PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

tundramom
10-19-2013, 04:48 PM
My DD is in her first year at college and having a great time of it. She hangs out with a group she met through marching band (yeah, band geeks) who tend to hang out in each others' rooms watching movies, etc. Apparently, she accidentally tripped over a friend's laptop (on the floor) and now the screen doesn't work. She feels terrible, of course. We took it to a local repair shop (Fujita with a swivel screen) and they are willing to look at it for $35. Bottom line, is that it may be over $200 if they can locate a new screen. DD doesn't have a job this semester and is paying her way through college (student loans). I told her that I think it is fair to offer to pay half, in light of the circumstances. I'm sure if the shoe were on the other foot that she may not even get that from another student. (btw this friend's parents told her "oh, well" when she told them about her laptop). If this were intentional, or malicious, then I'd absolutely make her pay 100%, but it was accidental and I have drilled into my DD that you have to be careful with your things if you expect to keep them (we don't have the kind of money for the latest and greatest electronic gadget and tend to use something until it dies no matter how outdated it may be). What do you all think?:confused:

VWL Mom
10-19-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm guessing it's a Fijitsu Tablet you're referring too. Is the screen cracked? If not is it possible that a wire came loose? If not based on the price $200 doesn't seem too bad.

Do you know if the girl/parents has any sort of insurance policy on the laptop which is offered to college students? For example, I pay $85 per year and it covers all of my sons belongings ($3500 max). There is a $50 deductible. Most colleges send it out in their first mailing.

If not and my son had been responsible for breaking it, then I would offer to pay for the repairs in full, sorry.

vicster
10-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Why did the girl leave the laptop on the floor? That's just asking for trouble. She's partially responsible for being negligent.

tundramom
10-19-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm guessing it's a Fijitsu Tablet you're referring too. Is the screen cracked? If not is it possible that a wire came loose? If not based on the price $200 doesn't seem too bad.

Do you know if the girl/parents has any sort of insurance policy on the laptop which is offered to college students? For example, I pay $85 per year and it covers all of my sons belongings ($3500 max). There is a $50 deductible. Most colleges send it out in their first mailing.

If not and my son had been responsible for breaking it, then I would offer to pay for the repairs in full, sorry.

Her parents aren't willing to put any effort into (per DD) so I am assuming no insurance. According to my DD they "got" the computer thru the government. Apparently her dad is military (at least that's my DD's perception) and this girl told my daughter that her education is 100% paid for govt also. While I fully support our military (and certainly mean no disrespect) my mind set is this: my DH and I both work full time+ and have for 25 years and are still struggling to pay for her college education. I don't think it is too much to ask for them to chip in, mostly because I feel the same way as vicster -that she is partially responsible.

SBETigg
10-19-2013, 08:51 PM
I agree that the laptop owner and your daughter are partially responsible, but more the laptop owner as your daughter had no reason to expect a laptop on the floor. Offering to pay half is more than generous. My daughter's college friends spilled a beverage on her laptop that she left on a desk in their room, and it was all on us. She didn't ask her friends for money because she left her laptop in their room and just assumed responsibility for her own negligence. I think it's more than considerate that you offered to pay anything, and all you really owe is half or less, certainly not full responsibility. Who leaves a laptop on the floor?

VWL Mom
10-19-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't think it is too much to ask for them to chip in, mostly because I feel the same way as vicster -that she is partially responsible.

Totally understandable.

Funny thing is, if DS left his computer on the floor and someone stepped on it I would say it was his fault for leaving it on the floor in the first place. My kids can't win with me...lol.

buzznwoodysmom
10-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Totally understandable.

Funny thing is, if DS left his computer on the floor and someone stepped on it I would say it was his fault for leaving it on the floor in the first place. My kids can't win with me...lol.

I am the same way with my kids. If my kid broke someone's laptop, even accidentally, I would tell him it was his responsibility to pay to fix it. On the other hand if it were my son who left his laptop on the floor I would tell him he was being irresponsible and he should pay it. My poor kids can't win with me either!

What I think is happening with the OP is the other parents aren't holding their own child responsible for her actions. Sad, but I see this so often. One of my neighbor's kids spilled a cup of Orange soda on a laptop in my son's room last Halloween and ruined it. He wasn't even supposed to have drinks in the room to start with. The parents never offered to replace or try to repair it. Just shrugged like they were scared to say anything for fear we'd ask them to fix it.

Tiggerlovr9000
10-19-2013, 09:43 PM
My sons things were covered on our homeowners policy when he was in college. I think you should not expect a laptop to be on the floor when you visit a friend in their dorm room. And if it's anything like my dds it probably was covered with clothes. I really don't think you dd should have to pay any of it. Her parents may not want replace it because like my dds they have told her over and over again to quit leaving her stuff laying around.

tundramom
10-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am the same with with my DD. I am constantly telling her that she needs to think of all of the possible things that could go wrong, and work on prevention. If she left her laptop on the floor and it got damaged, she'd be so out of luck. The only reason we are talking about helping is because she already verbally committed, she really has a good heart, and she is very responsible. I don't want to convey to her that it is OK to go back on your word, but I've seen her good nature taken advantage of in the past.