PDA

View Full Version : Halloween

droopy d.
10-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Here in good old Indiana they cancelled trick or treating scheduled for tonite and changed it to tomorrow because of the storms coming through today!

VWL Mom
11-01-2013, 06:12 AM
I hope the storms passed and you can hold your trick or treat tonight :ghost: :pumpkin::witch::frank:

princessgirls
11-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Sorry to hear that!!!!

The last 2 years here in Northern NJ have been rough... In 2011 we had "Frankenstorm" a freak snow storm that dumped a foot of snow on trees that still have leaves, making them very heavy, and down they came....along with the power.
2012 was Sandy, and it was epic. My neighborhood was in the dark for 2 weeks. No lights=not safe.
The town did set up a trunk or treat...it wasn't the same though...everyone was so out of it, from not having power!
This year was GAME ON!!!!!!!
Julie:mickey:

Mr. Brass Bonanza
01-10-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm really late on this one but wanted to chime in. First, I had never heard that freak snowstorm called Frankenstorm before. I love it! We didn't love the storm, though. That thing knocked down trees everywhere and all night all people heard was cracking here and cracking there. It was so strange to see colors under the snow on the trees. I hope to never see that again! Our town didn't cancel Halloween but they strongly discouraged it. They have trick or treating in a large strip mall complex every Halloween, so we went to that, and then to just two houses in our neighborhood of close friends. We were one of the few areas in town that never lost power. We lost cable, internet, and phones for four days, but we had our cell phones and charged them in the car. I would much rather have power and be warm than the other services...which would not have been useful without power anyway. My brother's house in the next town got so cold he had to leave for a couple of days.

Superstorm Sandy didn't affect us very much, which is crazy because we are only about 100 miles away from the hardest hit area. Tropical Storm Irene hit us worse, but again...we didn't lose power. So for those three storms, we never lost power. But we did for four hours a couple of weeks ago on a sunny day some unkown reason. It was the first time we lost power in six years. We live in some kind of power cocoon I guess.

Also, I never knew until a few years ago that not every community does their trick or treating on Halloween night. Some do it during the day--like in E.T.--and some on the closest weekend. That seems so foreign to me! I've only known trick or treating at night, so it would be way too strange to do it any other way. What about anyone else?