PDA

View Full Version : Jan crowds

squijee
10-11-2013, 03:47 PM
We have booked a trip the first week of Jan. Never been at this time. How are crowds?

Susan A
10-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Look at a few topics below about the least crowded anyone has seen the parks. Many of them mention January.

The first week is iffy because all kids aren't back in school yet. It also depends on what day of the week New Year's Day falls on.

Strmchsr
10-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Jan used to be really uncrowded, now it's fairly crowded - all month, not just the first week - due to the popularity with the South American tour groups. It's their summer break and they arrive in Jan in huge groups. The parks aren't packed by any means, but the groups can make life difficult if you get in the same area as one of them.

squijee
10-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Not the dreaded BTG....tell me it will be okay and they are not staying at POP:mad:

Strmchsr
10-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Not the dreaded BTG....tell me it will be okay and they are not staying at POP:mad:

Usually not. Some stay at Pop but it's usually the All-Stars and POR and/or CBR where they stay.

gottaluvtink
10-21-2013, 11:14 AM
We were there last January and unfortunately due to my daughter's college schedule, we are going again this January. As mentioned, the tour groups are horrendous! There really weren't a lot at All Star Sports, where we stayed, but there were swarms of them in the parks and they are extremely obnoxious. I am hoping some of them stay home this year! :mad:

Gator
10-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Don't let them scare you off with the Tour Groups. They're not all that bad. They move in packs, so just move ahead of them or work around them. And I think they have their own charter coaches, so they don't effect bus travel too much.

Crowds should be just fine after the 5th. Have fun. I love January! (unless you factor in that SplashMT is always closed then).

Melanie
10-21-2013, 03:48 PM
I disagree with Gator, and find that every year the tour groups get worse and worse. January used to be our chosen month at WDW. Unfortunately, not any more. We are only going this coming year because of the marathon. We will always avoid the tour groups in the future. It makes me sad. :(

Middle of the Map
10-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Gosh, I thought the South American tour groups were usually there in summer (their winter).
Now, they are coming up in our winter (their summer) too?

If you can get up early and get to the parks before these groups rise and shine, you will have some good touring time. Early risers also avoid the crush at the food courts, at least in the Value resorts.

Good luck.

mickclub1955
10-21-2013, 05:23 PM
I am going to be there Jan 7th thru the 12th. I hope it isn't that bad!!!!!

Strmchsr
10-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Gosh, I thought the South American tour groups were usually there in summer (their winter).
Now, they are coming up in our winter (their summer) too?

Not only that, but they have also been at the parks in droves this October (their spring break).

Melanie
10-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Not only that, but they have also been at the parks in droves this October (their spring break).

Seriously, Chris? Wow. Just wow.

Strmchsr
10-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Seriously, Chris? Wow. Just wow.

When I was there earlier this month they were everywhere. Every park I went in it was as bad as January. Now, the good news is i think Disney has been making serious efforts to speak with the tour groups about American customs and such because there wasn't near the chanting, hollering, and general mayhem I've seen in the past (some, but not much). They were actually fine in terms of behavior. The problem was just they were everywhere and a pack showed up the line wait time jumped 30 min. I couldn't just go to another ride because there was a group there, too.

Mariano O'Kon
10-21-2013, 07:55 PM
This thread is borderline to being as politically uncorrect as I have ever seen around here...

In any case, it's just a bunch of people that speak a different language having a good time as everyone else.

If someone is being rude just let them know as you would anyone from the US in July or August, or ignore them, whatever you do with the folks that speak the same language as you do.

They don't bite. They just speak a different language.

Mariano :mickey:

PS:
Yes, I live in South America.
Nope, I don't live in the country where most of these groups come from.
Yes, I am going this January as it is my Summer time and my kids can come with me.
Yes, I also avoid the groups for the same reasons.
No, they don't break the WDW experience at all.

Strmchsr
10-22-2013, 08:09 AM
This thread is borderline to being as politically uncorrect as I have ever seen around here...

Mariano, the problem has nothing to do with where the groups are from or their culture. You'll see similar discussions about the cheerleading groups in February or any large groups. The problem in the past (and, as I mentioned it seemed much better this past trip) is that these are very large groups that travel in packs, meaning if they move towards an attraction you want you have to go somewhere else or your wait time just jumped 30 min. That would be no big deal with one group but when you have large numbers of these groups in the park at the same time it can really cause problems. I saw a Fantasmic performance sold out almost exclusively with about 20 of these groups getting in line. There's also been problems in the past with the groups running around chanting and being pretty loud and cutting in line. I spend a lot of time in South America and love the people. This isn't an issue with South America or any country or culture or different language. It's an issue with a large number of large groups of teenagers which make the parks more difficult to enjoy. I think if the groups broke up and allowed folks to travel in smaller groups of 3 or 5 or whatever, it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Middle of the Map
10-23-2013, 07:56 PM

Wow! I think Disney should look into building a park somewhere in South America.
Have to agree with Strmchsr -- it's the sheer volume of people in the parks, not their nationality.

Just imagine if a park was full of little old grannies and grampas, all moving slowly with their walkers and canes. A similar slow-down would occur.

1DisneyNut
10-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Wow! I think Disney should look into building a park somewhere in South America.
Have to agree with Strmchsr -- it's the sheer volume of people in the parks, not their nationality.

Just imagine if a park was full of little old grannies and grampas, all moving slowly with their walkers and canes. A similar slow-down would occur.

I completely agree. Seriously, as many of these tour groups as there are coming here, there should be a market for one of their own parks. I could see a Rio de Janeiro Disneyland doing really well.

As for Mariano O'Kon's comment about this thread being politically uncorrect, I am not a politician nor do I care to be one. I am not in a public position of any sort so I can voice my opinion without having to worry about losing votes or losing a job. My opinion is the Brazilian Tour Groups are completely obnoxious. I hope that Disney is actually communicating with them and working to tone the chanting and behavior down. By the same token, I hope they have been talking to the cheerleader groups as well. One way they can control it is with money. You simply convey to them that they are causing such a disruption with other guests that they are in danger of losing business and therefore the cost must be passed on to them. Jack the tour group rates up and get their attention.

Back on topic, January can vary wildly depending upon the conventions that are in town. I have been when the National Association of Homebuilders convention was in town in January and the parks were packed. It is in Las Vegas this year so it won't be a problem. Last year the National Association for Automobile Dealers was in town in January so it was busy that week. I haven't looked at the convention schedule for this year but you can find it on the Orange County Covention Centers schedule. If there are big national associations having conventions, you can bet the parks will be fairly busy because the members bring along their family who go to the park during the day.

gottaluvtink
10-25-2013, 10:47 AM
It's not being politically incorrect, it is STATING A FACT! I had so many South Americans trying to skip lines at Animal Kingdom last year, that my daughter and I just eventually left. They were rude, and obnoxious. I held a group of them behind me because they cut under the chain on Everest. I would not let them ahead of me, and thank goodness, when I got to the top, I informed the cast member, and she removed them from the line. Groups of them walk like an army and they don't care who is in the path. They about took out an older couple. They are awful! That's a FACT!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Oh no when in October? We are going Oct 29-Nov 4 next year.:(

Strmchsr
10-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Oh no when in October? We are going Oct 29-Nov 4 next year.:(

I don't know that. The groups were present all week while I was there Oct 4-11. Not sure if it's all month or not.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-25-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't know that. The groups were present all week while I was there Oct 4-11. Not sure if it's all month or not.

:( Hopefully not, we've always gone Christmas week and although I know there's not a slow time I was hoping we wouldn't have to deal with the huge crowds.

Mariano O'Kon
10-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Let's just agree to disagree.

When you generalize and talk about the "Brazilians" or "South Americans", you are being unfair.

Brazil has a population of 200M, in South America we are around 400M, and if you include Latin America overall, we are talking about 600M.

Therefore, because you were unlucky to had a a bad experience with a small number of people (yes, 1000 is a small number compared to 200M) that were obnoxious, that doesn't mean that all people from a country are the same.

Don't get me wrong, whenever I see a big group of people, I avoid them. Usually when people move in big groups do not show their best behaviour.

As I said, let's agree to disagree on what is, or not, being politically incorrect.

Cheers! Mariano :mickey:

squijee
10-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Okay I am getting really concerned. My elderly mother will be with us and I don't want her to get bowled over by some rude teenagers who fall back on the excuse that they don't speak english when you ask them to be careful or not break in line or whatever. Are they there the first week of Feb?

Strmchsr
10-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Are they there the first week of Feb?

As I mentioned before, I didn't see as much of the rudeness as I have on previous trips this time and in July when I was there. The problem is just being around several huge groups. But, to answer your question, the groups seem to taper off big time the around the first of February. Not completely gone, but far fewer.

gottaluvtink
10-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Let's just agree to disagree.

When you generalize and talk about the "Brazilians" or "South Americans", you are being unfair.

Brazil has a population of 200M, in South America we are around 400M, and if you include Latin America overall, we are talking about 600M.

Therefore, because you were unlucky to had a a bad experience with a small number of people (yes, 1000 is a small number compared to 200M) that were obnoxious, that doesn't mean that all people from a country are the same.

Don't get me wrong, whenever I see a big group of people, I avoid them. Usually when people move in big groups do not show their best behaviour.

As I said, let's agree to disagree on what is, or not, being politically incorrect.

Cheers! Mariano :mickey:

I did not say all people in Brazil, or all people from South America, I was referring to the South Americans who go to Disney World. I have never been to South America, so I cant say how the behavior is there. I just know from experience, that in Disney World, while I have been there, the people who were cutting lines, and being rude were groups from South America. Once again, just stating a fact!

*NikkiJ*
11-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Ill be visiting in January as it was the only time DH and I could get off with our schedules...I can tolerate all, I guess it comes from years of being a teacher I would love an uncrowded Wdw just as much as anyone for the obvious reasons...

Anyone know if there is a schedule posted large groups, like the marathon runners or others? I planned to stay at the CSR but I worry it might be packed if there is a large convention.

Thanks!