PDA

View Full Version : Back from the world

Lindsey310
11-01-2013, 04:55 PM
We have been back a week now so I thought I would update you on what new restaurants we tried/experiences with FPP and Magic bands!

Planet Hollywood: a first night tradition that was good as always.

Raglan road: ate here on the second night before the Halloween party. Food was good, this was the first time trying it and won't rush to go back. Atmosphere and dancers were great.

Mickeys not so scary Halloween party: this was mobbed but so fun!!! This was a first for us but I would def do it again! The parade was literally the best parade I have ever seen in my life and hallowishes was exceptional too. Rides that are normally long waits were a walk on even though it was super busy. We missed the dance parties and the villians tonight stage show so I would do it again, maybe one more time!

Sanaa: while the atmosphere is beautiful and the floor to ceiling savannah view can't be beat, I left feeling underwhelmed. Maybe I'm too picky of an eater?? My husband loved it but I can cross it off the list now.

Keys to the kingdom tour: our two guides were fantastic and we left with a lot of new info (that's saying something for seasoned disney vets!!) while some parts were interesting, some were kind of boring. I wanted to do it and I'm glad I did but once is def enough. Everyone should do it at least once!

Via Napoli: consistently good. Yummy.

Food and wine: mobbed with people!!!!! I'm not sure if it was the particular week or what but it was crazy!!! Lines were long and people everywhere so hard to really enjoy it.

Old key west: beautiful. Large, spacious rooms. But for a resort that just went a refurb not too long ago, there was a tear in the carpet. Also the mouse keeping did a not so good job of cleaning up after the previous guest left: soda left in refrigerator? Gross.

Art of animation: while we only stayed one night, it was good. The theming is adorable and the LM standard rooms while small are good for a budget conscious family. The beds were hard as a rock, full size and the no ceiling fan was a bummer but we made do for one night. Hope this resort doesn't turn into pop or all stars in terms of being run down, it's still new looking.

FPP: ok. We couldn't make our selections until after we got down there bc of having to link our tickets. I found the good times were already taken but modified the times once we got into the parks and depending on where we were and that worked. Not sure if I would have that much success when everyone is participating. I also found that the big rides (toy story, SOARIN etc) had NO FAST PASSES left when we arrived to the park shortly after opening.

Magic bands: I liked them. Easy to get in and out of resorts and into the rooms. Didn't link a cc so I didn't charge anything back to the room.

Overall another great trip for the books! We only did 2/4 theme parks so it left me un satisfied. We will be going back down in 99 days!!!! :mickey:

BrowncatP
11-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the report. I too start with Planet Hollywood on the first night. Are we some of the few who like PH? Since you are going back soon, you dont have to suffer with the WDW withdraws!:crying:

Lindsey310
11-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the report. I too start with Planet Hollywood on the first night. Are we some of the few who like PH? Since you are going back soon, you dont have to suffer with the WDW withdraws!:crying:

I think we are one of the last few who like it :thumbsup: I always find it consistently good :eat:

Yes super excited to go back in February!!!! :mickey:

Susan A
11-01-2013, 09:04 PM
It looks like we were there the same week as you. We were there 10/18 to 10/25.

I agree that the food and wine was crowded. I didn't try any foods this year because the lines were too long. We saw a few shows around the world and left area.

lawgirl
11-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the report! Just curious, so there are kiosks for the magic bands in the parks? How crowded were they, and was it pretty easy to make fastpass+ changes?

I agree with Sanaa. Its one of our all-time favorite restaurants, but we happen to LOVE Indo-African inspired food and eat it alot at home. But for a picky eater, I can definitely see where it wouldn't be a top choice. I find that the menu at Jiko seems to be a little less exotic, and might be a better choice for you next time.

Sounds like you had a great trip!

Lindsey310
11-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the report! Just curious, so there are kiosks for the magic bands in the parks? How crowded were they, and was it pretty easy to make fastpass+ changes?

I agree with Sanaa. Its one of our all-time favorite restaurants, but we happen to LOVE Indo-African inspired food and eat it alot at home. But for a picky eater, I can definitely see where it wouldn't be a top choice. I find that the menu at Jiko seems to be a little less exotic, and might be a better choice for you next time.

Sounds like you had a great trip!

Thanks for the recommendation on Jiko!! I will give it a shot for sure!
For the switching of the times, I used the MDE app on my iPhone, it was super easy and I just clicked on modify the time/experience. I didn't use the kiosks but I did see them and they weren't ever busy...I guess a lot of people have smartphones and disney is encouraging you to use those...plus it's a lot more convenient to just hop on your phone vs finding a kiosk. For people like my dad who doesn't have a smartphone the kiosk would be the only option (or the hotel concierge could do it for you too) and there is always a cast member around to help.

I loved the magic bands but I'm torn on the FPP. for instance, my parents did not have magic bands but my husband and I did. The cast members still let my parents through with us on all the rides we had FPP for but if they wanted to get a FP for a popular ride (toy story, SOARIN etc) they were gone at 9:20 am!!! Blame the FPP for those :confused:

98 days!!!!! :mickey: