PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Gear w/o Stroller

wiltsan
10-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Hello Everybody - Returning to WDW this month after a two year hiatus (gasp and can't wait!) and during this trip my DD will be too old/big for a stroller. I have come to terms with the fact that we will have to slow things down a bit as she will be on foot :( but because the stroller was not only good for her resting, our aggressive but fun touring but packing all your gear, wondered if any of you had tips on the best way to tour with gear w/o the stroller?

We would typically throw the following in the under basket: couple bottles of water, sunscreen, sweatshirts, rain slickers, 35mm camera, snacks and all our treasures that we buy throughout the day. We tend to not like to have to go back to room multiple times a day and seems like alot for a backpack. Let us know what has worked for you. Thanks!

AgentC
10-09-2013, 11:16 AM
We stopped using a stroller this year when my daughter turned 5.

We would pack the stroller with pretty much the same stuff as you except I normally use my phone as my camera. The first trip without it we tried putting all our stuff in a back pack. I hated it. I know people carry them all the time but it was not for me. It was heavy and it was always in the way. My husband and I found ourselves passing it back and forth all day.

Since then we really try to just bring the basics -suncreen, phones, maybe few small snacks. I bring a small cross body purse and my husband wears cargo shorts. I'm amazed by how much he can fit in those pockets!

If the forecast does haven't at least a 40%-50% chance of rain we don't bring our ponchos. If it rains, we get wet or buy new ones. If the forecast was for heavy rain, I would bring a small back pack.

If the option is going to work for us, I send packages to the front of the park or to our resort. If not I try to buy things toward the end of the day to not carry them all day.

Overall it works for us to go lighter though I do really really miss the cup holders on my stroller! :D

wiltsan
10-09-2013, 11:25 AM
LOL, thanks for the feedback Cindy. I, too, will miss the cup holders. And agree, with the backpacks it can get really hot and tend to worry about them looped around legs on rides. I am thinking about starting "training" with my daughter with evening walks :). We started going to WDW way before we had kids and so we are used to being able to hoof it all day and alot less gear. Thanks again!

kakn7294
10-09-2013, 03:23 PM
We have learned to carry only that which we need. Take a travel-sized bottle of sunscreen instead of the big one - refill it in your room each night if necessary. Take the rain ponchos only when it looks like they'll be needed or take lightweight, cheap, throw-away ones and fold them into zip-top baggies. We never take water bottles as we just buy drinks in the parks as we become thirsty - it's better when it's cold anyway. Each of us carries either a drawstring backpack or a crossbody bag and we split the stuff up between them. Hubby usually gets the rain gear, I get the camera and my stuff, and the kids get whatever it is that they want to bring - autograph book and cameras, etc. For purchases, small things can go into the backpacks and larger items are sent back to the resort, package pickup, or shipped home.

FaithTrustPixieDust
10-10-2013, 09:36 AM
I used to carry a *small* backpack. Small enough that it wasn't heavy or bulky enough to bother me. We would still carry the small backpack on days that we feel the need to lug around: jackets/sweatshirts, ponchos, or pin lanyards. (Good grief, those pin lanyards kill me.)

Now that we are a more *ahem* experienced Disney family, we carry less and less. A small cross-the-shoulder purse for me and DH always wears CARGO SHORTS. Those cargo pockets are essential for carrying drinks, Chip and Dale beanies, you know . . .the really important stuff. :chip::dale:

KylesMom
10-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Each of us carries either a drawstring backpack or a crossbody bag and we split the stuff up between them. Hubby usually gets the rain gear, I get the camera and my stuff, and the kids get whatever it is that they want to bring - autograph book and cameras, etc. For purchases, small things can go into the backpacks and larger items are sent back to the resort, package pickup, or shipped home.
We do the same - divide and conquer so that no one is "holding the bag" so to speak. It will be an adjustment at first, but it's much better than searching for that missing stroller at the end of each attraction! :D

Scar
10-10-2013, 12:53 PM
$1 disposable poncho in rear pocket.
Wallet and cell phone in one front pocket.
Bottle of water in other front pocket.
2nd bottle in hand.
Wide brim straw hat on head.
Send purchases to room.

Good to go.

Scar
10-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Oh, and forgot to add, no security check. :thumbsup:

texas211
10-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Did I read someone still has a 35mm camera? They still make film?

We use small backpacks, and cross shoulder sling packs. Small, with some molle straps to connect D rings for incidentals/quick access items.

Dulcee
10-12-2013, 05:22 PM
We carry a backpack, a mid size one I guess. DH is hungry 24/7 so it lets me pack him snacks lol And he doesn't mind carrying it around so it works.

Giggy
10-13-2013, 08:25 AM
We did take a backpack for the last trip but there were 5 of us and everyone was at least 16 so able to take turns in carrying it.

That was the theory at least, I'm not entirely sure it worked out a 20/20/20/20/20 split on carrying time. My Dad seemed to get the worst deal. :secret:

TheVBs
10-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Because you're used to bringing all that stuff, it feels like you need it all, but you'll figure out that you really don't. We don't carry any purses or bags into the parks. Hubby does have those amazing cargo shorts :) and I usually have a couple of pockets. We don't bring drinks and snacks into the parks, we just buy them when we want them. We carry travel sunscreen and a camera and that's about it. Last trip the girls seemed to be pretty much over the autograph books and pin trading, so that further reduced what we were carrying around. And we also have our purchases shipped back to the resort. One of the best perks! :mickey:

DANAM
10-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Our last trip was the first trip without a stroller. I don't like to waste too much money on neccessities in the park. We normally drive to the parks but we do stay on grounds. I carry a messanger bag with my wallet. All tickets tip money ect in that. I buy 4 $1 ponchos just in case it rains. The autograph book and pens. I also carry 4 water bottles that we refill (last trip I discovered every where gives free ice water so you could probably cut that) A ziplock with a couple bandaids wipes sunscreen ect that I reload every am. I also put my slr camara and lenses in that bag. Finally some extra ziplocks for leftovers kids meal items.

My husband carries a backpack. It has an extra shirt for my 2 kids and a couple snacks. If we know it is going to rain we put umbrellas in there. We normally put anything we buy in there. If we are in the parks at night he carries the light up stuff in there.

I know this sounds like a lot of stuff but its really. Not. I reload as needed and try to just take what we need for the day.

wiltsan
10-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks all. Of all the stuff I mentioned we tend to mostly use the sunscreen and camera daily. I forgot about the autograph book/pens. We were always at the ready with a sweatshirt and rainslicker which would just stay in the basket of the stroller for the duration of the trip. We tend not to go back to the room so out and about from 10-10 and hence, why we need all the jackets. Also, I sometimes get cold in the air conditioning. It will be nice to not have all that extra gear now just to condition my DD that she has to walk it and not lose her in the crowds :). Thanks again.

Gator
10-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Overall it works for us to go lighter though I do really really miss the cup holders on my stroller! :D

Amen to that. Once we finally dump the last stroller for kid#3, we'll have to carry that drink around in our hands. WHAT WILL WE DO!!!