PDA

View Full Version : Yeti?

mickclub1955
10-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Hate to bring up a dead topic, but did they ever fix the Yeti? Is he moving or is it still in strobing mode. Also, is the bird working above the broken track. I have only seen him once, the first time I rode the expedition.:yeti:

brownie
10-27-2013, 07:28 AM
The Yeti is down, not dead!

http://www.intercot.com/shop/apparel/yeti.asp

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=194003

WDWdriver
10-27-2013, 09:50 AM
The yeti motion has not been restored, and may never be. But it's position and lighting have been improved so it appears more lifelike than it did with just the strobe lights on it.

The Himalayan condor that once rose into the air beyond the broken track is also not working.

There is another unused visual effect that most people don't know about. There are hundreds of steam ports built into the structure so that it can appear that a mist is rising from the mountain. It hasn't been used in years.

Main Street Jim
10-27-2013, 11:26 AM
From what I understand (and Ron can correct me if I'm wrong):

Expedition: Everest actually consists of three separate building structures.

The first one is the ride track itself - that the trains run on.

The second structure is the "mountain" - otherwise known as the "show building". This houses all the lighting and special effects.

The third structure is actually the platform for the Yeti itself. The thing is so big, if it had been "mounted' to the show building, it would have shaken it apart - when it worked. It ran on 3000 psi of hydraulic pressure. Part of the reason it's been "down" for so long, from what I've seen and read, is that even being on a separate platform didn't help it. It just about shook itself loose from that mount.

#1donaldfan
10-28-2013, 12:30 PM
I am so glad to have seen it working....it's still a great ride !!:mickey:

joonyer
10-28-2013, 12:34 PM
From what I understand (and Ron can correct me if I'm wrong):

Expedition: Everest actually consists of three separate building structures.

The first one is the ride track itself - that the trains run on.

The second structure is the "mountain" - otherwise known as the "show building". This houses all the lighting and special effects.

The third structure is actually the platform for the Yeti itself. The thing is so big, if it had been "mounted' to the show building, it would have shaken it apart - when it worked. It ran on 3000 psi of hydraulic pressure. Part of the reason it's been "down" for so long, from what I've seen and read, is that even being on a separate platform didn't help it. It just about shook itself loose from that mount.

Yeah, somebody dropped the ball on the engineering of the Yeti and its structure. We were lucky enough to have seen it in motion during the first few months EE was opened. His huge arm swooped at the train as you rolled by, it was a pretty scary effect