PDA

View Full Version : Water in the park

joyrob18
11-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi everyone,

Getting ready for our trip on Saturday!! I had a wuestion about water. We go through a lot! Do they have water fountains at the parks? Or do you have to constantly buy water which I am sure would add up quickly??

Thank you!

DizneyFreak2002
11-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Hi everyone,

Getting ready for our trip on Saturday!! I had a wuestion about water. We go through a lot! Do they have water fountains at the parks? Or do you have to constantly buy water which I am sure would add up quickly??

Thank you!

There are water fountains, but why would you want to drink out of them? 50,000 people with access, sick kids and adults coughing and sneezing and spitting up into and on them.. Yuck... Just buy a bottle of water... :)

Scar
11-04-2013, 01:03 PM
You can also bring water bottles into the parks.

disney_daddy
11-04-2013, 01:28 PM
If it's really hot they'll just give you ice water at the different concession stands if you asked for it. Never had any problems. Don't know if they do that everyday, but we just went last month and had no trouble getting ice water.

Capt_redshirt
11-04-2013, 01:47 PM
If it's really hot they'll just give you ice water at the different concession stands if you asked for it. Never had any problems. Don't know if they do that everyday, but we just went last month and had no trouble getting ice water.

on the really hot days the week in oct i was there they were giving out ice water to those waiting in line for Be Our Guest

Ms. Mode
11-04-2013, 02:38 PM
There are water fountains, but why would you want to drink out of them? 50,000 people with access, sick kids and adults coughing and sneezing and spitting up into and on them.. Yuck... Just buy a bottle of water... :)

Yes, and if you have the DDP you can get a bottle of water as a snack. :thumbsup:

JMTStone
11-04-2013, 02:47 PM
We normally stay at a DVC resort and I admit, I'm one of the cheapies that buy a case of bottled water. I freeze them. I put it in my bag (next to the fruits and veggies) and it thaws out through the day. Sometimes I'm carrying around a few and it gets a bit heavy but I think its worth it to have ICE COLD water. Especially when the little ones get overheated. That bottle on the back of their neck is a miracle!

1DisneyNut
11-04-2013, 02:47 PM
I use the fountains all the time but my wife and kids won't touch them for the reasons already mentioned. I have never gotten sick while I was there but I rarely get sick and I contribute it to having a robust immune system due to my blatant disregard to all of the things other people do to try to "avoid germs." Have you ever noticed that the people that constantly use hand sanitizers and open public doors with a napkin are the ones that get every cold that comes along?

Anyone considering using the fountains should know that ground water in Florida contains sulfur and it is very noticable in the drinking water at WDW. You will taste it and if you have never been exposed to it you will think it is the nastiest stuff ever. It may even have the sulfur rotten eggs smell. I grew up in a rural area and our well water contained some sulfur so it doesn't bother me too much. A good side effect is when you drink it, mosquitos won't hardly bite you as they apparently can smell it or something.

We have also gotten free ice water at the concession stands in the past but my wife and kids won't drink that either because of the sulfur. They either bring or buy bottled water.

Basket Mommy
11-04-2013, 03:57 PM
We always take two hard plastic refillable water bottles to the parks & refill them at the fountains when they're empty. In all our years of going to WDW, only one of us (my younger son) has ever gotten a stomach bug while we were there.

Pirate Granny
11-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Most of the "free" water that they gave you tastes horrible...UGH:(:ack:

LVT
11-05-2013, 07:21 AM
My family uses them continually without trouble. My kids complained when young, but I did not give them an option. They had no trouble after knowing that that was the way the water tasted/smelled and that it was OK. Some things are for health and not up to debate on preference or taste.

mydisneygirls
11-05-2013, 09:32 AM
We always ask for an ice water at a quick service restaurant and it tastes perfectly fine to us. If you ask for it, they have to give it to you.

SueQ
11-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I thought of bringing small Brita water filter containers and some Crystal Light water packets. My hubby does not usually drink plain water.

#1donaldfan
11-05-2013, 01:01 PM
You can get ice water nearly anywhere, just have to ask for it. It still has the sulfur taste, but it's wet !! :mickey:

BelleBeauty
11-05-2013, 03:30 PM
There are new really inexpensive water bottles that are a thing plastic and very light. They aren't great at insulation, but they have filters in the cap without being bulky. So you can fill up at fountains and get filtered water! I LOVE them!

Basket Mommy
11-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Most of the "free" water that they gave you tastes horrible...UGH:(:ack:

I don't notice a taste at all. I've never been bothered by the water out of the fountains at the parks. Water is my beverage of choice (aside from a daily cup of coffee) so maybe I'm just used to water & that's why I don't notice a taste. I rarely drink soda, and only have iced tea when we dine out.

joonyer
11-05-2013, 04:50 PM

Not to mention the handrails. Boogers everywhere! Yikes.

If you are a germaphobe, then visiting a theme park is the last thing you want to do.

Seriously though, just don't lick the water fountains, and don't put you fingers in your mouth after touching the handrails, and you'll be fine. You are much more likely to get sick from something you eat.

That said, the natural water in central Florida has a sulfur odor. It's harmless, but a little off-putting if you are not used to it.

texas211
11-05-2013, 08:41 PM
There are new really inexpensive water bottles that are a thing plastic and very light. They aren't great at insulation, but they have filters in the cap without being bulky. So you can fill up at fountains and get filtered water! I LOVE them!

We use those, or carry our Geigerrig backpacks. They are awesome.. Way better than camel backs.

PETE FROM NYC
11-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I have noticed the bad tasting water many times, and sometimes it seems to change day by day. Sometimes the water don't taste too bad if you can find one of the rare chilled fountains. The best water I had in recent years was in the lobby of Pop.
DW and I are now DVC, and ECV users, so we have a Brita pitcher in our room, and bring a gallon picnic jug full of ice water with us into the parks.

CanadianWDWFan
11-06-2013, 05:21 PM
We use the Brita bottles that have the small filters built in. Never had any issues using the fountains around the parks at all. In fact there is one fountain I always use at MK. The fountain behind Casey's, by the Child care centre is always COLD. The other fountains are usually warm at best.

MargaretMessler
11-07-2013, 07:13 AM
The fountains are all over, but as others have mentioned, Florida water contains some degree of "foul" taste. Some don't mind, some do. And it seems to be more noticeable in some over others.

I usually buy one bottle per day (with the DDP if we have it), then fill it throughout the day but bring various drink mix packets.

GoBlueLacheta
11-08-2013, 07:29 PM
There are water bottles that have built in filters, and we usually utilize these or bring bottles in our small bag.

The water fountains are not the sanitarily best option and are "Florida" water so if you are not from there it does have a distinct taste. The key is to find a COLD fountain and it masks much of the mineral taste.

SandmanGStefani24
11-08-2013, 08:17 PM
id almost bite the bullet and pay the money. not for fear of germs but mostly because the water is warm and tastes less than pleasant.

On a hot day, the last thing I want is lukewarm off tasting water. I've done it, don't get me wrong, but I'd prefer not to do it again.

GoldenAurora
11-08-2013, 11:22 PM
I used to bring chilled water bottles with me to the parks but have gotten lazy as of late. Now I'll just buy a bottle or use the fountains. Being from NYC, I'm used to having the "best" filtered, fluoride filled water, but the sulfur in the Florida water doesn't bother me. It's just matter of preference.