PDA

View Full Version : Back from my 6 year Disney hiatus

princessimagineer
10-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Can we all agree 6 years is way too long to go without some disney outlet?! :mickey:

So, I have had a few years hiatus from Disney (and Intercot) due to leaving for college back in 2008. The last time my family and I were in WDW was in 2007 (minus the day trip I made to Disneyland Paris while studying abroad in 2012) and, obviously, much has changed since.

We just planned our trip for this May, we will be arriving the 10th and are there for that week, staying in the Beach Club. It is my parents, my sister (26) and my self (23).

I was just wondering if the awesome people of Intercot could update me on a few things:

First general question: How is the weather the second week of May?

MyExperience App: Believe it or not, in 2007, there wasn't all these apps and smart phones. You even had to pay for internet if you wanted it in your room, now it is complimentary! How has this app benefitted the experience? I have actually stumbled upon some bad reviews of the app... what is your opinion?

MagicBands: yay or nay? They seem legit (I've already planned to pick green). The only problem I can imagine would be the oh-you-just-got-back-from-disney tan line on the whole family's wrists.

Be Our Guest Restaurant: How is it? More importantly, how is the food? We were never a fan of the dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table (though apparently that has changed too), so we are worried it is similar to that, as in, paying for atmosphere.

Lastly, the most important question of all:
Remy at Chefs de France: I heard he was hanging out there FOR LIMITED TIME. When is that limited time period over. Ratatouille is one of my favorite movies and (besides never have eaten at Chefs de France) probably my biggest reason for including it in our ADRs.

Other than that, anyone know of anything else I have been missing out on that in the last 6 years that I should be reminded of?

Thanks for the opinions :mickey:

Hammer
10-22-2013, 12:45 AM
MyExperience App: Believe it or not, in 2007, there wasn't all these apps and smart phones. You even had to pay for internet if you wanted it in your room, now it is complimentary! How has this app benefitted the experience? I have actually stumbled upon some bad reviews of the app... what is your opinion?

This is still in the testing phases. Like with almost everything in this world, there are good and bad things about the app. Not really sure how it will be when you go in May.

Be Our Guest Restaurant: How is it? More importantly, how is the food? We were never a fan of the dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table (though apparently that has changed too), so we are worried it is similar to that, as in, paying for atmosphere.

I'll be posting my review of dinner there in Dining in the next few days. The food was good, but they tried to rush us through our meal, which is a big dining no-no for me :nono: . Won't be trying to go back there anytime soon for that reason alone, which is a shame because the food was good.

Lastly, the most important question of all:
Remy at Chefs de France: I heard he was hanging out there FOR LIMITED TIME. When is that limited time period over. Ratatouille is one of my favorite movies and (besides never have eaten at Chefs de France) probably my biggest reason for including it in our ADRs.

Remy will no longer be making appearences at Chefs de France after October 24th. I still say try eating there. It tasty French bistro food.

Pirate Granny
10-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Loved BoG and we weren't rushed. We've eaten there for lunch (counter service, no reservations) and dinner (table service reservations required). Loved it, and not as pricey as CT. The beast does roam during dinner, but NOT to stop at tables for pictures. Remi was only there during lunch, never for dinner. It was very cute, worth eating there. Sorry he will shortly we gone.

faline
10-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Middle of May weather is typically quite hot and is already getting humid though the humidity is not quite as high as it would be later in the summer. May tends to be relatively dry though you could still experience some strong thunder storms.

Disney has released two apps in the last few years and I have used both of them. Until now, I have used the app mostly to check on ride wait times; to view restaurant dining availability and to make dining reservations. With the new fastpass+ system, I can see that I will likely need to rely on the app even more as it will hold all your fastpass+ ride times as well as your dining and room reservation information.

I suspect that, by May, you will have no choice but to have Magic Bands. This device will serve as your room key (with charging priveleges, if desired); your park entrance tickets; and the way you would get fastpasses (whatever the system might look like by May).

We had dinner at Be Our Guest in August. Somehow, we stumbled upon a dinner reservation though they were very hard to get. While the surrounding are quite impressive, we were not wowed by the experience. Fortuantely, we sat in one of the smaller rooms. I think the noise and activity level in the main ballroom would be even less conducive to "fine dining". Our meals were adequate. I thought my dinner was rather bland. Service was good but, again, not really on a level I would expect with upscale dining. My husband and I have discussed this since our meal and he had impressions similar to mine. We might dine here again but would not rush back - it is certainly not on my "must do" list.