PDA

View Full Version : A good time but...!

K8screen
10-29-2013, 09:30 AM
We were in Orlando from 10/17 to 10/26 and though as a long time Disney fan it grieves me to say this, the days we spent at Universal and IoA were much the best in every way. Lines at WDW were ridiculously long, DD1 who last visited 20 years ago saw little change at the parks, and the new little mermaid ride is hardly inspiring. At universal however almost everything was nearly walk on till 11am. Harry Potter and rip ride rocket amongst others are wonderful and truly ground breaking. The food was also better and more varied, the standard at WDW is I suspect held back by the fact that the dining plan gives them a captive audience. I am afraid WDW has dropped way down my list of priorities for future visits.

Maggie T
10-29-2013, 10:26 AM
We were at Disney about the same time and did not like the crowds. Been going this same time of the year on most of our trips and it gets worse every year. The mnsshp was just as bad if not worse. Our meals and most of the CM were fine but way to many people. Universal is OK and we will go there a day or two next year but we are not given up on Disney yet.

minnie04
10-29-2013, 01:11 PM
We were also there this past weekend and I have to say, I was feeling the same way you are. My older kids loved Universal. I was not surprised at the crowds at WDW, but just the people. We ran into a lot of RUDE people this trip. People skipping in line if you turned your back for a moment. Just nasty attitudes all over. I guess when my AP end in March we will look into Universal, Sea World & Busch Gardens for next year... sad to say good bye, but it's just not the same anymore. I had to go to Guest services for a minute and while I waited in line. I heard so many people complaining about the FP system. They were upset that by 11.00am all the fast passes for the day were gone (park closed at 6:00pm). I could understand this as well. We only rode two rides in a 5 hour visit. It doesn’t bother me as much because we live close and can visit more often, but for people that come once a year or even a life time. It would be really upsetting to pay the amount of a park ticket to only ride one or two or even three rides in a day. I get it, if you stay on property you can book fast passes in advance, but not everyone can afford resort prices. I guess we will just take a few days off during a week if we plan to come back and hopefully that will be better. Next trip is in a week and I’m not sure it’s going to be worth it, since it’s a long holiday weekend..

Capt_redshirt
10-29-2013, 04:50 PM
I was there the same time you are but i must have chosen the right parks on the right days cause except for certain rides (soarin' being one) most waits were no more then an hour(with the majority of the rides being 15 to 25 mins. while some fast passes were used up relatively quickly i was finding that i still had access to FP+ when the paper system was all out. I did notice a large increase of people from 2 years ago. it seems there is no more quiet time of year. I wont give up on disney. Its my home away from home. and i would try universal but for me i cant justify their price tag when i'm not a thrill junkie

MizMissy
10-29-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm glad you had fun on at least part of your trip!

I am the only Disney fan left in my family. My kids are thrill ride junkies and HUGE Harry Potter fans. They are all about Universal and extremely spoiled by ExpressPass and the ability to ride the rides over and over again. My DH said "no more Disney" after our last trip. We had a great trip, but he said he has spent his last day at Disney. :confused:

However, this year, when we were planning our Universal trip, he asked me if we wanted to add a few Disney days to the trip, but asked "what's new?" I had to say "not much ... just a few things in fantasyland" and my kids are way beyond fantasyland. As a family, we chose a few days at the beach over a few days at WDW.

It's hard not to love Universal. Lots of new and exciting things going on and quickly. My kids are begging to return next year with Diagon Alley being added and the Hogwarts Express.

Another bonus for Universal ... it requires a lot less planning and effort.

kakn7294
10-29-2013, 05:42 PM
I guess it all depends on what you like and how you're treated. I personally love the Little Mermaid ride but I don't need thrill ride after thrill ride to have fun - don't get me wrong, I like those too but I like the tame stuff just as much. I thought Universal's food was lousy and more expensive than Disney and I thought that their employees were much more rude. I got yelled at because I waited in line at Harry Potter with my family to see the inside of the attraction but planned to exit with all of our bags (so we didn't take up a locker that someone else could use). My family was yelled at because they and the lady behind them didn't get on the ride fast enough for the ride operator. My older daughter fell on wet sidewalks at Universal - only one employee came to see if she was ok (multiple people witnessed it) and I think that was only to be sure that we weren't going to sue by the things she said. I'd be happy to never go back to Universal and stick with Disney!

faline
10-29-2013, 07:05 PM
I think Disney is currenly in transition. Transitions are always difficult. Will it be better? Maybe - I hope so - but maybe not. I'm not privvy to Disney's vision for where they want to be - I can only hope it's a place I want to be as well.

While I've enjoyed some pleasurable times at Universal (haven't been for a several years), I've not yet been impressed enough to make that my prime destination on muliple occasions - may be a personal preferance as I am not a big thrill ride fan and enjoy themed rides more. Will I head to Universal again - for sure - but, for moment, my heart is still with Disney.

buzznwoodysmom
10-29-2013, 10:49 PM
I guess it all depends on what you like and how you're treated. I personally love the Little Mermaid ride but I don't need thrill ride after thrill ride to have fun - don't get me wrong, I like those too but I like the tame stuff just as much. I thought Universal's food was lousy and more expensive than Disney and I thought that their employees were much more rude. I got yelled at because I waited in line at Harry Potter with my family to see the inside of the attraction but planned to exit with all of our bags (so we didn't take up a locker that someone else could use). My family was yelled at because they and the lady behind them didn't get on the ride fast enough for the ride operator. My older daughter fell on wet sidewalks at Universal - only one employee came to see if she was ok (multiple people witnessed it) and I think that was only to be sure that we weren't going to sue by the things she said. I'd be happy to never go back to Universal and stick with Disney!

Wow! I am so sorry you had such a bad time at Universal. While Disney is still my family's number 1, Universal is surely closing in with the new HP stuff coming.

We actually found the food at Universal to be better quality than Disney, and I didn't notice any major difference in price. The main thing is universals variety when compared to Disney's "watered down" menus since the dining plan took over.

We love the Universal hotels, and feel we are actually getting more for our $ at the Universal hotels. Don't get me wrong, none of them awe us like Wilderness Lodge, but we find the amenities better for less money than you pay for deluxe at Disney. And the Universal hotel perks far out weigh Disney's onsite perks.

I have heard several times that the Universal employees are rude, but we've just never seen it. The employees, and guests, were all just as nice and friendly as any in Disney.

I guess for us the overall reason we enjoy Universl so much is because it is such an easy place to vacation. We love that there isn't too much to do, and that we can easily walk to everything from our hotel. Recent talk about Universal expansion kinda bums me out actually. I would hate to see it get too big that its no longer as easy and enjoyable to us as it's been thus far.

Also, sorry your daughter slipped and no one seemed to care. I know how that feels. This past Feb. my family and I were taken into the baggage area at WL because we needed one of our bags and our room wasn't ready yet. I slipped on a puddle of water on the floor and neither of the CMs even acknowledged that I slipped. I hurt my knee, yet both CMs just looked at me, then walked away without a word. My thought was the same a yours, I figured they didn't want to acknowledge that I slipped on a wet floor because they were afraid I would sue. I was shocked that neither of them asked if I were OK.

Middle of the Map
10-29-2013, 10:52 PM
I think Disney is currenly in transition.

I'm not sure where exactly Disney is going with these changes, but I am not visiting WDW for the first time in 23 years because of all the rules and regulations that they now impose on visitors.

Dining out must be planned for months in advance, and now the FastPass system is being changed for some reason. There appear to be no "slow" months anymore.

The very things that drew me to Disney in the first place are slowly being eliminated.

K8screen
10-30-2013, 07:38 AM
The only really innovative thing we thought Disney had, and it's not new now, was turtle talk with crush. The FP+ system might be good for those who have it but for the rest of us it meant that even though we got through the gates at DHS on a nonEMH day ten minutes before official opening and ran to TSM the fast pass return time was already 2.30. This had to be due to prebooked FP+ as there weren't that many people ahead of us in the park. Also we saw many wristband failures which slowed down lines even more.

NJGIRL
11-02-2013, 08:55 PM
We were also there the same time and had the very same experience. Disney Studio (Sunday)and EPCOT (Monday) were terrible. All fast passes were gone by 10 in the morning if not before. People using the bands had reserved fast passes and were double dipping with paper fast passes. This was by far the most stressful vacation I have EVER had. Universal on the other hand (Friday & Saturday) was a pleasure.

We have no plans to return to Disney anytime in the near future. I won't be back until this mess gets straighten up.

We have been going to Disney mid to the end of October for 20 years now and yes in the last 5 years it has been getting bad. I refuse to go to EPCOT on a weekend during Food and Wine because of the crowds and drunk people. Monday we didn't have the drunks but very very long lines.

NJGIRL
11-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Another bonus for Universal ... it requires a lot less planning and effort.

This statement is so true! It's just a much easier trip.

You can eat at any table service with very little wait and no advanced planning. The food is varied and really good. You don't have to plan on what attraction and when you want to ride. Even the character interaction is much simpler.

In all the years I have gone I have never encountered a rude employee.

And most of all the Lowe's hotels blow away anything Disney has.

I don't get it when I hear people say the food is more expensive or the park is more expensive than Disney. It's not for us...prices are apple to apples as far as I am concerned.

What I have seen at Disney is a fast pass system that is a mess right now.....guests cutting in line all of the time....and drunk people during Food & Wine.....and Cast members not addressing the issues.

DizneyFreak2002
11-02-2013, 10:42 PM
I thought Universal's food was lousy and more expensive than Disney

Actually, they are on par with each other regarding price (Disney is actually a little more expensive)... Universal is 25 cents more for their bottles of water however...

I thought that their employees were much more rude. I got yelled at because I waited in line at Harry Potter with my family to see the inside of the attraction but planned to exit with all of our bags (so we didn't take up a locker that someone else could use). My family was yelled at because they and the lady behind them didn't get on the ride fast enough for the ride operator. Never ever saw a Team Member yell at people for walking in the queue and not riding... Also, you'd get yelled at at Disney for not loading fast enough as well... Thsi trip, I noticed many more nasty Disney CMs and much nicer Universal Team Members... Not one grumpy bunch in Universal, but most every CM in Disney I encountered was miserable and unfriendly...

My older daughter fell on wet sidewalks at Universal - only one employee came to see if she was ok (multiple people witnessed it) and I think that was only to be sure that we weren't going to sue by the things she said. I'd be happy to never go back to Universal and stick with Disney!Friend of mine slipped on wet sidewalks in Magic Kingdom... not one CM came to her aide... A fellow guest did... Then when the incident was reported, the attitude by the Disney CM was, Did you get hurt? No then move along... Not very Disney if you ask me...

Universal is where it is currently at and going to be for the next 10 years (and more) if they do half of their plan... WDW is losing market share to Universal and will continue to do so... I don't think I have ever heard this much bad word of mouth about WDW ever... WDW is not in transition... They are getting hammered... And rightfully so...

kakn7294
11-07-2013, 04:46 AM
I guess I'm just a die-hard Disney-first fan and Universal just doesn't do it for me. I stand behind my assessment: I don't like Harry Potter (and yes, I have seen several of the movies) so that's certainly not going to draw me in. They took out Jaws, which my daughter and I did like. Too many attractions have such tight-fitting seats / restraints and will NOT embarrass myself trying (I also will not subject myself to attempt the trial seats that are out in public view to see if I'll fit). I fit just fine in everything at WDW - some things are a bit of a squeeze but I've never not fit. I just don't find enough stuff that I'm interested in there to make it worth my money. The food we had in the Seuss section was like eating in a high school cafeteria for more than the cost of food at Disney. All 3 times we've been to Universal or IoA, we've encountered rude employees - while it does happen at Disney, it seems to happen much less often to us at WDW than at Universal.

wilcat
11-07-2013, 02:56 PM
We do not care for Univeral at all!!!! It seems hotter, more crowded and has more rude employees than any bad day at Disney. We have visited there twice and will never return. We love our Disney trips as we can do thrill rides or just meander around as there are many more choices at Disney. Universal is only about go go go and not relaxing at all.

kakn7294
11-07-2013, 03:33 PM
We do not care for Univeral at all!!!! It seems hotter, more crowded and has more rude employees than any bad day at Disney. We have visited there twice and will never return. We love our Disney trips as we can do thrill rides or just meander around as there are many more choices at Disney. Universal is only about go go go and not relaxing at all.

Ah, finally, someone else who agrees with me!!! :thumbsup:

Wayne
11-10-2013, 07:52 PM
On our next trip to Orlando, we will probably visit Universal and not bother going to Disney. I have been going to Disney since 1978 and it pains me to say it, but Disney has just made it too much of a hassle for me to even bother anymore. It's a vacation and I'm just not hip on the idea of planning out the details 6 mos. or more in advance.

If you're into the hassle, then go for it. I'm not, so good riddance.

NJGIRL
11-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Wayne, I think a lot of us are feeling the same way.....Especially those of us that have been there in the last month or two. IMO it was nothing less than a mess. I am still hoping that Disney gets their act together and fixes the mess that they have made.:(

MissMaryPoppins
11-18-2013, 02:02 AM
Last Saturday, 11/9, my Dad and I decided to head over to EPCOT before the food and wine festival ended. What a mistake! We knew it would be crowded but we didn't expect such disorganized chaos and just plain rude guests. We could barely walk in the park. I felt like I was going to be trampled in the Rose & Crown. The lines for all the stands were so disorganized, it looked lines for 2 different stands were merging. There was garbage all over. Way too many drunk people were making scenes and I've never seen so many kids getting yelled at in my life. One woman was screaming into a stroller for the kid inside to "get a grip". We were just hitting Germany and my Dad said "Hey, let's see if we can get a table at the Brown Derby tonight?" I asked him 5 times if he was serious, he assured me he was 5 times and I ran to a corner in a shop in Germany to call. The poor operator who helped me said "are you somewhere busy? It sounds crazy there." I said I was in EPCOT and desperate to get out. Luckily, we got a table and left. We killed the time at Bellevue Lounge in the Boardwalk and then went to the studios early enough to walk through the shops. The way they have you go through to see the Osbourne Lights is such a mess. Everyone just gets jammed up.I've been in the parks at the busiest times of the year and I've never seen it as bad as this time. I will never go to food and wine again, even though I've enjoyed it in the past. I hope some higher up in the parks division sees the problems and fixes them. It's so sad to see Disney World like this.

SurferStitch
11-18-2013, 12:07 PM
The last time (only time) we went to Universal was in late September, 2001. It was a ghost town. Didn't even need the front of the line perk except maybe once.

We liked Universal... didn't love it, but liked it. I'm sure we'd love Harry Potter and the minions, but it's not enough of a draw for me to spend that kind of money for a couple days in the parks.

I don't remember rude employees... just very "blah" employees. They didn't seem engaged, and just did their jobs. No smiles, but no frowns either.

Rides were great, but I'm more about an overall feeling and atmosphere, which WDW excels at. Universal felt very amusement park-ish. Some areas were themed decently, and others were just plain boring. Felt like I was at my amusement park back home.

Food at the Palm was excellent, but all Palms are excellent. Food at Emeril's was pretty decent... not great... must have been an off day. Plus, they lost our reservation I made months in advance. When I showed them my confirmation number, they insisted they didn't have us in the system, and refused to seat us. I then warned the hostess that I could make an incredibly obnoxious scene if the manager wouldn't seat our party of 4. I guess my voice got to a decible range that was the trigger point, and we got a table.

Food was very expensive, but I can't say how much more it seemed than at WDW. Probably the same price, but the park food did not come close to WDW in quality. It was bland at best, but at a steep cost.

We'll stick with WDW and give it some time. If we don't get to ride everything this trip, no big. We'll just do it next trip. I can't get worked up about that.

#1donaldfan
11-18-2013, 12:37 PM
We have started to go to Universal at least one day each trip. We've done Diseny so much, gotten so used to it that "straying" makes it seem much nicer than it really is (Universal). There are few things at Universal I like, included would be several places to eat and the thrill rides.....oh, well the butter beer is incredible. Disney will always be my favorite and although they're doing things we complain about, research, gripe, worry over, and simply just don't like, we have to realize they're in it for the money first !! If they make us happy, they make money. I'm a realist, so realistically, can we assume to think that they can make everyone happy ?? No way. So, I just take things in stride and enjoy each trip like it's my last. :cool:

TheVBs
11-20-2013, 05:01 PM
If your family had a better time at Universal, then they certainly deserve your vacation money.

Arielfan98
11-21-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry for your unfortunate trip. Whenever I go to WDW in late August it is never like this. I do not enjoy Universal because of the lack of theming and bountiful thrill rides which I cannot bare. Glad you had a great time but I could never abandon Disney. Thanks for the input.