PDA

View Full Version : Disney World Nanny - Convenient or Unnecessary?

SarahAlthea
10-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Hello, my name is Sarah and I am looking for some input from Moms/Dads about possibly being a "Disney World Nanny".

The Idea: To provide a Disney World Nanny service, where I would meet a family in the park and be that extra hand you always seem to need to help keep up with your kids at a theme park.

My Background: I am the oldest of ten kids and was a nanny for two years to two little boys ages 2 &4. I have run multiple Summer camps and work for a company that runs Youth Sports leagues. I have also coached Middle School girls Volleyball. I will be getting full CPR and First Aid training as well as lifeguard certification in the next few months.

Why I want to be a Disney Nanny: I LOVE DISNEY WORLD! And the best part to me is seeing the little kids enjoying the magic. Because to them, it really is magic! Basically, I just want an excuse to go to Disney a lot and play with little kids. Who wouldn't!

How it will work: Using a website I will connect with families via Phone conversations, Skype, and references (both for them and for me). I live an hour and a half from the park, so I would just meet my families at the park or their hotel at a designated time each day.

The Cost: I already have a Disney pass, and will renew if this works out, so I am thinking I will charge $50-$75 per kid per day. Plus any reserved dining or other activities that are not covered with my pass would have to be payed for by the family.

Please let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Strmchsr
10-21-2013, 02:16 PM
:welcome: to Intercot Sarah!

I'm not sure the idea would work out too well. Most families go to Disney to spend time together as a family and I'm not sure they would want an unknown person along. The greater need is usually for babysitting/nanny services for the resorts if the parents want to go out for an evening without the kids. There are already well-established services for that, so you might look into joining with one of those companies if this concept appeals to you.

Maybe there are some families who are different, but speaking for me I wouldn't want anyone else along. I go to the park to spend time with my kids, not have someone else take care of them.

dnickels
10-21-2013, 03:45 PM
I think it'd be a tough sell. Of the families I know who have nannies or the like, they just fly the nanny down for the trip with them. Like Chris said, I don't know that most families that go to Disney are going to be looking for a stranger to hang out with them and the kids while they're in the parks.

Your setup costs would probably be low so there's not much downside to trying, but I wouldn't quit your day job to get this going or anything.

BrerGnat
10-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Someone has already thought of this. Disney is contracted with an agency that they recommend to families who need in room babysitting or in park accompaniment. Why not try and get hired by that company? The company is called Kids Night Out.

Hammer
10-21-2013, 04:35 PM
I think it'd be a tough sell. Of the families I know who have nannies or the like, they just fly the nanny down for the trip with them. Like Chris said, I don't know that most families that go to Disney are going to be looking for a stranger to hang out with them and the kids while they're in the parks.

I agree. The people who have nannies for their children will just bring them along for the trip. When we stayed at the Grand Floridian in the Sugarloaf building a few years ago, I noticed many families with their nannies staying there.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-21-2013, 05:09 PM
I agree. If I could afford a nanny I would just bring them with me to the parks. Otherwise I would use a reputable company that Disney endorses because I would feel they had been thoroughly checked out. Not sure how safe I would feel with an independant nanny and I wouldn't take any chances with my kids.:( Sorry but I agree you should try to hire on with one of the other companies already out there.

brownie
10-21-2013, 07:31 PM
:welcome:

Sarah, welcome to INTERCOT! I'm not sure how well this would work. Keep in mind that self-promotion isn't allowed here on INTERCOT.

Terra
10-22-2013, 06:14 AM
:welcome:

I think it's awesome you love Disney so much:mickey: and want to help families enjoy the magic.

But I do agree with the other posters.
Personally, as often as I go to Disney which is 1-2 times monthly, I've never seen a need for a nanny.

On another note, enjoy Intercot!!! :)