PDA

View Full Version : At what age do you ditch the stroller

Lizzie
10-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Planning our next trip for fall of next year. Our youngest two will be 4 and 5 we are planning on the double stroller for them. Our oldest (twins) will be 8 part of me wants to bring a single for them. I just remember as a kid walking around Disneyland and my feet and legs being so tired. And DW is so much bigger.
But I don't really want to carry another stroller on the bus. And rentals at the parks are so expensive.

At what age do you start having your kids walk?

cer
10-10-2013, 11:17 AM
My kids were 5 and 7 on our first trip to Disney World. It never even occured to me to get them a stroller and we did not need one at all.

BrerGnat
10-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Our last trip with a stroller was when our younger son had just turned 4 and the older was 5.5. The older one walked all week. Once we returned from that trip, we basically stopped using the stroller altogether. We were DL locals at that time and my 4 year old did a 6 hour DL park day walking and did fine, so that was the end of the stroller.

If I were in your shoes, I'd bring a single umbrella stroller for the 4 year old and the rest can walk. JMO.

KylesMom
10-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Although the last time we brought DS' stroller was when he was 5, he didn't use it much that trip and like Natalie, we did away with the stroller entirely after that.

AgentC
10-10-2013, 11:41 AM
I basically stopped with both of mine when they each turned 5. My daughter turned 5 this April. My son (7) would occasionally jump in his stroller (when I had a larger size one) if she wasn't using it. We did our April trip strollerless.

However, even though I never bring a stroller with me, there are occasionally days particularly when it is very hot or when we have stayed in the park very late that I have gone and rented a Disney stroller for part of the day because it makes my life easier.

For example we went to MNSSHP mid September. We spent the whole morning in a park, went back to the hotel, then back to MK for the party. By 10 pm she was starting to fade, so I went and got a stroller which ended up being a wise decision since she fell asleep on the way out of the park. However the next day at Epcot, she walked all day.

I find for my kids, it is better to start with the expectation that they will walk.

yjgirl32
10-10-2013, 11:53 AM
My ds was 7 when we last used the stroller. We didn't use it the whole time or much at all- except for MNSSHP. He crashed in it before we left the park. Most days we didn't take it with us.

1DisneyNut
10-10-2013, 11:54 AM
We quit using strollers at around 5 or 6. They made it fine and we stay in the parks from opening or a little after all the way until closing.

I find it a little absurd seeing these parents pushing around 10 and 11 year olds in strollers but we see it every time we go. Wonder why obesity is such a problem? lol

There is no way I would bring a double stroller. Those things are a nightmare to deal with in crowds and getting on and off the bus. We used one the first trip we had two little ones and swore to never use it again. We used umbrella strollers from that point.

Lizzie
10-10-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't mind double strollers. We have used them in Disneyland in adventure land when it's crowded you just be patient.
Think will go with our first call and just bring the double.

We love our double it enables my husband to take the older kids on rides and for me to take the younger two around by myself.

kakn7294
10-10-2013, 12:47 PM
We went when our younger DD was almost 5. We had an umbrella stroller in the car that never made it out of the trunk. The next year, she did end up using a stroller but only because my 8 yo niece had been very sick early on in the trip and easily tired so my sister rented a double. My daughter took advantage and squeezed in whenever she could.

For each of us, this will be different depending on your kids and their stamina, how much they still rely on a stroller day-to-day at home, how much stuff you schlep around, etc.

Lindsey
10-10-2013, 12:50 PM
When I was a kid my parents only got a stroller once, it was for my 4 year old sister, my 3 other siblings and myself walked. My sister didn't really like being in the stroller though, so we didn't use it much.
When I took my sister and her 3 year old to WDW we didn't use a stroller at all. Her son had just turned 3, (he had is Birthday in the Magic Kingdom), and he had zero interest in a stroller. He wanted to walk around, and that was fine with us.

AgentC
10-10-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't mind double strollers. We have used them in Disneyland in adventure land when it's crowded you just be patient.
Think will go with our first call and just bring the double.

We love our double it enables my husband to take the older kids on rides and for me to take the younger two around by myself.

:Ditto: When both of my kids were under 5, I loved my double stroller. However we also always had a car because I hate taking strollers on the buses.

Goes4FastPass
10-10-2013, 02:17 PM
If the 8YOs are looking for a stroller that may be a sign it's time to go back the room and hang out a while.

W've also done the 'transitional' thing of ride in the stroller to a central spot in a 'land' and runa round from attraction to attraction then back to the stroller.

If you find your asking each other "where did we leave the stroller?" then the stroller may be more bother than help.

I have the impression sometimes that there were late staying adults livin' their Disney Dream pushing kids asleep in strollers who would be better off in bed.

buzznwoodysmom
10-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Planning our next trip for fall of next year. Our youngest two will be 4 and 5 we are planning on the double stroller for them. Our oldest (twins) will be 8 part of me wants to bring a single for them. I just remember as a kid walking around Disneyland and my feet and legs being so tired. And DW is so much bigger.
But I don't really want to carry another stroller on the bus. And rentals at the parks are so expensive.

At what age do you start having your kids walk?

Just the fact that you will already have two kids in strollers I would not even consider strollers for the 8 year olds. And honestly, at 8 they probably won't want to be seen riding in a stroller anyway.

MNNHFLTX
10-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Believe it or not, we never used a stroller at Disney World, even when my son was little (his first visit was at 3 years old). But in general, we stopped using a stroller at 4 or so, mainly because my son didn't want to ride in them anymore. When we were at Disney World we just went slower and took lots of rest periods (and my son got the occasional ride on Dad's shoulders!)

amorillo
10-10-2013, 03:23 PM
It looks like i'm in the minority here... but i used them for my children until they surpassed the stroller weight limits. We've always bought moderately priced strollers that tend to have a higher weight limit (around 50lbs) and i'm pretty sure we used them for our oldest two children until they were 8-9... They didn't always stay in them the entire day... but they were great for waiting and watching parades and fireworks. Our youngest children will be 5 & 8 on our next trip and they will both have strollers for the trip.

Susan A
10-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Mine are 5 & 7 and we still use the stroller at amusement parks. We recently forgot a stroller at a small park and they did ok. But many days in a row is tiring. For every step you take, little ones need to take at least two more.

Eight years old, I don't know... A friend if mine took her 7 year old to disney and after a few days they needed to rent a stroller (a double one so he could fit in it)!

My son likes to get in the stroller and pull the canopy down to take a break. Both of my kids get sensory overloaded.

If you don't bring it and then decide you need it, just rent it.

Good luck

greengeen
10-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Three.

And when my kids got tired, which was (surprisingly) not often, we either stopped and rested or went back to the resort.

Pirate Granny
10-10-2013, 09:44 PM
We took DGS who was turning 4 and he never balked at getting in the combi. Folded nicely and had a strap to carry over my shoulder like a purse. We will be bringing a sit and stand for him and his cousin next May...my daughter loves it in the airports,especially when traveling alone with both her daughters!

chefmickey3
10-10-2013, 10:14 PM
We had brought a stroller when my youngest was 4 but he only used it on an EPCOT day. That was our last trip with a stroller.

IloveJack
10-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Since we now have 3 kids, we just bought a sit & stand. My plan is that my just-turned-5 yo can stand, my 2 yo can ride, and I will wear my 6 mo on our trip this year. Then, next June, when we plan to go again, the 6 mo can ride, and the 5 and 2 yo can stand/sit together (they are tiny enough to sit side-by-side in the back still).

Our 5 yo often wants to walk, but we use the stroller to contain her in heavy crowds, more than for her to rest. She's incredibly social, and has no problem at all heading off on her own. Plus, this allows DH to go ride by himself and me to still be able to push one stroller for all three kids, instead of trying to deal with two umbrella strollers on my own.

DonLefNY
10-11-2013, 12:46 PM
For us the last time we used a stroller was in 1997 when my daughter was 5 and son 6.

Scrappy2
10-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Really depends on the child. We carried it when DGS was 3. That is what I literally mean. We lugged it on buses and around park and he very rarely used it. He never liked a stroller so it was more for us to just store things. Last couple of trips we have not brought the stroller. I carried a Kavu bag. He is now 5 and we are going in November and I plan on carrying nothing.

disneykidsince1970
10-12-2013, 05:02 AM
It is a tricky one. I have a tiny 8 yr old and an average 6 yr old. They are both certainly capable of walking but... last year, we rented single strollers for each of them - whenever we went at NIGHT.

When it is crowded and people are pushing or trying to get the best spot for the parade or just to get out of the park... I want my kids in front of me, sitting down, where I don't have to worry about them either getting squished or lost. Sometimes they are happy for the seat and other times, they want to walk - but at that point in the night - it isn't an option. "Sit down."

It is my Type A personality at work. What can I say? I do wish that they had a 1/2 day rate on the rental though!!

Giggy
10-13-2013, 08:12 AM
I guess it depends on the child. When we first went in 1998 my sister was 4 and she coped just fine walking everywhere.

On the other hand in 2010 when she was 16 she'd started having problems with her joints and would have loved a stroller on a couple of days! :secret:

Melanie
10-13-2013, 08:16 AM
We only had one trip where my youngest used a stroller, and he was 3. Otherwise, they walked or rode on dad's shoulders.

Terra
10-13-2013, 10:13 AM
We went when our younger DD was almost 5. We had an umbrella stroller in the car that never made it out of the trunk. The next year, she did end up using a stroller but only because my 8 yo niece had been very sick early on in the trip and easily tired so my sister rented a double. My daughter took advantage and squeezed in whenever she could.

For each of us, this will be different depending on your kids and their stamina, how much they still rely on a stroller day-to-day at home, how much stuff you schlep around, etc.

Yes to the bolded/underlined.

For us I still use it. I live only 45 minutes away and go often. My youngest, 5 years old, alternates between walking/riding. He still likes to nap, so I take it for that.

My oldest I always take it. He'll be 7 in one month. He has ASD/SPD/ some anxiety as well. When he's feeling very overwhelmed he likes to get in it and 'hide'. Especially standing in lines because it makes him feel like he has his own space and makes the waiting a bit more bearable so no one touches him.

Personally I like having it. In some ways it's nice to go hands free, but honestly I like it to keep track of them too when it's super busy. OR It's nice to carry the stuff that we buy.

:mickey:

waymickey
10-14-2013, 09:49 AM
We took our Dd for her third birthday. She rode in the stroller the first day and that was it. We wound up leaving the stroller at ASS with a sign saying "I am a big girl now! free for anyone who needs it." She walked around all the parks after that with no problems. Tired her out a bit and made afternoon naps very nice. To be honest she was never a big stroller girl. She liked the independence of walking. Every child and family is different so plan for what works best for you.

DANAM
10-14-2013, 11:09 AM
I am a strong believer that it depends on the child. My oldest is Adhd and had a tendency to walk off. We kept her in a stroller until 5 for that reason alone. She walked at 6 I would say 90% of the trip and sat in my sons stroller for that 10%. She did better then I expected her to although holding hands was an issue. My son has anxiety issues and our last trip at 7 years old we didn't bring a stroller. For him it was more of a comfort level issue. Walking in huge crowds was a little overwhelming for him. We ended up renting a stroller 2 of the 9 days we were there. I budgeted myself tor 4 days so we did better then expected. I suggest if you own a single stroller bring it with you. Leave it at the hotel for the first day and see how they do. If you will have a late night I would suggest taking it. Believe me I carried my son from Canada to Norway and I wish I had a stroller that night.

ANG
10-15-2013, 02:30 PM
My kids are 2 and 4 so we have a few more years. But DS1 is special needs and must have the stroller for sensory reasons. I Can't imagine a 4yr old or younger walking all day like that.

Gator
10-17-2013, 03:43 PM
We took a double and a single on our last trip for a 7, 5, and 1yo. Obviously, the smallest one needed it. The 7 and 5yo probably could've done without the double... if we were there for just a few days. But we had a 9-full-days-in-the-park trip, and I knew I had to keep those legs fresh. The kids did some walking at DHS as we didn't feel the need for two strollers at the small park. But it helped for all the other parks. Plus, and this is a big plus, it gives you control over your kids as you walk to the next attraction. No holding hands all day, no looking around to see if my son is next to me or so far behind he's in another group, and no complaining from the pain as we walk out at the end of the night. The next trip will be without it, but I can say at the ages they were, I'd do it again. Besides, if I wasn't hauling a stoller onto the bus, I'd feel like I wasn't living up to my fatherly duties.:mickey: