reflect the current state of confusion and frustration these changes have/are creating.

LadyGrimm
11-05-2013, 02:00 PM
I agree. I know I haven't posted here much, but I'm a long time lurker. I think people have a hard time with change, honestly. I get all the apprehension, especially about FP+ which is a HUGE change, but it's a testing phase. Testing - i.e., expect things to change about it. And the fact that Disney keeps pushing back the expected full implementation of the system says to me that they are aware of the problems and they are working to find solutions.

Everyone just calm down! It's all going to be ok!

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
11-05-2013, 02:43 PM
I agree. I know I haven't posted here much, but I'm a long time lurker. I think people have a hard time with change, honestly. I get all the apprehension, especially about FP+ which is a HUGE change, but it's a testing phase. Testing - i.e., expect things to change about it. And the fact that Disney keeps pushing back the expected full implementation of the system says to me that they are aware of the problems and they are working to find solutions.

Everyone just calm down! It's all going to be ok!

I'm with you LadyGrimm. I remember when Fastpass was announced, I thought that it wouldn't work. Disney even called me and asked my opinion. People need to take a chill pill. The finished product will make everyone's vacation time so much more enjoyable.

wilcat
11-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I agree that the posts lately seem to be on the negative trend. I hope new folks on the board understand that for the verteran WDW and DW folks change is hard. I personally think all (ok most) of the issues with FP+ are just glitches and will be worked out before the final launch. I don't use FP because when I am on vacation I want to do things as they come along not be tied to a certain park or time. If I see the lines are too long I just mosey back at a later time in the day. No big deal. WDW is still and always will be my get away place. I just relax and enjoy all the magic that Walt gave us.

KylesMom
11-05-2013, 03:32 PM
I would agree that change, coupled with recent member experiences and Disney's constant tweaking of several new programs has more than a few members frustrated and angry. I don't know if it's so much as "Debbie Downers", but perhaps its the comfort we feel on this site to vent to our fellow Disney friends that will understand our frustrations in the changes that are constantly occurring right now. Why do we vent? Because we all love Disney - and what it represents to each of us and our families. We don't want to see our perfect place turn into an un-magical place wrought with a myriad of issues before our vacations even start. And let's face it - we're talking about being invested both financially and emotionally when a Disney vacation is on the horizon.

While FP+ and its functionality are still in the testing phase, anyone who is traveling in the coming weeks - or has traveled recently - has been directly affected by these changes . . . . and from what I have read & heard, in a not-so-positive manner in many cases.

I hope that Disney is able to work out all of these kinks in short order so that the uncertainly is taken out of the equation for our members traveling to Disney soon. In the meantime, let's just keep supporting and encouraging each other that . . . .

There's a GREAT Big Beautiful Tomorrow - Shining At The End of Every Day :mickey:

joonyer
11-05-2013, 04:40 PM
People Love Nostalgia. :cloud9:
Change? Not so much, especially when it's happening. :mad:

And our love for nostalgia tends to cloud our memories. I love the magical memories of my first trips to WDW so much, that I tend to forget the negative things about those early days.
Remember paying for every single ride you took? Remember when there was no such thing as Fast Passes, when everybody had to wait in the same long line, sometime up to 2 hours for the Mountains?
We tend to forget about those things when we wax nostalgic about the good old days.
But bring up a suggestion of changing something that we've now gotten used to?
Wait just a dadgum minute. We don't like change, why in my day . . . . .
Well, you get the drift. We don't like change when it's about to happen, even though some of the best things we like about WDW were the result of change, back in the day.

I say all that to say this. Give us a little break. Intercot is a place where we can gripe about change as it is proposed and is happening, and then we can all talk about how good it was if it all works out. And It usually does. If it doesn't, then we all get to say "I told you so".

And life, and WDW, goes on. It is not the same as it used to be, no matter how much we want it to be, and it never will be. Otherwise, nostalgia would be worthless. :)

buzznwoodysmom
11-05-2013, 05:15 PM
While FP+ and its functionality are still in the testing phase, anyone who is traveling in the coming weeks - or has traveled recently - has been directly affected by these changes . . . . and from what I have read & heard, in a not-so-positive manner in many cases.

This!!!

When we booked our vacation way back in May there really was no way of knowing what the testing of this new system would be like, how long it would take, or what problems would arise. We just so happen to be going on a large family trip, during a busy holiday week, right in the middle of all this testing. I don't ever intend to be a "Debbie Downer", but when combined our group is spending close to $20,000 for this trip and we are having so many issues just planning before we even step foot on property then of course it's understandable to not be particularly happy at what is currently going on. Testing or not it has affected the planning part of our trip, and not in a positive way. I can only hope that things go smoother once we arrive.

We have my FIL who uses the GAC which is now not nearly as convenient as it was for him back in Feb. We are dealing with the mess that is FP+, and it appears that our resort, POR,is only about 40% complete on the new refrigerator replacement. It looks like the new refrigerators might be in by late Nov, but who knows if they'll be installed during our stay. It's just a lot of things added together that make for a more stressful trip, and vacation is not supposed to be so stressful!

brownie
11-05-2013, 05:48 PM
The main problem I have right now with Disney is that I don't have another trip booked yet. :(

:ditto:

yjgirl32
11-05-2013, 06:38 PM
People are just being way too negative. I love so many things about Disney that even if one or two of them are not so great(ex. lines for rides) I would move on and do my other favorite things about Disney. Have a back-up plan and maybe then you will still enjoy your trip.

TheVBs
11-06-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't think people reporting problems with their trips count as downers, as long as it's constructive.

What genuinely puzzles me is the people who consistently report how miserable their trips are, how Disney doesn't deserve their money anymore, but still go every year!! :confused: If someone genuinely feels WDW isn't worth their vacation money, then goes to spend it somewhere else, I respect that fully. But don't keep going back then wallowing in the negative ad nauseum.

NJGIRL
11-06-2013, 09:51 AM

Exactly....We are not talking about one or two attractions being down while on vacation....On two of the days we were there it was an absolute mess. We are talking being there at park opening and only getting on two attractions by noon. I talked to one family who saved for a Disney trip (their only) for years. They spent thousands of dollars and were so upset. They may never get to go back. I think it is fair to be critical of their experience. As a return guest our experience was one of the most stressful vacations, I have ever been on.

So many people that we spoke to in the parks were having the same exact experience. It is not about being afraid of change. It is about shelling out a lot of money and not everyone being able to use the system. We saw a lot of double dipping. People with reserved magic band fast passes and still getting paper fast passes.

I don't know how this is all going to work out...I hope for the best, but as of right now unless you have the opportunity to reserve your fast passes ahead of time, I don't believe the money you are paying for a Disney vacation is worth it.

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
11-06-2013, 10:28 AM
I appreciate everyone's opinion on Disney. Not everyone's visit there is as magical as everyone would expect it to be. From these posts I learn allot of things and maybe what to do and what not to do on a next visit. I don't take any of it as being a Debbie Downer.