PDA

View Full Version : Dining thoughts please?

princessimagineer
11-02-2013, 05:32 PM
With Ohana and Beirgarten already our top places-we-will-do-again picks, here is a list of restaurant ideas we want to try for our ADR's on the DDP this May. Thoughts?

-Flying Fish? And how is that versus Coral Reef?

-Tony's Town Square? We are quite picky on Italian food places (the further you get from NYC thing...) but thought this sounded different and fun

-Chefs Des France

-Captains Grill

-Garden Grill

-Be Our Guest, I have read a lot of mixed reviews on already

-Il Mulino (again, the Italian food thing)

chefmickey3
11-02-2013, 05:43 PM
We enjoy Tony's for the convenience. My husband is Italian with wonderful cooks in his family and he likes the food. Our only complaint with Tony's has been the service. Not sure why it is always less than the other restaurants on property.

We ate at Be Our Guest in July and loved it! It is not my favorite type of food but the atmosphere was amazing. I felt like I was transported somewhere else. The service here was impeccable and we can't wait to go back!

I haven't eaten at the other restaurants you are asking about in a couple of years.

*NikkiJ*
11-02-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm hoping Tonys is good, made my ADRs for January and it was one of the few places left in MK for a ts dinner.

The Plaza also has openings but I'm not sure if I change my ADRs...

SBETigg
11-03-2013, 03:21 PM
If you're picky about Italian food, not so sure about Tony's. If you're not that concerned about having a great meal but more into the experience and atmosphere, probably not an issue.

Il Mulino, on the other hand, is supposedly very good for Italian.

Flying Fish is excellent. More expensive than Coral Reef and a finer dining experience. Much better food, IMO, but I've only had one experience at Coral Reef and it was beyond terrible. I've been to Flying Fish a few times and had great experiences each time.

Chefs de France is a favorite of mine for nostalgia purposes (honeymoon memories). I love the atmosphere and have been many times through the years, and in truth it can be really good or meh. I think they're on the upswing again.

I would try Be Our Guest just to get in and look around, but I don't think it would be too bad. Haven't been to eat, but it is pretty neat to see.

Captain's Grill and Garden Grill, I don't have experiences with either one.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-03-2013, 05:27 PM
We didn't like Tonys it was bland tasteless food our service was good and dessert was good entrees not ....

Chefs De France-we thought it was good wouldn't call it great though

PETE FROM NYC
11-03-2013, 05:46 PM
From a NYC Italian-American.

There ain't any Italian food in Florida.

princessimagineer
11-03-2013, 06:34 PM

There ain't any Italian food in Florida.

agreed.... but I can't help but feel like there are not a whole lot of good table service options within MK (we have exhausted Liberty Tree Tavern and did not really like Cinderella's Royal Table). Were willing to do one of the resorts around MK, but thought at least one dinner would be nice to just stay in MK.

NJGIRL
11-03-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm an Italian from NJ, I think I know what you expect when eating Italian food....We ate at Tony's only once. It was the only meal I have had in Disney that I can honestly say was bad. Overpriced Ragu. Don't think you will like it.

Scar
11-03-2013, 08:10 PM

There ain't any Italian food in Florida.Pete,

Have you ever eaten at Il Mulino? I haven't, but every review I've ever read say's it is great. I'd be interested in hearing your review.

SBETigg
11-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Pete,

Have you ever eaten at Il Mulino? I haven't, but every review I've ever read say's it is great. I'd be interested in hearing your review.

Not to mention it's pretty much the same as Il Mulino in NYC, which is a well-respected Italian restaurant by NY standards.

amorillo
11-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Another Italian girl here.... We finally tried Tony's October 2012.... We crossed it off our "tried it" list but will be in no hurry to go back. The restaurant was pretty, service was good, food was just ok.....

We haven't tried Flying Fish, but Coral Reef was a huge let down on our last trip. It was our second time dining here (we had booked it for our last WDW meal because we had loved it so much on our last visit). But no one was happy with their meal this time... just so-so.

Chefs de France- We've been here several times and even with all of the picky eaters; we've never had a complaint! Yummy.

Garden Grill- It's been a few trips since we've been here... but the food was good and character interaction was awesome.

We have yet to try any of the others you mentioned.

Susan A
11-05-2013, 04:03 PM
We LOVE the Garden Grill!

We like the selection of food. Who doesn't like turkey and stuffing? Sounds funny but we loved the rolls and the honey butter. We are there two weeks ago. We took the left over rolls with us.

The salad and their dressing is really fresh. One year I had a Mickey shaped cucumber from the garden in the Land.

Dessert: great. The kids got cake and icing shaped and decorated like an ice cream cone.

Characters, also great. Pluto visited us three times!!!!:mickey:

rjmdds
11-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Flying Fish is one of our favorites. It is an excellent dining experience. Great atmosphere too with the open kitchen.

Pocahontas
11-05-2013, 07:21 PM
We ate at Tony's for the first time earlier this year and we all enjoyed our meal; however when making ADRs for our upcoming trip none of us suggested this restaurant.

We haven't eaten dinner at Be Our Guest, but did have lunch there and we all said it was one of our favorite counter service meals and a must do for our next trip.

mydisneygirls
11-05-2013, 07:27 PM
We have only eaten at three of these places. Chefs De France (twice). The first time we thought it was okay (maybe because I had a glass of wine with the meal). The second time, didn't like it at all. Would I call this authentic French food, NO.

Garden Grill - ate here once and that was it.

Captain's Grille (twice). Absolutely loved it. I have to say that both times we went, we had the steak. It was cooked to perfection and you could cut it with your fork!!!! And the smores dessert was the best I had the entire trip. This place is now a must do each trip.

We have never tried Italian restaurants....probably because of me. I'm a very picky Italian when it comes to pasta!

princessimagineer
11-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all the advice! With monday being our 180 days, here is our official list:

Be Our Guest, with Tony's and the backup (We have a funny feeling BOG will book FAST. So if Tony's doesn't end up being up to par, well, things could be worse I guess, we could not be in Disney at all...)

Beirgarten. We love it there, it has become a tradition :mickey:

Flying Fish, with Teppan Edo as backup, we've eaten in Japan before and loved it, but wanted something new

Ohana, also our re-do for this trip. Kona will be back up for that though in case, because we did love the Kona cafe too

Chefs de France, also backup is Teppan Edo

Captain's Grill, with Garden Grill as backup

rjmdds
11-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Nice list. You can't go wrong. Hopefully you get BOG.

FenwayGirl
11-13-2013, 01:14 PM
We loved Garden Grille. The food and the service was outstanding.:thumbsup:

HoosierDisneyFan
11-13-2013, 07:12 PM
We ate at Be Our Guest last Spring for dinner. Great use of Dinning plan credit inside MK! I have the Steak and fries! Very good. My HS age son was less impressed (bad what does he know ;)).

Liselle
11-16-2013, 11:04 PM
I love Chefs de France, Japan has a really good one as well, Whispering Canyon Lodge is a lot fun.

WiltonJohn
11-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Japan at Epcot WS has a very authentic Japanese dining experience available if pretty good accuracy to the actual country is something that interests you. It is NOT the teppan-yaki section (which is very American really)... it is the Tokyo dinning part.

Eaten there a few times. The food was excellent and the presentation was generally good (although in Japan... more small dishes and a variety of ceramic glazes and types of wares would have been used). Waitstaff were very attentive and polite (as you would expect).

They have a reasonable sake menu too (try the "flight" of sake... samples of different types). Not great though ... there are hundreds of sake makers in Japan ....all different. But in the US... hard to find a large assortment.

If you can, try to get a table overlooking the landscaped trees in the front and the Torri gate and the lake. And if it is also raining....... so much the better.

The one thing I found really missing there is small tatami matted and shoji screened rooms for a small party with a low table and sitting on the floor. But at such a large operation....... easy to understand why not.

The one REAL un-Japan-like distraction there is that, in general, Americans are really loud. Japan is generally quiet in such public spaces (except for pachinko parlors). Very obtrusive on the dining experience.

But that is true in all of the eating places at Disney. Comes with the territory, I guess.

best,

................john

PS: I spend quite a bit of time in Japan and speak the language reasonably enough.

SBETigg
11-17-2013, 08:18 PM
I love Tokyo Dining. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. I haven't been to Japan, so really don't know how authentic it is, but I do know I enjoy it. It really can get loud, though, yes.